Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Nothing to get excited over?

Nothing to get excited over?
Thread Tools
Jodyw1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2006, 11:47 PM
 
I bit the bullet and upgraded both my desk top and lap top to new models. 24inch iMac and 13inch MacBook.

Originally, the iMac was set to ship on the 21st of September and the MB the 11th. Lo and behold, in my email, the iMac was shipped yesterday and is due to arrive on Friday, while the MB has been pushed back to the 21st.

Should I get my hopes up that the delay is because there's a Core 2 Duo upgrade coming for the MB, or am I just dreaming?
     
ChasingApple
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 12:58 AM
 
Would be cool huh!
iMac G4 / Macbook
     
brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: .no
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 09:50 AM
 
Here's hoping

     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 10:24 AM
 
fingers crossed, i wish
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
kw14
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NorthEastern US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 11:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jodyw1
I bit the bullet and upgraded both my desk top and lap top to new models. 24inch iMac and 13inch MacBook.

Originally, the iMac was set to ship on the 21st of September and the MB the 11th. Lo and behold, in my email, the iMac was shipped yesterday and is due to arrive on Friday, while the MB has been pushed back to the 21st.

Should I get my hopes up that the delay is because there's a Core 2 Duo upgrade coming for the MB, or am I just dreaming?
Jodyw1, When did you place your order for the macbook? I just order one and I am getting Sept 21 ship date as well. But I ordered it 2 days ago. I guess it is within the 5-7 days that they projected which I had assume was due to backlog. But an update would be muy cool.
     
rmansfield
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kentucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
 
I ordered on 9/8 and originally it was supposed to ship yesterday. I got a notice like you saying that it would ship on the 21st.

I think it would be great if they were delayed because of an impending upgrade, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I've got a friend who works at a Mac shop who says all the MacBooks are delayed because of back to school rush. He said the delay was as bad as three weeks, but it might have gotten better in the last few days.

When I first told him I ordered on the 8th and it was supposed to ship on the 13th, he laughed and said it would never happen. He was right.

He also told me that black Macbooks (which is what I ordered) are shipping faster than white MacBooks.
     
Jodyw1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 12:38 PM
 
Okay, it's about what I figured then.

I ordered on the 7th of September, figuring that the 30 day guarantee would cover me if His Jobness upgraded things over the month. I don't really need the power of the c2d in my laptop -- I do my video editing on the iMac -- but it's nice not to be a generation behind on computer hardware out of the gate.

I didn't know that there was a backlog. As I said, when I first placed my order, it was the 24 that was going to be delayed, then the old switcheroo. The 24 is arriving tomorrow by 10:30AM, according to to FedEx. I'll have a new toy for the weekend!
     
kw14
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NorthEastern US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 01:16 PM
 
Yeah, I am not holding my breath for an update. It is just slightly intriguing that everyone's shipping date is the 21st even though we ordered at different days. It could just be that's when the Macbook factory can spit out the next shipment. But maybe we'd open our box and find a Merom book!!! Hey, I guess it would be a nice surprise; but its no deal breaker.
     
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Canada.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 04:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by kw14
Yeah, I am not holding my breath for an update. It is just slightly intriguing that everyone's shipping date is the 21st even though we ordered at different days. It could just be that's when the Macbook factory can spit out the next shipment. But maybe we'd open our box and find a Merom book!!! Hey, I guess it would be a nice surprise; but its no deal breaker.
I am going to be buying a MB very soon, should I wait it out and see if Merom happens?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb
     
Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 09:15 PM
 
I'm waiting it out for a bit longer. After a few jitters about the Random Shutdowns, heat, and other reported (albeit not widespread) issues that seemed to be working themselves out by each new build week, the shipping times from the Apple Store online have been at 5-7 days for a while now. This could indicate a supply issue or an approaching update.

Think of it this way: if you order online now you'll have to wait at least a week anyway.
     
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Canada.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 09:22 PM
 
Well in that case I'll just hold out for a week or two and see what happens?

I'm not too concerned about Merom as I'm not going to be doing a lot of high end stuff which would take advantage of it, therefore Core Duo would suit me fine. I am more interested in video card upgrades, and price changes.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb
     
kw14
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NorthEastern US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 09:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz
I am going to be buying a MB very soon, should I wait it out and see if Merom happens?
You may run the risk of always waiting. For me, I just picked a date and buy it no matter what. Maybe Apple'll update for Photokina. My 21st ship date could coincide with that. But I wouldn't put it at greater than 50% chance.

Well, you can wait until the 21st (or 25th if you think they may do update for Photokina) and buy it no matter what.

I am only using this computer for general home use. So Merom chip wouldn't have that great of an impact for me. I rather enjoy the computer than wait for the real MB Merom update.

Good luck to you and your decision.
     
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Canada.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 10:15 PM
 
I think you are right. Also, with Intel based processors now, updates are going to come at us left right and center. I am just concerned that something might come out a week after I order is all....
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb
     
rmansfield
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kentucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2006, 10:30 PM
 
If you always wait to buy afraid that something new is about to come out, you'll never buy. Because guess what--something new IS always just about to be released!

But this is the best time to buy a MacBook and I'll tell you why. It's a good time to order one because they've worked the bugs out. The MacBook was a new product in May and all the early adopters have had to put up with random shutdowns and other problems.

Now Apple has recognized the problem and has worked out the bugs. That may even add to why there's a delay in getting a new MacBook right now, although I really do think it's just from a backlog caused by a back to school rush.

Plus, even when the next upgrades do come out, you'll have an increase that will probably be within a 10% difference and barely noticeable by any user.
     
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2006, 12:18 AM
 
Perhaps the delay is also due to all the new ones having the version 2 heatsinks installed. They probably are waiting for more of the heatsinks to be made, since they are replacing so many in macbooks with the random shutdown issue.

But I wouldn't buy one at the moment, not for at least 2 more months so you can see if the random shutdown is fixed. Many people are still getting 'books with this issue.
     
rmansfield
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kentucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2006, 12:23 AM
 
Nah...they're aware of the issue...so it's fixed. It costs them money to have to repair any computer. So once they know the problem exists, they make changes in their assembly immediately. And thus, we have delays in receiving new ones.

BUT all that means it's the best time to place your order.
     
Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2006, 02:40 AM
 
Man I really hope they don't give them Merom's.... I just bought my MacBook a week and 6 days ago! It would really suck if they updated them now!
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).
     
Jodyw1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2006, 10:04 AM
 
Dillion, my understanding is that Apple would give you the option of replacing your BMB with the newer version. If updates and price drops happen within 30 days, then you are still good to go.
     
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Canada.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2006, 10:30 AM
 
If that's the case I may place my order today or tomorrow so I can get my free iPod

Would they only put Merom in the top of the line BMB you think??
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,