Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac picture thread

PowerMac picture thread (Page 28)
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
Here are most of my computer posters:

The NeXT poster (again)
Another shot of the NeXT poster
Picasso Mac Poster
Blue&White G3 Poster
Amiga Dev Con Poster
Amiga Shakespeare Poster (another pic)
Not a poster, but wall-oriented goodness!!

Got them either on eBay or RedLightRunner. The NeXT poster was $100.

I do not have a Cube but I do have a NeXTStation Turbo Color. See pics of it (and some other systems I've had) at my List page. I am currently on the hunt for a particular "We See Farther" game poster from Electronic Arts circa 1983.

Cheers.

blakespot
WOW! The venerable Ti994A with drive storage. Brings back memories of my childhood. Under the Christmas tree back in 1981-2.... at age 13 there began my obsession with computing!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 12:50 PM

The NeXT poster (again)
Picasso Mac Poster
Blue&White G3 Poster
Amiga Dev Con Poster

I do not have a Cube but I do have a NeXTStation Turbo Color. See pics of it (and some other systems I've had) at my List page. I am currently on the hunt for a particular "We See Farther" game poster from Electronic Arts circa 1983.
"I said God damn... god damn."

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 01:20 AM

The NeXT poster (again)
Picasso Mac Poster
Blue&White G3 Poster
Amiga Dev Con Poster

Cheers.

blakespot
you actually got that LED clock? awesome
iamwhor3hay

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 11:37 AM

Finally got around to snapping a pic of the Dual 2.0.

Before you bring it up, I'm searching far and wide for just the right desk for my set-up. It's no easy task when you need drawers. That, and a new monitor is near the top of the list. Logic is window-crazy. I'd like to at least put a 17" next to the old 15".

In the pic: Dual 2.0 (rev A), AI 1.25 Powebook, Alesis M1-A monitors, Nikon Coolscan V ED (<-- nice scanner, BTW!) 20 gig 2G iPod, Delta 44 PCI A/D converter break-out box on top of tower, 120 GB firewire drive, Tascam Portastudio. I've been doing a lot of converting my old 4-track cassette stuff to AIFF lately.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2004, 11:53 AM

Mmmmmm ... dual G5. Sweeet. I approve of the trampoline.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Mmmmmm ... dual G5. Sweeet. I approve of the trampoline.
All you burglars will also note Tessa The Fierce Attack Dog� just outside the door, there.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

OldCodger73
Oct 11, 2004, 02:31 PM

<<Nikon Coolscan V ED (<-- nice scanner, BTW>>

Chris, could you please provide a little more information about the Nikon Coolscan V ED, how well it works, quality of scans, scan times, things you like about it, and things you don't like.

I'm seriously considering purchasing one, it's in my price range, but I have been unable to find information about it by anyone who actually owns and uses one.

Thanks in advance.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Finally got around to snapping a pic of the Dual 2.0.

Before you bring it up, I'm searching far and wide for just the right desk for my set-up. It's no easy task when you need drawers. That, and a new monitor is near the top of the list. Logic is window-crazy. I'd like to at least put a 17" next to the old 15".

In the pic: Dual 2.0 (rev A), AI 1.25 Powebook, Alesis M1-A monitors, Nikon Coolscan V ED (<-- nice scanner, BTW!) 20 gig 2G iPod, Delta 44 PCI A/D converter break-out box on top of tower, 120 GB firewire drive, Tascam Portastudio. I've been doing a lot of converting my old 4-track cassette stuff to AIFF lately.
love the monitors and the mixer. what kind of mousepad thingy is that?
http://www.mafia-designs.com

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by OldCodger73:
<<Nikon Coolscan V ED (<-- nice scanner, BTW>>

Chris, could you please provide a little more information about the Nikon Coolscan V ED, how well it works, quality of scans, scan times, things you like about it, and things you don't like.

I'm seriously considering purchasing one, it's in my price range, but I have been unable to find information about it by anyone who actually owns and uses one.

Thanks in advance.
The scan times aren't fantastic, probably a minute + for a 4000 dpi. But detail-wise and color accuracy-wise, it's really pretty nice. Basically, last spring, Kodak made a new high-end scanner, and shifted the old high-end and mid-range scanners down a notch in price and re-named them. All the Applied Science Fiction stuff is awesome, too. (Kodak basically bought all the digital ICE, etc. stuff from them a couple years ago) The old slide restoration algorithm is fantastic, and the shadow detail enhancer has been a lifesaver for me, because I mainly shoot cave photography. The dust and scratches takes some fine-tuning, but it works quite well also, with a very minor trade-off in sharpness. All the software is pretty slow-- the filters and enhancements were all but unusable on my old Cube-- 10-15 minutes of chugging away post-scan-- but it's acceptable on my Dual 2.0. If I've got a whole battery of filters going, like sharpen, color enhancement, dust and scratches, etc. all on one slide, it can take a minute or so post scanning. The negative strip thing functions pretty well, too.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
love the monitors and the mixer. what kind of mousepad thingy is that?
It's a slab of polished black granite. We had a few left over from tiling our kitchen counter. Very smooth. I was having a problem with the mouse being very jumpy on the faux wood finish, and that fixed 'er up. You can buy 'em at any good tile outlet. Marble works, too.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2004, 11:31 PM

I wonder who's going to be first to post with a 30" display in their setup...

-- james

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 02:21 AM

I would love to replace my two center monitors with a 30".

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by jamesa:

-- james
me here it goes.
hxxp://www.maniwishihaddual30inchdisplaystopostandshowyou butimbrokeandcannotaffordthemever.com

http://www.mafia-designs.com

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
WOW! The venerable Ti994A with drive storage. Brings back memories of my childhood. Under the Christmas tree back in 1981-2.... at age 13 there began my obsession with computing!
Same with me - it was Christmas 1982 when I got my first TI-99/4A - my first computer. I was 10. The one pictured is not the same TI rig I had back then, tho. I only have a few (one two) very poor shots of that one, taken in 1983.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:17 AM

Same with me - it was Christmas 1982 when I got my first TI-99/4A - my first computer. I was 10. The one pictured is not the same TI rig I had back then, tho. I only have a few (one two) very poor shots of that one, taken in 1983.

blakespot
Seems like for ever ago, don't it.... man I can't wait to see what my 4 year old is going to be playing with in his 30's.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 12:45 PM

Updated photo of the inside of my Mac.. with the 6800 monster inside.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...81#post2242259
Apple user since 1981

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 11:43 AM

-- james
It would have been me, but I canceled my G5 and 30"

I thought it would be best to wait a while and see if any issues surfaced.......and they always seem to.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2004, 10:27 AM

I took a pic of my G5...with some friends...last night to add to my list-of-machines page. Have a look.

(The eMate and the MP2100 I just acquired this past week, the MP110 and MP130 I've had for some time now.)

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 12:09 PM

I always thought newtons were pretty cool but I never did warm up to the eMate.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2004, 08:20 AM

These are not mine, but the MacRumors thread has a couple of peoples' 30-inchers:

[ click for bigger ]

Confirmed: it's big!

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
These are not mine, but the MacRumors thread has a couple of peoples' 30-inchers:
You'd think with 30" displays around they could get a decent desk or take the time to clean their desk up

-- james

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2004, 09:28 AM

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 09:40 AM

You'd think with 30" displays around they could get a decent desk or take the time to clean their desk up

-- james
Amen to that.... though the first guy didn't do as bad... he just needs a desk to fit the monitor.

I don't know if I could get used to a screen that large ....but if someone gave me one, I'm sure I could find a way.
Apple user since 1981

videian28
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 10:51 AM

good lord that thing is huge

pixel overload!

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2004, 01:17 PM

woah

-- james [/B]
My Powerbook never felt so small.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2004, 04:22 PM

woah

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachme...chmentid=18263
30" on a freaking Windowz PC!? I wonder what video card he's driving that thing with.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 05:02 PM

I think that many recent pro cards (such as ones using nVidia's Quadro chipsets, or ATI's FireGL chipsets) have dual-link DVI adapters. It's just that those cards are both absurdly expensive (compared to even Apple's pricing) and harder to find, whereas anyone willing to wait a week can get a 6800 Ultra DDL added to their PowerMac.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Fenbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 04:08 PM

It was a G4/G5 stand on rollers I got from MacMice - but it looks like they don't sell it any longer.

blakespot
Blakespot's G5 stand is the MacMice iScoot. You can still order it, but on http://www.deskmac.com .

Also, some Apple Resellers have them in stock if you're lucky.

P.S. Anyone interested in Blakespot's desk - it's a "Transporte Table". They come in his finish (Maple veneer), or in Black.
They also come in two sizes: 36x72 in. or 30x72 in.
( Last edited by Fenbar; Oct 29, 2004 at 04:18 PM. )

bsodmike
Oct 30, 2004, 01:52 AM

This is my room @ Uni....

Yea, I know....way too many wires

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by bsodmike:

dude, God bless you man, you REALLY need more desk space... A suitcase for a printer stand makes you look like a home built PC user! Put the Fridge in another corner of the room, and use the space for the printer!
Apple user since 1981

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2004, 09:34 PM

I wouldn't put the G5 on the desk in this situation. Dorm-life sucks.. that's what I learned.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 10:59 PM

The iPod alone is worth more than the computer I had for my first 3 years of Uni.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

bsodmike
Nov 1, 2004, 07:53 AM

*sigh*.

Tbh, I used to be a 'home built' PC user for quite some time ( click here to see what I mean! ). It was once OS X reached Jaguar that it *sparked* my interests. I've also started to out grow modifying my PC - every few months I got tired of the 'look' and I've finaly completed my switch over. The only PCs I will own are the ones running some flavour of Linux and here is a shot of my 2 servers back home (note: the top one has yet to be setup...).

As for the printer: mmm, I'll shift it sometime but this weekend my buddy is driving up and he's brining his PS2 for us to enjoy some GTA:SA action and the TV is going to go on top of the fridge

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:27 AM

*sigh*.

Tbh, I used to be a 'home built' PC user for quite some time ( click here to see what I mean! ). It was once OS X reached Jaguar that it *sparked* my interests. I've also started to out grow modifying my PC - every few months I got tired of the 'look' and I've finaly completed my switch over. The only PCs I will own are the ones running some flavour of Linux and here is a shot of my 2 servers back home (note: the top one has yet to be setup...).

As for the printer: mmm, I'll shift it sometime but this weekend my buddy is driving up and he's brining his PS2 for us to enjoy some GTA:SA action and the TV is going to go on top of the fridge
I hear ya man..

I equate PC (especially homebuilt) to the likes of owning an old American Muscle car, Buick, Pontiac, Chevy, etc.. you're always tweaking it, and replacing parts, it looks pretty rough and "unfinished" and has that home made project look. Wires of all colors and sized hanging out, and a generally "ugly" look.

While a Mac is more like a brand new Audi S4 or BMW 330 with all the bells and whistles and technological advances. Built from the factory with the highest level of precision.

I too got sick of working on my PC and editing the Registry, and am a lot happier with OS X and Unix.
Apple user since 1981

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 12:08 PM

The registry: Microsoft's greatest evil invention.

I swear that Windows would be far less problematic if it wern't for that horrific invention.

I'm glad that they are getting away from it with .NET and the slow decline of COM.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 10:07 AM

Here is my attempt to keep this thread alive...

Inside of my G5.. (note the monstrosity in the AGP slot)

Apple user since 1981

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 06:21 PM

Dirty room, but my contribution nonetheless. I wish I had a G5 to show off.

Click me for full size
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 06:37 PM

kertong, how do you like the sidekick? any iSync goodness or do you care? is there much point in owning one if you only sms occasionally? they're so geeky cool! and any chance i can get that tibook desktop pic?

