Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Release Date?

Leopard Release Date?
quiklee
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 06:57 PM

Has Anyone heard anything about this yet? Do you think Jobs is letting Vista flounder so much right now that when he releases Leopard, it's going to make Vista look just that much worse?

Seriously . . is it great Apple Marketing or is Microsoft just an easy target?!?!?!?!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 06:29 AM

My guess it's on a Tuesday

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
Seriously . . is it great Apple Marketing or is Microsoft just an easy target?!?!?!?!
Probably both. MS probably felt it needed to push Vista out the door early or lose marketshare. Typical MS move.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
The 20th?

We'll know that for sure if 10.4.9 gets released between now and then. Apple probably won't release Leopard without finishing Tiger, first.

onlyone-jc.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by onlyone-jc View Post
The 20th?

We'll know that for sure if 10.4.9 gets released between now and then. Apple probably won't release Leopard without finishing Tiger, first.

onlyone-jc.
My guess is it'll be on a Tuesday. Donno which month though

denied
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 02:32 PM

maybe July 17th?, the date on their iCal icon of the leopard page, it's a tuesday

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 03:00 PM

When it's almost ready (bar the 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 105.3, 10.5.4, 10.5.5, 10.5.6, 10.5.8 and 10.5.9 updates - 10.5.7 was so fugly it died on the code branch).

Seriously, I'd expect early summer, July 17th might work. When is WWDC this year? Maybe then. Be nice if they did a public beta again, I suspect some pain with 10.5 (dunno why, just do).

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by denied View Post
maybe July 17th?, the date on their iCal icon of the leopard page, it's a tuesday
Thats the default date for iCal since 2002.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
Seriously, I'd expect early summer, July 17th might work. When is WWDC this year? Maybe then. Be nice if they did a public beta again, I suspect some pain with 10.5 (dunno why, just do).
Well, Apple announced that it would be out in the spring, as I recall. WWDC this year is June 11-15 — coincidentally, the last week of spring. If you catch my drift.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bernt
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2007, 10:29 AM

In 2004 when Tiger came out, the WWDC started June 28th, and Tiger was released April 24th (if I remember correctly). So not out of the question that something similar might happen this time around.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

sageimac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 11:05 PM

How long after the release of Leopard will new Macs start shipping with Leopard installed? Does anyone remember how long it took after Tiger was released?

arng1
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2007, 11:36 PM

I hear a lot of people saying June.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2007, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by sageimac View Post
How long after the release of Leopard will new Macs start shipping with Leopard installed? Does anyone remember how long it took after Tiger was released?
New models released at the same time: immediately. Other current models: Within a few weeks. Outgoing models: might get a drop-in upgrade DVD.
Chuck
___

xsphat
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
Perfect.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2007, 04:28 AM

How much do you think it will cost? $129, $199?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 04:40 AM

$129 sounds right.

Originally Posted by ChuckIt
Well, Apple announced that it would be out in the spring, as I recall. WWDC this year is June 11-15 — coincidentally, the last week of spring. If you catch my drift.
In my opinion, this doesn't make business sense to do. iPhone comes out in June. Leopard too? I don't think so. It's too many big products in too short a timespan. It forces people to choose one or the other. Why not release Leopard in April or May and let people save up for the following weeks for the iPhone? (which, by the way, have much higher margins)
Linkinus is king.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2007, 08:18 AM

Good point. They might just drop it a week after a "leaked tip" or something comes out.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2007, 08:32 AM

ThinkSecret reports that Leopard might be out in late March. Only a rumor though. I don't know if that's trustworthy but I would love to see it come out in March.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
$129 sounds right.

In my opinion, this doesn't make business sense to do. iPhone comes out in June. Leopard too? I don't think so. It's too many big products in too short a timespan. It forces people to choose one or the other. Why not release Leopard in April or May and let people save up for the following weeks for the iPhone? (which, by the way, have much higher margins)
Why not? Tie the iPhone in with Leopard and making it the min. OS on the Mac side is def. something Apple would do.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
ThinkSecret reports that Leopard might be out in late March. Only a rumor though. I don't know if that's trustworthy but I would love to see it come out in March.
I think this is likely. A June release would be too close to Apple's other big, big launch this year - the iPhone. Steve likes his product launches to have a bit of space to that they make the most of the media buzz.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
I think this is likely. A June release would be too close to Apple's other big, big launch this year - the iPhone. Steve likes his product launches to have a bit of space to that they make the most of the media buzz.
Heaven knows he wouldn't announce the iPhone at the same time he released the TV.
Chuck
___

mchladek
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Heaven knows he wouldn't announce the iPhone at the same time he released the TV.
Well, I think that's why he gave a preview (as iTV) several months earlier. That way people already knew a bit about TV when it was released and it wouldn't detract from the attention to the iPhone.

But, OT, I'm guessing an April release date for Leopard just because then it'll be released close to my birthday, and it'll make a nice birthday present to myself

NeilCharter
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 01:15 AM

It's either late March or June at the WWDC. June doesn't make a whole lot of sense since most of the developers would have got their hands on several release candidates before then.

I hoping the OS will be ready by late March. Could be later if they need to polish off a few things, especially the iApps.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 04:34 AM

Will be first of April.
Apple was founded that day 31 years ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules