Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Buy?

Best Buy?
Thread Tools
spiderweb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2006, 03:48 AM
 
After having kept my eye on iBooks for the last couple years, waiting for the right opportunity ($) to make the plunge (and having endured using a Very old and Very slow PC) I was naively excited to finally get one (an iBook G4) a little over a week ago for $1400 CND. Actually, $1350, since they were out of stock and I was offered the display model for a whopping $50 off. My long-awaited joy of this purchase was dampened by an underlying sense that this was a bit of a raw deal.

Curious to see how raw it really was (and reluctant but inclined to return it right away), I did my delayed research and discovered the MacBooks, the latest and the greatest, were being sold for practically the same price ($1450)!

I had over-looked the 'newest technology' thinking that I would be fine with something older (it still being a world of difference from the hand-me-down machine I was using) if it was more affordable.

I've been trying to find prices on new iBooks to compare, but they seem non-existent (because they are not being made anymore?!). If I found one for a lower and more reasonable price, I could have it matched and not feel so terrible about this roller-coaster of a purchase. Also wondering if I should just exchange it for a MacBook instead. My preference would be to stick with the iBook at a lower price, and wait till the newness of the MacBook stabilizes. This being said, I am new to all of this and am seeking suggestions...
     
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2006, 08:19 AM
 
unless you have a reason to prefer the ibook (run non universal apps, prefer the matte screen, want to use it on your lap, need to use classic) i would say exchange it.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2006, 12:38 PM
 
Don't think twice - exchange that iBook right now and get a MacBook. The speed differences are immense, and for only $100 more you'll have a machine that will last a LOT longer than the iBook.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2006, 12:40 PM
 
The MacBook > iBook in about everything, especially raw speed.

I would be furious and get an exchange.
Linkinus is king.
     
Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2006, 01:06 PM
 
why even think about it? 1350 for an ibook?
is like buying a pentium 3 laptop today for 1400.00 and skipping core duo techonology does that make any sense?

i would return it get my money back and purchase a macbook from the apple refurbished outlet and still have money to max it out put it way and beyond teh performance youll get on a ibook.

plus 2006 and no widescreen? come on is a no brainer
     
kc311v2
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vanilla Sands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2006, 01:52 PM
 
Considering the costs of you options, your wiser investment would be the MacBook:

Newer software included with MacBook
Hardware performance/capabilities
Third-party application (hardware and software) compatibilities/performance
Longevity

Purchasing the iBook may also have a greater effect on your cognitive dissonance versus purchasing a MacBook, due to the criteria mentioned above.
Buy for the long-term, not the short-term.

Either way, good luck with your investment.

- K.
     
kw14
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NorthEastern US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2006, 04:35 PM
 
Don't think twice--return that iBook!!! Somebody was mentioning $699 USD for an iBook in an earlier thread, I thought that was $300 too much. $1350 canadian??? I don't know what the exchange rate is, the only way it is a deal is if the exchange rate is like pesos to dollars.
     
BikerJonTN
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2006, 02:36 AM
 
Six months ago, I sold my 12" iBook 1.33GHz G4 with 1.5GB RAM for $500.
PowerBook G4 17-inch 1GHz (March 2003)
iBook G4 12-inch 1.33GHz (July 2005)
iMac 20-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo (January 2006)
     
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jerusalem / Pittsburgh
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2006, 08:10 AM
 
return it right now
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,