Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to tell date of Mac OS X installation?

How to tell date of Mac OS X installation?
boston pz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2007, 10:32 PM

This is my first post! I've been reading macnn for years and i finally signed up.
anyway, i have an iMac G5 running 10.4.8 and i think it's time for a fresh system installation. i usually do them every 3 months or as time permits.

My question is, how can I tell when the last time was? Is it as simple as getting info on some system file to figure out when it was created (or modified) or is there another way?
What works? Please don't tell me I should have marked it down on iCal the first time hehe.

Thanks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 11:11 PM

This is a Mac forum, not a Windows forum. In all honesty, reinstalling the system is a waste of time. But if you must know, just select the System folder and Get Info on it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 11:13 PM

chabig is right - what you're doing is completely unnecessary.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by boston pz View Post
This is my first post! I've been reading macnn for years and i finally signed up.
anyway, i have an iMac G5 running 10.4.8 and i think it's time for a fresh system installation. i usually do them every 3 months or as time permits.

My question is, how can I tell when the last time was? Is it as simple as getting info on some system file to figure out when it was created (or modified) or is there another way?
What works? Please don't tell me I should have marked it down on iCal the first time hehe.

Thanks.
You re-install every three months .....??
Yikes!!
What utter nonsense, have you nothing else better to do?
Big Mac has hit the nail on the head - what you are doing is completely unnecessary!

On the other hand - and here you have me hooked - why do you feel you have to do this
voicebox

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 06:28 AM

He's been trained on a very strict Windows regimen. Of course, even with Windows, if you don't gum it up with a bunch of malware and crap, you don't need to reinstall it all the time either.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

boston pz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2007, 07:58 PM

you guys are so condescending, it's embarrassing.
i have been a mac useer my whole life, and a power user at that.
and yes it is a good idea to do reinstalls.

thank you for completely ignoring my question and request for help, and pushing your own unintelligent opinions on me.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2007, 08:22 PM

Could you explain to me why? Seriously, I'm curious.

And chabig already answered your question.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 08:29 PM

the original poster is completely wrong. reinstalling the entire system when you don't even have a problem is a waste of time.

-r.

boston pz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2007, 08:42 PM

you get problems from daily usage...who said my system didn't have troubles.
it is sluggish and slow...and the hd is almost full.

boston pz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2007, 08:42 PM

you guys don't notice that new fresh install zips along much more smoothly than one that's been used for several months?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 09:06 PM

you get problems from daily usage...who said my system didn't have troubles.
it is sluggish and slow...and the hd is almost full.
it's sluggish and slow because the hard drive is almost full. reinstalling the system won't address that, unless you're not bothering to fill the drive up again.

-r.

boston pz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2007, 09:52 PM

let's not turn this into a 'should he reinstall?' conversation. i posted to this site seeking your input as to how i can determine the date of my last system installation, if it is possible to do so. I know you can tell things like how long your system has been powered on, connected to the internet, and so on, but is there a way to find out when i installed my operating system?

furthermore, as i have used software update to keep my machine as current as apple allows, did i make it more difficult to determine the date of the actual installation (from system dvd)?

thank you.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 09:57 PM

get info on the first user you set up on the machine.

-r.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 10:15 PM

Let's see...power supplies wear out eventually. Maybe we should pre-emptively replace them every three months as well.
( Last edited by chabig; Jan 22, 2007 at 02:01 PM. )

boston pz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2007, 11:14 PM

you are an idiot.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 11:48 PM

My dual G5 has an install of 10.4.8 on it that has a lineage going back to an original 10.1 install on my G4 Cube the day it was released. I've done an Archive and Install with the major point-releases, but other than that, have had no reason to nuke & pave since then.

Yes, I have buggered installs on my work machine and had to wipe, but I usually just clone over a backup when it happens. And no, none of my machines ever seem to just "bog down" from ordinary usage. If your hard drive is crammed full, toss some cruft. Delete extra language packs, printer drivers, etc, give DiskWarrior a spin, run the chron scripts, and if things are really bad, clear all your caches. A little periodic maintenance is a lot simpler than starting from scratch over and over.

My Powerbook hasn't even been shut down in nearly three months.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

you are an idiot.
No, really, what you're doing is silly, and a complete waste of time.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 01:44 AM

let's not turn this into a 'should he reinstall?' conversation. i posted to this site seeking your input as to how i can determine the date of my last system installation, if it is possible to do so. I know you can tell things like how long your system has been powered on, connected to the internet, and so on, but is there a way to find out when i installed my operating system?

furthermore, as i have used software update to keep my machine as current as apple allows, did i make it more difficult to determine the date of the actual installation (from system dvd)?

thank you.
Is there any reason why you are ignoring the answer chabig gave you to this question?

You could also create a recurring iCal event that automatically alarms you every 3 months to remember you that it's time to do the reinstall.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 03:03 AM

you guys are so condescending, it's embarrassing.
i have been a mac useer my whole life, and a power user at that.

thank you for completely ignoring my question and request for help, and pushing your own unintelligent opinions on me.
Find two others who agree with you. Wait, I'll be kind, find one person who agrees with you. You won't be able to. Please understand that we're not the unintelligent ones here. What you're doing is completely unnecessary. I don't know who taught you that such a thing is a good practice, but it's just plain silly. If you were such a "power user" you wouldn't be asking us how to find the information you want. Change your oil every three months if you have nothing better to do.

bernt
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2007, 05:39 AM

TENENAL wrote:
Is there any reason why you are ignoring the answer chabig gave you to this question?

One reason to ignore it would be that it is wrong! My system folder was created February 14th 2006, my machine was built in the end of May 2006

The advise given about checking the first user created is better.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 10:23 AM

Alternatively you could check the creation date of
/Library/Receipts/BaseSystem.pkg

OreoCookie
Jan 22, 2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bernt View Post
TENENAL wrote:

One reason to ignore it would be that it is wrong! My system folder was created February 14th 2006, my machine was built in the end of May 2006

The advise given about checking the first user created is better.
If you don't want to disgruntle all people here, you should point out the flaw in the suggested solution. Otherwise, all other members will conclude that there is a valid solution and you are simply ignoring it -- and they won't bother to make other suggestions.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bernt
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2007, 12:19 PM

OreaCookie: I'm not the OP I just pointed out the flaw...
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

OreoCookie
Jan 22, 2007, 12:48 PM

My bad.

boston pz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2007, 06:28 PM

simon is the only one that made any sense. the rest of you can go **** yourselves.

boston pz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2007, 06:29 PM

simon was the only good answer. Oreo....go FHUCK yourself

OreoCookie
Jan 22, 2007, 07:16 PM

I think this thread is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules