Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I hate printers....so which one should I buy??

I hate printers....so which one should I buy?? (Page 2)
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 15, 2005, 12:14 PM

Yah, I've heard that the cheap lasers are using the razor-and-blades model now. At least a laser doesn't have to waste toner for cleaning when it hasn't been used for a while!

It's so sad how on cheap printers, and pretty much all color printers, the ink on a page costs more than the paper it sits on... ::sigh::

tooki

saturnbill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 12:19 PM

Canon Here! I have owned an i830 for more than several years without many problems. Had to clean the print head once, but mech. it is great and still produces nice photos and clean text. We also have a Canon MP730 which we love. Very fast. The only advice that I can offer since I have had both kinds, is to buy one with seperate cartridges for the color. I had a HP that I was having to replace the single color one a lot. Not cheap either. I have used Ink4art ink in my Canon for about 2 years with no problems. Very cheap.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2005, 03:00 PM

Canon highly recommended—Canon i860 here. Had it for a year, and I love it. Best printer I've owned. I've owned a few Epsons and a Lexmark up until this one—and they all had crapping out problems with ink and print quality. Canon, in short, r0x0rs.

CarrotInk is also a great place to get replacement ink, I've found.

kw14
Jul 15, 2005, 04:17 PM

Anyone have a Canon i9900?

Just received it yesterday and cannot get Tiger to recognize it through Firewire connection. Will try USB next (didn't have USB cable last night). Have downloaded and installed latest driver from Canon. Very puzzling since setting up printers have always just worked for me on Macs.

Other than this shhnafu, Canon printers have been great -- ink cost, speed, operations. I decided against buying anything HP a while back because their scanner driver for 3500 was so horribly written.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2005, 08:07 AM

Just bought an HP 5740 that works just great on my mini.

Tom

kw14
Jul 18, 2005, 11:38 AM

Canon i9900 works fine with USB connection. I guess firewire printer connectivity is 2nd class citizen :-( Maybe I need to invest in some USB 2.0 cables to get higher throughput.

BTW, color looks great. Love the abiltiy to print 13" wide prints. Now I can frame some pictures!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules