Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy Now or Wait? Specific Concerns...

Buy Now or Wait? Specific Concerns...
tavilach
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 07:08 PM

I know this question is asked about 5 times a day: should I buy an MBP now, or wait?

I have some specific concerns, though:

(a) My 3-year-old PB barely works anymore because I broke part of the motherboard, and I desperately need a new computer. I can wait a few weeks at most, but ideally I should get a new computer right away.

(b) I am concerned about the screens on the current MPBs, and I have a hunch that a speed bump would also be accompanied by screens that aren't screwed up (or "grainy,' "oily," "sparkly," etc.).

And my questions:

1. I am unfamiliar with the current rumors with MPBs, and I acknowledge that they don't really mean anything. However, is it probable that new MBPs will be released on or before June 11?

2. If new MBPs are released, will I be able to purchase one at an Apple store that day? Is that normally the case, or is there normally a long delay after the announcement?

3. If new MBPs are released, do people think that the screen issues ("graininess") will be cleared up? Or, for that matter, have they already been cleared up?

Thanks .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 07:36 PM

WAIT! Changes to MBPs are very likely in the next few weeks.

There is no "normal' availability delay. Sometimes availability is immediate, sometimes it takes a while.

Screen issues, if they exist at all, are a non-issue, simply fodder for whiners. Apple has a 14-day no-questions-asked return policy. Buyers can either simply check screens prepurchase and/or return any screen they find not up to par.

-Allen Wicks

highstakes
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 08:01 PM

Yeah, I would wait as well; the MB's got an update, and think MBP's should get one before school starts atleast.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 09:37 PM

Before school starts? I absolutely cannot wait that long. Not even close.

I need to have my MBP in my lap by June 12, at the latest. I need to know if that's probable. If not, I'm getting one now.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 09:41 PM

Well WWDC is in June 11 to the 15th and if you absolutely need the laptop before then you've basically answered your own question. The odds are quite low that apple will announce (and have available) an update to their MBP before WWDC especially since they just got the MB refresh.

If I were you, I'd see about keeping your current PB running until after June, but if that's not feasible. Buy now

As for the 14 day no questions return policy sure its no questions but if there isn't a defect then you pay a 10% restocking fee.
Michael

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 09:43 PM

Let me rephrase: if it's released during (or before) WWDC, and I can then have it in on my lap a day or two afterwards, then I'll wait. I'm trying to estimate the probability of this.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by tavilach View Post
Let me rephrase: if it's released during (or before) WWDC, and I can then have it in on my lap a day or two afterwards, then I'll wait. I'm trying to estimate the probability of this.
I don't think you can estimate the probability of this. In the past the some of the updates were Immediately available and some where not. If its just a speed bump then my guess it would, if its going to include the Santa Rosa chip set and/or LED backlighting then all bets are off.

If you can wait till WWDC then I suggest you do, you'll not lose anyhting then if apple does not come out with a new laptop, if they do and the wait is weeks or months then you know what you must do.

I think you're over-analyzing things and you really have only one decision, buy now or wait. If you can wait, then that would be the smart decision, imho.
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; May 23, 2007 at 07:57 AM. )
Michael

Chazzer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2007, 10:47 AM

I would definitely wait if I were you, check this post on AI:

AppleInsider | Apple seen unloading new MacBook Pros and (possibly) iMacs at WWDC

Seems very likely the MBPs will be updated, and everyone knows you will be kicking yourself royally if you could have stretched you PB that bit longer to get a next gen MBP...!

My thoughts anyway,

Charlie -

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2007, 12:06 PM

Wait until June 11th and you'll know your answer.

If you cannot wait then buy it now. Just because you don't have the latest and greatest doesn't mean whatever you buy today is crap.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 12:50 PM

(a) My 3-year-old PB barely works anymore because I broke part of the motherboard, and I desperately need a new computer. I can wait a few weeks at most, but ideally I should get a new computer right away..
I have a question, its been niggling at me while I've been reading the thread. If you broke part of your motherboard how could it barely work. I'm not understanding it, in my expierence, when a motherboard broke that usually meant the computer was DOA, unless the section that broke had no circuitry. I cannot get my brain wrapped out the the statement that it barely works because you broke part of the mother board.

As an aside, how did you break it, just curious, its not really germane to the conversation but I am curious
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; May 23, 2007 at 02:16 PM. )
Michael

wingdo
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I have a question, its been niggling at me while I've been reading the thread. If you broke part of your motherboard how could it barely work.
I thought it was just me who couldn't get the idea.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Rumor
May 23, 2007, 03:34 PM

I recently talked to an Apple sales rep about purchasing a MBP and the "what if" a new revision came out soon. He told me that within 10 days after purchase it isn't a problem, and has been within thirty days in the past.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 04:05 PM

IMO:
Probability that it will be possible to have an upgraded MBP in your hands by June 15th, 70%.
Probability that existing MBPs will still be available that week, 100%.
Probability that prices of existing MBPs will fall a bit between now and June 15th, 90%.
Probability that waiting until June 12 will afford additional useful purchase information, 90%.

Wait. And be prepared with cash in hand to buy an existing or an upgrade MBP that week after you have full info. I have purchased two computers in the past month (Apple and Comp USA) that both required cash. The last one the Apple Store in Reno NV would not even take a cashiers' check! Unbelievable; perhaps exacerbated by the fact that it would have been a California Bank of America cashiers' check. They were business purchases that we don't like to use credit cards for.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; May 23, 2007 at 04:28 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I have a question, its been niggling at me while I've been reading the thread. If you broke part of your motherboard how could it barely work. I'm not understanding it, in my expierence, when a motherboard broke that usually meant the computer was DOA, unless the section that broke had no circuitry. I cannot get my brain wrapped out the the statement that it barely works because you broke part of the mother board.

As an aside, how did you break it, just curious, its not really germane to the conversation but I am curious
I cannot answer for the OP, but every G4 PB I had (several) developed intermittent failure at the power adapter connection. The port there is physically part of the mobo, so when it fails completely the only solution is either a new mobo or to remotely charge batteries to run the laptop 100% on batteries. IMO that weak port design may well have been what stimulated Apple to develop the excellent mag-safe adapters.

No doubt other intermittent-but-may-fail-soon issues may also exist.

-Allen Wicks

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
IMO:
Probability that it will be possible to have an upgraded MBP in your hands by June 15th, 70%.
Probability that existing MBPs will still be available that week, 100%.
Probability that prices of existing MBPs will fall a bit between now and June 15th, 90%.
Probability that waiting until June 12 will afford additional useful purchase information, 90%.

Wait. And be prepared with cash in hand to buy an existing or an upgrade MBP that week after you have full info. I have purchased two computers in the past month (Apple and Comp USA) that both required cash. The last one the Apple Store in Reno NV would not even take a cashiers' check! Unbelievable; perhaps exacerbated by the fact that it would have been a California Bank of America cashiers' check. They were business purchases that we don't like to use credit cards for.

-Allen Wicks
Wait. Why do I need cash? There's no way I can pay with cash; I'd need to do financing.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 09:13 PM

INo doubt other intermittent-but-may-fail-soon issues may also exist.
No doubt and I'm not saying that it cannot exist for the OP, I'm just trying figure out how someone could break a motherboard and have the computer "barely" work. developing intermittent problems and breaking a motherboard are typically different problems but all of the time.

I'm just curious and figure, that it cannot hurt to ask the OP
Michael

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 05:50 AM

The problems I'm having might very well have nothing to do with my damaging the motherboard. The fact is that my computer is a wreck and needs replacement, and I'd rather not stray off topic.

I need to know why I'd need cash to purchase the MBP. Is financing not an option immediately after release? Because financing is my only option.

Chazzer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 06:26 AM

I'm sure financing will be an option after launch, because the sales are meant to just continue like nothing happened if you know what I mean..!?

Charlie -

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 07:35 AM

I need to know why I'd need cash to purchase the MBP. Is financing not an option immediately after release? Because financing is my only option.
You don't need cash, you can use a credit card, or sign up for apple's revolving credit. I recommend that you do that before hand just in case there's no hiccups with the application process.
Michael

buffswin
May 24, 2007, 10:48 AM

Apple has been selling quite a few MacBook Pros on their refurbished page lately. You might look there and get a pretty substantial savings.

Ryan T.
May 24, 2007, 01:51 PM

I recently bought with the expectation that they will be updated. I got the Apple Store manager to allow me to get exchange or End of Life pricing through June 15th. While I know there will be an update, I don't want any part of the new LED screens (1st gen tech + apple = yuck), and I know that when WWDC comes w/ new MBP's, it will mean I'll get another couple hundred bucks off my current purchase.

So, with edu + EOL pricing, my current 2.16 MBP will probably cost me around $1599 (assuming a $200 EOL discount). I'd much rather pay $1599 for proven tech than $1799+ for non-existent speed increases and new, untested screen technology.

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't touch the current MBPs (screens) with a ten feet pole.

Ryan T.
May 24, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by G. I. View Post
I wouldn't touch the current MBPs (screens) with a ten feet pole.
While I personally haven't noticed any issues with mine, you do realize that LED back lighting will make absolutely zero difference in the issues people are describing, as long as Apple continues using the same panels.

NeutrinoMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
While I personally haven't noticed any issues with mine, you do realize that LED back lighting will make absolutely zero difference in the issues people are describing, as long as Apple continues using the same panels.
Glad you got a good screen. There's quite a few bad ones out there, but I grow weary of fighting with the "display deniers". It amazes me that acknowledgement of this issue is so hard for some.

I will say though that you are implying that the screen and backlighting are separate functional units, which isn't the case. The displays are delivered to Apple all in "one piece", with all the LCD layers and backlighting in one "package" to be dropped into the housing of the MBP. Is it possible the supplier would use the same grain-prone surface on the front of the new LED displays? Yes, I suppose that is possible. But it's more likely that these displays will be completely new in the sense that all the components and layers will be from an entirely new line of production.

Considering this is an entirely new batch of displays, I've got my hopes up that the grain-sparkle and poor backlighting problems will be gone. Fingers crossed.
"We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang?"

pjc78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2007, 12:16 AM

I cannot answer for the OP, but every G4 PB I had (several) developed intermittent failure at the power adapter connection. The port there is physically part of the mobo, so when it fails completely the only solution is either a new mobo or to remotely charge batteries to run the laptop 100% on batteries. IMO that weak port design may well have been what stimulated Apple to develop the excellent mag-safe adapters.

No doubt other intermittent-but-may-fail-soon issues may also exist.

-Allen Wicks
Actually the power adapter plugs into the DC-In board, which is a separate piece on all PowerBook G4s. The DC-In board is connected to the main logic board by a cable. If the DC-In board goes bad, typically if something breaks off inside there, the fix is to replace the DC-In board, not the entire main logic board. Most of the other ports, like Firewire, USB, and Ethernet, are on the main logic board, though. Broken DC-In on PowerBook G4s is a minor repair; Ethernet pins bent out of shape is a major repair.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2007, 08:48 PM

I myself wanted to wait simply b/c I'm not a fan of buying an OS, I think it should always be bundled with a computer, or offered much cheaper than any of them cost (linux is the exception).

However, I was in the same situation as you, my iBook was on its last legs but still usable. I waited until it was completely dead to buy a new machine, and in doing so had a bit of downtime and lost about a day's work. I don't know about you, but downtime gets expensive for me, it means lost revenue.

My MBP is less than a month old, I haven't had any issues with my screen or anything else for that matter. The only problem I had was during the first 2 days, and that was just the lower enclosure, a piece of it was getting loose/warped. I exchanged it immediately. But that's just expected issues with any product.

If you have an urgent need for a new laptop, then you should get one. If not, then wait it out. Only you can decide how urgent your need is, and how close to death your existing machine is.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 27, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by pjc78 View Post
Actually the power adapter plugs into the DC-In board, which is a separate piece on all PowerBook G4s. The DC-In board is connected to the main logic board by a cable. If the DC-In board goes bad, typically if something breaks off inside there, the fix is to replace the DC-In board, not the entire main logic board. Most of the other ports, like Firewire, USB, and Ethernet, are on the main logic board, though. Broken DC-In on PowerBook G4s is a minor repair; Ethernet pins bent out of shape is a major repair.
Interesting. The nice folks at the Apple store told me it was a mobo replacement, not a DC-In board minor repair. Those boxes have been replaced but at least one is still around so maybe I will again investigate repair.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules