Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2 weeks in: My impressions of the Macbook

2 weeks in: My impressions of the Macbook
Ouhei
Jul 15, 2006, 09:52 PM

First off let me say that I've been a long time PC user. My first computer was an iMac but the lack of software support years ago drove me to PC for my later purchases. I had a Compaq laptop for a while, then built myself a gaming PC. But I found myself gaming on my PC less and less after going to college for 2 years and wanting a laptop more and more. So I decided to get a laptop, originally thinking windows, but after researching and looking at the Macbook, I was sold.

Anyways, on to my experience with the Macbook. It's a base model 1.83 that I have upgraded to 2gigs of RAM.

Before buying I read up on peoples experiences and was a little worried but decided to get one anyways. So off to the apple store I went, and came home with my macbook, ipod nano, and free printer.

For the first few days I used the OEM 512mb of RAM while waiting for my 2gigs to come in. I was surprised at how well it performed even with the 512, only noticing slow downs when using programs like photoshop which are hefty and not running on the universal binary.

After the RAM came in I swapped out the old 512 for the lovely 2gigs in about 3 minutes total time. No hard shoving required it just went in easily. The computer simply blazes now, even photoshop runs at a reasonable pace.

As far as any of the known issues, I'm happy to report none.
- My macbook idles in the mid 40's, under normal use low 50's, and during some intensive use I've gotten it to 60c once.
- I've used the trackpad and keyboard plenty (not even religiously cleaning my hands beforehand) and I have no discoloration.
- There are no whines, moo's, or creeks to speak of. No gaps in the casing or misaligned anything.
- The fan rarely comes on and when it does, its hardly on for all that long unless im working on more than 8 large files in photoshop while running safari, itunes, adium, and a few other things.
- The bottom gets warm but nothing unbearable or more than any other laptop I have used, its actually cooler than some.

I just thought that since people do read these forums (like I did) before buying, they should see some more success stories, not just all the negative stuff. This computer has made me glad I switched back to mac, I even have a full copy of XP sitting here that I haven't bothered to install yet because OSX is proving to be all I really need.

I use the macbook hooked up to a 20.1" screen while its at home with an external keyboard and mouse, just ordered the logtiech wireless combo and griffin icurve and those should be here monday. I also ordered the Tom Bihn Sleeve which should ship monday.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2006, 10:40 PM

Glad you are enjoying your MacBook. I am looking at getting one next year, I can't wait.

adil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 10:42 PM

im in quite a similar situation as you, about 1.5 weeks with my new macbook, my first mac and first notebook. i have to say i love it, i plan on upgrading the ram but the 512 is still good for now. temps usually in the fifties or sixties, but still fine for me.
i was also worried about mine, but no problems to speak of, everything is great. i also planned on installing xp, but now seems like it would just be a waste of hard drive space.
now i just need to gind a good canadian equivalent to newegg.com so i can get my ram for a good price

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 10:44 PM

I've been hearing of better experiences from the more recent MacBook buyers. Maybe Apple has managed to improve the quality in the past few weeks!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

lime76
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 10:59 PM

lucky to have gotten a macbook! they look beautiful and I hope I can upgrade to that from my ibook in the future

oh, and a 20inch screen sounds lovely

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2006, 12:17 AM

I would like to echo Ouhei's complete content. The temperature has been fine, haven't noticed the fan since receiving it, speed is amazing, no chipping (I'm on a BlackBook with 2GB RAM), etc. etc.
I highly recommend the MacBook!

Case
Jul 16, 2006, 01:20 AM

Besides the small blueing in the left hand plam rest mines a beaut! 2GHz, 1GB of Ram, 80GB HD, Im getting the replacement on sat so im happy. : )

masugu
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by anamexis
I would like to echo Ouhei's complete content. The temperature has been fine, haven't noticed the fan since receiving it, speed is amazing, no chipping (I'm on a BlackBook with 2GB RAM), etc. etc.
I highly recommend the MacBook!

What week was yours built???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Commodus
I've been hearing of better experiences from the more recent MacBook buyers. Maybe Apple has managed to improve the quality in the past few weeks!
To be fair, you only ever heard the negative experiences out of the first couple hundred thousand units.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 06:30 AM

I converted a friend at work to the Mac platform, his first Mac is a Macbook. He loves it, is having fun discovering "using a computer" vs "getting the computer to work", and he is now a Windows hater. He brought it into work and I got the chance to play with it for a few hours. I saw nor heard any of the problems inflicting all 0.00001% of the buyers, and I think it is a sweet computer. It's just too bad this forum has turned into a complaint forum.

Still trucking along with my 1.33Ghz G4 iBook and I am sure I will for years to come. For what little intensive work I do, I won't be needing a Macbook yet

Have fun with that beautiful computer!
iMac G4 / Macbook

McNewbie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 07:05 AM

Loving my Macbook : ) There are some minor problems. Mine has gotten fixed through warranty as a part of the trackpad button discoloured but probably moreso due my fingers as it was the spot that was constantly being used. The trackpad is kinda uneven but it's not really something that is a big drama, temp gets warm but averages mid 60's degrees celcius so I dont think it's that bad and mooing is only caused due to fan from my experience so these are all pretty much standard laptop functions which people just have to get over.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2006, 01:53 AM

yeah... I've used many a Windows PC, used several laptops, and owned 2 (both crappy ones, mind you)... and I was really hearing good things about OS X and wanted to try it out... I first looked at the Mac mini... why not? I mean they're good, budget computers and they're not too underfeatured...

... and then the MacBook came out. I looked at them on Apple.com and watched it spin around and around on the qtvbr demo on the site. I went to the apple store and had a go on them... love at first sight. So while I don't have my BlackBook yet, I plan on getting it here in a couple of months and I can't. effing. wait. .
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 01:39 PM

Everyone complains about the mooing and the heat... try owning Gateways, Dells and Toshibas and then complain
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

masugu
Senior User
Jul 17, 2006, 01:58 PM

Does idling mean no browser open...just the machine on???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Case
Jul 17, 2006, 02:08 PM

Im getting a new one on sat, haven't decided on Black or White yet. But my power adpater burnt my friends arm when he leaned on it. Not kidding

Ouhei  (op)
Jul 17, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
Does idling mean no browser open...just the machine on???
When I checked mine, I had a few programs open, like safari and adium, but they were just idle as well no doing anything.

Case: I'd go with the white, I think it looks much better than the black, the matte is just so bland and PCish to me I guess.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 06:22 PM

That is what I feel about the black Ouhei.

Case
Jul 17, 2006, 08:33 PM

After thinking about it for a while I decided on the Blackbook. My reasoning is coming from not wanting to have it happen again. Finger prints come off, discoloration does not.

bradoz71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 10:50 PM

Knock on wood but I'm like you... I was afraid after reading all the forums too much. I bought my blackbook just over a week ago and have had no problems whatsoever and LOVE it. Also got the free nano and printer. It's good for people who are considering buying to hear good experiences because on forums 90% of the time all you hear about are the bad ones.

BTW, where did you get your ram from and what kind was it? Sounds like you had a painless upgrade - but again so many bad accounts have me concerned about getting whatever fits best (physically).
Macbook Air | 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo | 2 GB | 80 GB
Macbook (Black, Week 22) | 2.0 Ghz Core Duo | 2 GB | 120 GB
Mac Mini | 1.25 Ghz G4 | 40 GB | 1 GB
iPods | Touch 16 GB | 4G 20 GB | 5G 30 GB (White) | Nano 2 GB (Black) | 2G Shuffle 1 GB

Case
Jul 17, 2006, 10:55 PM

I bought the "Ulitmate" it already had a gig of ram installed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules