Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Vibration from Hard Drive on 13in MBP

Vibration from Hard Drive on 13in MBP
Charlie Tuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2009, 06:39 PM

Greetings!

My MacBook Pro seems to have an interesting feature that it exhibits. The hard drive, a 250GB 5400RPM Fujitsu (MJA2250BH FFS G1), has a very noticeable vibration that is generated and most apparent through the right palm rest. Now, it isn't violent or noisy, but it can be rather irritating to have something vibrating against my wrist. I don't suffer from carpel tunnel, but once every few years I do get what I can only describe as a "flare up", and I'd hate for this lovely Mac to cause me any physical discomfort.

Additionally, and this may be more of a nitpick, but of all the laptops I've owned, the only ones that actually generated any vibration were the select few that had 7200RPM hard drives. This I can completely understand given the higher rotational speeds involved, but given that this MacBook Pro has a 5400RPM drive, I somehow expect it to be vibration free. For reference, the MacBook (old school white model) that I purchased for my Mother has a 5400RPM 120GB Fujitsu drive, and it doesn't have any vibration at all, nor any noise.

Now, thinking about it right now, given the fact that it's a unibody design (and as such, extremely rigid), perhaps even the slightest vibration is magnified a bit through the frame? Can someone expand on this?

Presently, I'm very tempted to blow part of a paycheck on an SSD, more for the sake of speed, increased battery life, and also no moving parts. But if I can hold off on that, it'd be nice.

Thanks!

ibook_steve
Oct 12, 2009, 07:36 PM

If this is a new machine purchased through Apple, have them fix it. Even if it's not new, have them check it. A mounting screw could be loose or there's something wrong with one of the rubber grommets that hold the drive steady. I'm assuming that you did not replace the drive yourself. The rotational speed doesn't matter. It's how it's mounted that counts.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Charlie Tuna  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2009, 07:45 PM

That's a good point to make. The MacBook Pro was purchased at a Best Buy (I had gift certificates to make use of), but the lappy itself is not more than a few weeks old. The drive is also the OEM drive, and hasn't been mucked with at all.

Soon as I get the tri-wing screwdriver in the mail, and can be absolutely sure that the wine spillage incident did not leave any visible merlot colored marks on the inside, I'll take it to the local Apple Store for a checkup.

(Also for reference, the drive was vibrating before the wine spill.)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2009, 08:00 PM

Sounds like a missing bit of damping material.

Forum Links
Forum Rules