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by tramahound:
kertong, how do you like the sidekick? any iSync goodness or do you care? is there much point in owning one if you only sms occasionally? they're so geeky cool! and any chance i can get that tibook desktop pic?
Hey, Tramahound! The sidekick's been a basket of ups and downs. Pros: Geek factor (chicks dig it when you flip the screen), internet (web/aim) anywhere you are, sms messages are super easy to type out. Cons: Bad reception indoors, no isync, or any sync for that matter, and a 1.5 day battery life (standby or not). Overall though, I keep it around because the ability to IM smarterchild for movie information, or check mapquest.com when I'm lost, is worth the pitfalls. And there sure are a lot of pitfalls. Plus, I've unlocked the sidekick with a developer key so I can put aftermarket programs onto the sidekick. I have a hiptop RSS aggeregator that's come in pretty handy many times.

I got the tibook desktop pic off of deviantart.com, but I can't find it on the site right now.. I've uploaded it to my webserver, so you can have it at http://www.kertong.com/vids/VSI.jpg

enjoy!

Break
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
Hey, Tramahound! The sidekick's been a basket of ups and downs. Pros: Geek factor (chicks dig it when you flip the screen), internet (web/aim) anywhere you are, sms messages are super easy to type out. Cons: Bad reception indoors, no isync, or any sync for that matter, and a 1.5 day battery life (standby or not). Overall though, I keep it around because the ability to IM smarterchild for movie information, or check mapquest.com when I'm lost, is worth the pitfalls. And there sure are a lot of pitfalls. Plus, I've unlocked the sidekick with a developer key so I can put aftermarket programs onto the sidekick. I have a hiptop RSS aggeregator that's come in pretty handy many times.

I got the tibook desktop pic off of deviantart.com, but I can't find it on the site right now.. I've uploaded it to my webserver, so you can have it at http://www.kertong.com/vids/VSI.jpg

enjoy!
I'm from Berkeley too! Awesome.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by Break:
I'm from Berkeley too! Awesome.
Oh yeah? Sweet! Are you a student?

I just graduated though, so I'm back down in LA for the time being. Moving back up, to palo alto in about 2 weeks - nailed a job with google! I've missed Nor Cal.

D3k61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 12:51 PM

Here's a picture of my current setup...

I'm using a KVM (behind the monitor) to switch between the PC and Mac which allows me to use one keyboard, mouse and monitor for both computers.

The pc is just used for games... I like to think of it as a ridiculously expensive game console

Break
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by kertong:
Oh yeah? Sweet! Are you a student?

I just graduated though, so I'm back down in LA for the time being. Moving back up, to palo alto in about 2 weeks - nailed a job with google! I've missed Nor Cal.
Nope, resident. Nice! Good luck!

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2004, 12:01 AM

I "modded" my beloved cube tonight. Believe me, I use the word modded very lightly though. I'm glad this picture is too small and grainy so it's hard to make out the bad tape job I did. Looks good from afar, but far from good

Krypton
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by tramahound:
I "modded" my beloved cube tonight. Believe me, I use the word modded very lightly though. I'm glad this picture is too small and grainy so it's hard to make out the bad tape job I did. Looks good from afar, but far from good
You painted the inside black? It looks quite cool apart from the fact that the blue grey Apple logo doesn't quite match.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 30, 2004, 10:08 AM

Dual 2.5, 4GB, 160, Radeon 9800
17" Powerbook 1.33, 1 GB
people ruin everything....

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2004, 10:12 AM

no, no paint involved, just some black construction paper and a lot of tape. I did a bad job with the tape seam on the front of it though, so it's blaringly obvious what was done when you look at it in person.
I'm not original, but I like it. The blue logo isn't great but it's not horrible. some guy sells crome ones that might be cool, but I'm not sure what's involved in popping the exhisting one out and getting the new one in...

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by acadian:

Dual 2.5, 4GB, 160, Radeon 9800
17" Powerbook 1.33, 1 GB
Nice... you work in photography? Wish my company would have sprung for my setup!
Apple user since 1981

acadian
Senior User
Dec 2, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Nice... you work in photography? Wish my company would have sprung for my setup!
Not photography specifically, but it's a big part of what I do, I'm in creative marketing.
people ruin everything....

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by acadian:
Not photography specifically, but it's a big part of what I do, I'm in creative marketing.
Can you help me "creatively market" a $6.4M house in Paradise Valley AZ (near Scottsdale)? IT's been for sale for nearly 3 years and I have tried everything!

You probably do retail anyway!

Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules