Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder windows refreshing in real-time?

Finder windows refreshing in real-time?
jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2005, 08:59 PM

Anyone know if there's a way to get the finder file browser windows to refresh their contents/file sizes in real-time, rather than having to constantly click and re-click in the window to get it to update? This is especially annoying when encoding files where they're always updating.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 09:12 PM

No, there isn't a way at the moment. Maybe Tiger will update this.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2005, 09:53 PM

I'm pretty sure Finder's ADHD is finally cured with Tiger.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 10:28 PM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:
No, there isn't a way at the moment. Maybe Tiger will update this.
There is a way (link above) and yes, Tiger will fix this (at least the beta I played with).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

bsodmike
Feb 20, 2005, 11:51 PM

That's good to hear. I find it annoying at times as I have to wait for it to show up by re-clicking in that space or the desktop even!

Really can't wait for Tiger.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 02:14 AM

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Works reasonably well.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2005, 08:31 AM

FinderSync looks like a good find. In addition to the Finder refresh bug it is also equally annoying to notice that the Open/Save dialog boxes are not updating. I can live with it until comes up with a solution, though. OS X's approach is superior to the classic OS approach: constant polling. No one cared on OS 9 because the amount of processor utilization did not matter, but it would matter if the OS X Finder were constantly polling. I think I read that right now the Finder relies on programs to send it update messages, and I suppose in theory that should work just fine so long as the applications used are properly coded. It will be interesting to find out how Tiger handles this issue, if there is indeed an improvement.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I think I read that right now the Finder relies on programs to send it update messages, and I suppose in theory that should work just fine so long as the applications used are properly coded. It will be interesting to find out how Tiger handles this issue, if there is indeed an improvement.
Several programs do this now and there has been a lot of debate in the past regarding this issue. I could imagine many scenarios where the constant polling issue would be a problem, like a busy SQL database.

Forum Links
Forum Rules