Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > heat within spec... whats the temperature range apple uses?

heat within spec... whats the temperature range apple uses?
aye5882
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 12:32 PM

Hey guys. I just bought my mbp last sun (aug 27) and i think i got week 26 production. anyway, i put two sticks of 1gb transcend memory and last night was the first time i actually sat down and used the notebook. i downloaded coreduo temp 1.0 and monitored my temp...

while i was watching some videos on youtube, the temp maxed out at 70C w/ 45% (mem usage?) running at abou 1.5GHz. the fans started kicked in and brought it down to ~65C. 30 mins after watching the videos, i was just surfing the internet and it stayed at about 64C.

today, i have two windows of safari open, skype and ichat and its at 62C, 10%, 1.5Ghz.

ok, the big quesiton... are these temperatures within spec?
( Last edited by aye5882; Sep 2, 2006 at 12:48 PM. )

maae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 12:49 PM

Well, as far as I know, they are within spec, at least if you ask an Apple employee.

However, I would suggest finding your temperature under max load. You can do this by opening two Terminal windows and running the 'yes' command in each at the same time for a couple of minutes. And then post your results.

Cheers.

aye5882  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by maae
Well, as far as I know, they are within spec, at least if you ask an Apple employee.

However, I would suggest finding your temperature under max load. You can do this by opening two Terminal windows and running the 'yes' command in each at the same time for a couple of minutes. And then post your results.

Cheers.
ok thanks... i'll try that... but what's a terminal window totally new to this apple thing

maae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 01:08 PM

Terminal is an application (for lack of better term), a bit like a DOS-window in Windows. You can find it under Applications > Utilities, or you could simply do a search for 'Terminal' in spotlight (upper right corner - magnifier logo) and it should show up as the first result.

When you have a Terminal-window open, just type 'yes' and hit return - this should get things heated up.

aye5882  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 01:16 PM

Terminal is an application (for lack of better term), a bit like a DOS-window in Windows. You can find it under Applications > Utilities, or you could simply do a search for 'Terminal' in spotlight (upper right corner - magnifier logo) and it should show up as the first result.

When you have a Terminal-window open, just type 'yes' and hit return - this should get things heated up.
ok thanks! i'm doing it now. it maxed out at 81C and the fans kicked in... now its fluctuating b/w 77C and 73C.

i'm just frustrated because i just bought mine and a friend of mine bought hers a month ago and hers is actually newer (according to the serial numbers) and hers runs alot cooler.

maae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 01:25 PM

That sounds about right, albeit in the upper range. If you have the courage and fortitude (and skillz), then perhaps this would cool things a little bit:

Re-applied the thermal paste on my MacBook Pro... AMAZING results! - Mac Forums

I did it on my now-returned MacBook, and it did cool the thing about 5 degrees C - although it may be a bit more difficult on the Pro.

aye5882  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 02:54 PM

That sounds about right, albeit in the upper range. If you have the courage and fortitude (and skillz), then perhaps this would cool things a little bit:

Re-applied the thermal paste on my MacBook Pro... AMAZING results! - Mac Forums

I did it on my now-returned MacBook, and it did cool the thing about 5 degrees C - although it may be a bit more difficult on the Pro.
sounds tempting but i think i'll just be a soldier and tough it out. my plan was to sell this to my friend or ebay when the santa rosa version comes out early next year.

btw, how were you able to return your macbook if you opened it? i thought you void your warranty if you did that?

maae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 03:11 PM

Because the warranty isn't broken unless you break something when you service the thing - and there are no "warranty forfeit if seal is broken"-stickers. I plan on doing the same thing on my soon-to-be-ordered MBP.

That and I have a natural affinity with small, delicate things.

And, I didn't tell them I replaced the thermal goo.

astepanuks
Sep 29, 2006, 06:57 AM

My MBP 2 Ghz is on 24/7 running BOINC. Just installed Temperetaure monitor and it is reporting that core 1 is 89 C, core 2 is 85 C and hard disk at 41 C.

Do I need to worry?

PS, my MBP is elevated on a stand, so there is plenty of air flow.
MBP 2.16 Ghz, intel iMac 1.83 Ghz, PB 1.67 Ghz, Sawtooth 400 Mhz, iPod mini 4GB

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2006, 05:26 PM

my MBP will hit 78*C when i'm really hammering it (usually when running multiple large pictures in Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2), but it generally stays between 55-65*C during regular use (surfing the web, etc).
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2006, 07:21 PM

the 10.4.8 update seems to have dropped my load temp. i have azureus checking the size on multiple large files, Photoshop CS2 doing some effects renderings and Cinebench running (this software group always made my machine hit 77), and so far the temp hasn't hit higher than 67 with 65 seeming to be the average temp. YMMV.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

CJ78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 05:29 PM

I've been messing with this issue myself and just recently discovered that the RAM has some part to play in this. I'm searching all over the place to see if anyone has any specific ideas so that we can find a solution. I have a week 12 MBP 2.16 with the updated MLB in it. 10.4.8 causes CoreDuoTemp and all the other apps to be useless when it comes to checking the heat. Mine will report accurately for a short time and then sit steady and never change no matter what I do on it. That's not right.

I believe I have discovered that if I take my extra RAM out, the computer runs cooler. But, this is somewhat unaccaptable to me, and I have yet to talk to Apple about it. If it runs too hot, try pulling the ram out and run it for while. I do know that my system actually ran cooler under 10.4.7...at least I think it did.

bernt
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 06:36 AM

Check this: smcFanControl

No need to reapply thermal paste
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 10:12 AM

Does using smcFanControl void your warraanty?

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 01:39 PM

bernt - exxxxxxcellent

fans running at max, MBP running BOINC; temp dropped from 172F to 145-149F.

The guy at the Apple Store that replaced my left fan said it was pretty easy to get to. Guess I'll find out, running the fan more. Even at full blast, it's quieter than my G5. Case is really cool for the first time when maxxed out, Hendrik will be getting 10 or 20 bucks from me for this. MBP was only ever this cool when idling.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pao|o
Does using smcFanControl void your warraanty?
No. It only allows increasing minimum fan levels.

Forum Links
Forum Rules