Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.2 will offer relief to all who hate Stacks

10.5.2 will offer relief to all who hate Stacks (Page 2)
Thread Tools
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2008, 12:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Apple still hasn't fixed the ****ing Finder.

Patched.. yes. In seven years it is still not fixed. Way to go Apple.

V
I guess there is no unified laundry list of Finder fixes, because what made the Finder broken to me (connections with network shares, constant spinning beachballs) is now fixed. What about the Finder is broken to you?
     
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FFM
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2008, 12:13 PM
 
It needs to be out when the new MacBook Airs ship, so it will be released within the next two to three weeks.
     
PaperNotes
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2008, 06:17 PM
 
The update will be out within a week by the look of it.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 12:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I guess there is no unified laundry list of Finder fixes, because what made the Finder broken to me (connections with network shares, constant spinning beachballs) is now fixed. What about the Finder is broken to you?
Little things and big things.. (this is by no means a complete list)

Search is borked since spotlight loses things and doesn't allow sort by size for example in the results,

Finder windows are far too random when opened - sometimes browser, sometimes icon - who can predict where they will open or what size...

the menus on the left are in some strange connection to the menus on the right, so when you slide the mouse while holding the menus open from the left to right they all open one by one on your way right but not to the left (??)

and the menus on the right (sound, airpot, bluetooth et al are take a long time to open the *first* time after you start the computer but then they're fast like normal menus..

the Finder is sloppy and while it has been repaired a whole lot since OS X was released it hasn't been fixed to be as rudimentary feature complete as the Finder we left when we went to OS X.

Fundamental banal features are missing while other great features have been added. Over time many of these fundamental features have been added, but still after all this time.. not nearly all.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 12:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Little things and big things.. (this is by no means a complete list)

Search is borked since spotlight loses things and doesn't allow sort by size for example in the results,

Finder windows are far too random when opened - sometimes browser, sometimes icon - who can predict where they will open or what size...

the menus on the left are in some strange connection to the menus on the right, so when you slide the mouse while holding the menus open from the left to right they all open one by one on your way right but not to the left (??)

and the menus on the right (sound, airpot, bluetooth et al are take a long time to open the *first* time after you start the computer but then they're fast like normal menus..

the Finder is sloppy and while it has been repaired a whole lot since OS X was released it hasn't been fixed to be as rudimentary feature complete as the Finder we left when we went to OS X.

Fundamental banal features are missing while other great features have been added. Over time many of these fundamental features have been added, but still after all this time.. not nearly all.

V

To me, this stuff falls under the category of usability critique rather than fundamentally broken. If you want to do a thorough usability critique of OS X, you could come up with a long list of things, no doubt... These definitely should be addressed, I'm not trying to blow off what you are saying. However, my point is that these are further reaching than simply the Finder.
     
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FFM
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 12:52 AM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Search is borked since spotlight loses things
Not a Finder issue.
and doesn't allow sort by size for example in the results,

Finder windows are far too random when opened - sometimes browser, sometimes icon - who can predict where they will open or what size...

the menus on the left are in some strange connection to the menus on the right, so when you slide the mouse while holding the menus open from the left to right they all open one by one on your way right but not to the left (??)
Not a Finder issue.
and the menus on the right (sound, airpot, bluetooth et al are take a long time to open the *first* time after you start the computer but then they're fast like normal menus..
Not a Finder issue (even if an issue at all).
the Finder is sloppy and while it has been repaired a whole lot since OS X was released it hasn't been fixed to be as rudimentary feature complete as the Finder we left when we went to OS X.
What rudimentary features?
Fundamental banal features are missing while other great features have been added. Over time many of these fundamental features have been added, but still after all this time.. not nearly all.
What fundamental features?

You have two valid issues, but your claim that the Finder is still "broken" is generally unsubstantiated. Leopard's Finder is the best Finder I have ever used. And let's hope sort by size (or any criterium for that matter) is there in 10.5.2.
     
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cooperstown '09
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 01:13 AM
 
Greatest. Update. Ever.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 02:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Not a Finder issue.





Not a Finder issue.

Not a Finder issue (even if an issue at all).

What rudimentary features?

What fundamental features?

You have two valid issues, but your claim that the Finder is still "broken" is generally unsubstantiated. Leopard's Finder is the best Finder I have ever used. And let's hope sort by size (or any criterium for that matter) is there in 10.5.2.
That's your opinion, all of the things I listed were Finder related whether you acknowledge them as such or not.

Spotlight is part of the Finder just a much as any element deeply intwined with it. Search didn't USE to lose things, now IT DOES.

Finder problem.

Menus are a FINDER issue.. the Finder IS NOT just the FILE BROWSER or whatever it is called those window thingies you doublecklick files in.

The Finder is everything from file management, networking, the Dock, menus etc etc because the FINDER IS THE MAC OS THAT WE SEE AND EXPERIENCE.

It is NOT a name for the FILE BROWSER aspect of MAC OS X.

--- Slow menus ARE an issue. They SHOULDN'T be slow. That's why it is AN ISSUE. Great, good we got that cleared up!

As for the RUDIMENTARY and FUNDAMENTAL features, I SPECIFICALLY stated that I WOULD NOT LIST ALL THE $##$$"#%&"#$ THINGS THAT #$$#&#$%$"#"!! I FIND TO BE BROKEN IN THE MAC OS X FINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

%$#%#$%


V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 02:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
To me, this stuff falls under the category of usability critique rather than fundamentally broken. If you want to do a thorough usability critique of OS X, you could come up with a long list of things, no doubt... These definitely should be addressed, I'm not trying to blow off what you are saying. However, my point is that these are further reaching than simply the Finder.
Quite, I appreciate your point of view and see where you're coming from. Still I value user experience at least as highly as technical capabilities, higher even.

We were used to a fascinatingly robust and elegant Finder before OS X, granted far less tech-savvy, but it was elegant.

Now we have a far more advanced Finder that can't compete in elegance and user experience with a simpler and far less capable Finder of OS 9.

That needs to be fixed in my opinion.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 09:51 AM
 
Why are you calling Mac OS X the Finder? The menu items, Dock, etc are all independent. I realise you are abstracting this issue beyond the technical aspect, but what is the point? By lumping everything under the term 'Finder' and complaining about it you only confuse people. Why don't you just say Mac OS X is not finished, or not to your liking?

I guess you like the spatial Finder in pre-OS X days. I respect that opinion. Personally I like everything neat, so spatial Finder windows popping up everywhere really annoyed me. Apart from its spatial aspects, I don't see any advantage to the OS 9 Finder. It crashed constantly, you could never describe it as robust, and when it did crash it took the whole system with it. It particularly annoyed me how hard it was to see previews of images at any decent size.
     
PaperNotes
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 11:19 AM
 
I don't know what this spatial means. I only want to make folders and put files in them.
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
 
Look up the keywords "spatial Finder" or just read Siracusa's reviews of the Finder.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Toyin
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
That's your opinion, all of the things I listed were Finder related whether you acknowledge them as such or not.

Spotlight is part of the Finder just a much as any element deeply intwined with it. Search didn't USE to lose things, now IT DOES.

Finder problem.

Menus are a FINDER issue.. the Finder IS NOT just the FILE BROWSER or whatever it is called those window thingies you doublecklick files in.

The Finder is everything from file management, networking, the Dock, menus etc etc because the FINDER IS THE MAC OS THAT WE SEE AND EXPERIENCE.

It is NOT a name for the FILE BROWSER aspect of MAC OS X.

--- Slow menus ARE an issue. They SHOULDN'T be slow. That's why it is AN ISSUE. Great, good we got that cleared up!

As for the RUDIMENTARY and FUNDAMENTAL features, I SPECIFICALLY stated that I WOULD NOT LIST ALL THE $##$$"#%&"#$ THINGS THAT #$$#&#$%$"#"!! I FIND TO BE BROKEN IN THE MAC OS X FINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

%$#%#$%


V
No really, tell us how you feel.

Spatial finder really hasn't been an issue for me since 10.1 or whenever they introduced columnview.

My windows always open in columnview because I clicked the view option "always open in columnview"

The only time I get different views are when
A: I closed the window in a different view. Next time that folder opens it will be in the same view.
B: I download a disc image. They're usually in whatever view the author put it in.

The icons on the menubar are all separate applications. They need to be loaded into RAM the 1st time. Even so, the delay for me the 1st time is usually less then 2 seconds on a MBP.

If there are fundamental and basic functions that are bothering you, it might be nice to list them out. There may be work arounds or things that you didn't know or try.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 07:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Look up the keywords "spatial Finder" or just read Siracusa's reviews of the Finder.
*sigh*

The spatial Finder was great at a time where a directory contained *maybe* 30 objects. (Beyond that, you're scrolling anyway, making muscle memory completely irrelevant.)

Anything more than that, and you'd have been using list view, anyway, which is not "spatial", and which - apart from sorting - is completely trounced by column view in the OS X Finder.
     
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 25, 2008, 09:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
*sigh*

The spatial Finder was great at a time where a directory contained *maybe* 30 objects. (Beyond that, you're scrolling anyway, making muscle memory completely irrelevant.)

Anything more than that, and you'd have been using list view, anyway, which is not "spatial", and which - apart from sorting - is completely trounced by column view in the OS X Finder.
Even in the OS6.x days I didn't use the spatial Finder much. It's always been much faster for me to look at a list, sorted by kind.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 01:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
No really, tell us how you feel.
I feel good

Spatial finder really hasn't been an issue for me since 10.1 or whenever they introduced columnview.
Column view has always been part of OS X. Spatial view, not so much. About 79% for some reason. Just an arbitrary implementation by Apple.

However, list view is in my opinion generally by far the best.

My complaint was that the Finder sometimes switched views and you could never be sure what you get.

I *have* set the Finder to open EVERYTHING by default in list view. Yet the Finder sometimes opens windows in different views.

My windows always open in columnview because I clicked the view option "always open in columnview"
Sometimes, the Finder will not open in my preferred view.

The Finder is thought of by many people (to some extent correctly) as a browser, so it should browse on and on in the view selected until you open a new window.

Then preselections made by others should never override your preselection, like they do in disk images.

Also the Finder *sometimes* remembers my preference in a particular folder when browsing to it and sometimes not. Not always obvious why it does or doesn't -- I'm not in the habit of backtracking in my mind how I ended up in a particular folder.

The only time I get different views are when
A: I closed the window in a different view. Next time that folder opens it will be in the same view.
B: I download a disc image. They're usually in whatever view the author put it in.
A: Not always in my experience.

B: Yes, but since the Finder is a browser why shouldn't it just always stay in the same view as the user sets it in?

Wait or is the Finder spacial after all?? Yes, about 79% or so. It's a mess. It does remember window positions pretty good.. until it forgets them. :/

The icons on the menubar are all separate applications. They need to be loaded into RAM the 1st time. Even so, the delay for me the 1st time is usually less then 2 seconds on a MBP.
That's nice to know. However it's also no less annoying to the user and fixed Finder would preload these apps to mimic the behavior of the menus they are trying to mimic!

They may be apps, but they appear as menus and should act as menus. It looks like a menu, so it should act like one. That's what matters to me at least.

If there are fundamental and basic functions that are bothering you, it might be nice to list them out. There may be work arounds or things that you didn't know or try.
That's true, and thanks for the suggestion.. I might just do that.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
Amorya
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: England
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 01:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Menus are a FINDER issue.. the Finder IS NOT just the FILE BROWSER or whatever it is called those window thingies you doublecklick files in.

The Finder is everything from file management, networking, the Dock, menus etc etc because the FINDER IS THE MAC OS THAT WE SEE AND EXPERIENCE.

It is NOT a name for the FILE BROWSER aspect of MAC OS X.
Actually, you're completely wrong. The finder is just the file browser, nothing more. The menus on the right are SystemUIServer, the Dock is its own process. Networking is part of the core OS, although network mounting is part of the Finder.

It's Apple who names the different bits, and this is how they've defined them.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.
     
Richard Richard
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 02:07 PM
 
i don't know why everyone makes such a big deal over spotlight

i had a mac quadra in 1994 and it ran a program called 'retrieve it' which was lightning fast and could search for anything you wanted by the keywords inside the documents

miles better than the spotlight mess up imo
mac 4 evaah
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by Amorya View Post
Actually, you're completely wrong. The finder is just the file browser, nothing more. The menus on the right are SystemUIServer, the Dock is its own process. Networking is part of the core OS, although network mounting is part of the Finder.

It's Apple who names the different bits, and this is how they've defined them.

Amorya
Actually you're not just wrong in your point, but you are being willfully obtuse.

In the end it is the users which define what the Finder is. What people call the Finder is the Finder, no matter what technical term is used inside Apple.

Largely the problems with the Finder are in fact WITH THE FINDER because the background processes which no one names other than the Finder, are quite ok. It's the Finder's (your definition) interaction with these that is bonkers.

The Finder IS NOT just a browser anyway. It is an interface that handles interactions between the user and the Mac in just about every way.

That is the Finder and it should have been fixed in 10.1 as a high priority instead of being put on maintainance upgrades for six years.

Oh and notice what Steve Jobs calls 'The Finder' when he's demoing a new one at Macworld. It's not just a browser..

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FFM
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 05:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
What people call the Finder is the Finder
You are not "people". You are just one person with an unusual definition of what is to be considered the Finder.
Oh and notice what Steve Jobs calls 'The Finder' when he's demoing a new one at Macworld
Rewatch that keynote. He called that "A New Desktop". Not Finder.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 05:38 PM
 
In fact, at another keynote, some years ago, he called the Finder "just another application".
     
Koralatov
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Richard Richard View Post
i don't know why everyone makes such a big deal over spotlight [...]

miles better than the spotlight mess up imo
And I don't know why there are so many people who dismiss it us utter crap. In my experience, it really isn't. I use it quite frequently, and I find it a god-send for finding things--it's much quicker to type in a phrase or word in an email and have Spotlight find it than it is to try and remember it and track it down manually. Whilst Spotlight may not be perfect (and likely never will be), it's infinitely better than XP's "Search" utility. Looking for something inside a file in XP is painful if you don't narrow down the file location to a few (small) directories; the My Documents on my Dell has more than two gigs of files in it, so searching even within there is tedious.

A spatial Finder in OSX would be a massive backward step, to my mind. As analogika said, it works fine if you have a few items in a folder, but once you get beyond that, it becomes inefficient, and is handily trounced by the current Finder in list-view. Also, doing it that way would render Exposé almost totally useless; you'd end up with a billion zoomed-out windows too small to discern what they were. Probably not an issue if you don't use Exposé, but I think it's a fantastic feature, and use it all the time. I often find myself squeezing my mouse on my Windows box at work and wondering why nothing is happening.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 08:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Actually you're not just wrong in your point, but you are being willfully obtuse.

In the end it is the users which define what the Finder is. What people call the Finder is the Finder, no matter what technical term is used inside Apple.
Oh. Well, in that case, I have just decided that the word "Finder" refers to Chess.app. And since none of your complaints have anything to do with chess, I'm just going to declare all of them invalid.

Check and mate.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 08:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Oh. Well, in that case, I have just decided that the word "Finder" refers to Chess.app. And since none of your complaints have anything to do with chess, I'm just going to declare all of them invalid.

Check and mate.
Sounds like you're playing chess like Fischer. Completely batshit insane-o-rules.

Much like you use a strawman to win an argument.

Like the rest of the... experts here.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
Amorya
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: England
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 09:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Actually you're not just wrong in your point, but you are being willfully obtuse.

In the end it is the users which define what the Finder is. What people call the Finder is the Finder, no matter what technical term is used inside Apple.
No it isn't! It's Apple's software, so their terms are what matter.

But even if you were right, I don't know any Mac users who refer to things such as SystemUIServer (the items therein known as Menu Extras or NSStatusItems) as the Finder. They might not know its actual name (and thus call it "Those little icons at the right of the menu bar"), but not the Finder.

Now, I didn't say your issues should be ignored. I had a good discussion with the Spotlight team a few WWDCs back. My main point was that I wanted them to add a 'search' button, since find-as-you-type was too slow. They told me that they were going to make it faster instead. As it happens, I think as of Leopard it is good but could be better. I miss the old expanded results window.

The SystemUIServer/Menu Extras problem I have noticed in the past, but never found particularly serious.

If we can't get our terms straight in a discussion, then it causes a load of problems of misunderstanding. If you file a bug report to Apple with the product field set as Finder, it'd go to the Finder team, who aren't responsible for Spotlight. As Apple's terminology is both canonical and what most users tend to use, then that's what we should adopt.

BTW, it may amuse you to know that at WWDC 06, someone stood up in one of the Q&A sessions and said to the Apple engineers: "I believe you guys may have heard of the acronym FTFF?" He got laughter and applause. I reckon that in Leopard they have fixed it.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.
     
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 09:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
In fact, at another keynote, some years ago, he called the Finder "just another application".
He said that when OS X was initially rolled out. The gist of it was that, with OS X's new, much more robust underpinnings, the Finder as we knew it was dead and now the Finder was just another app. This is explicit in OS X, as you can quit and restart the Finder and the underlying OS doesn't really care.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.
     
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 09:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
*sigh*

The spatial Finder was great at a time where a directory contained *maybe* 30 objects. (Beyond that, you're scrolling anyway, making muscle memory completely irrelevant.)

Anything more than that, and you'd have been using list view, anyway, which is not "spatial", and which - apart from sorting - is completely trounced by column view in the OS X Finder.
Thank God someone else is saying this. I didn't even use the spatial aspect of the Finder when my hard drive was a whopping 40MB. Now that I'm using 3TB RAIDs, I really don't want to have a spatial Finder.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.
     
harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a constant state of panic...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2008, 09:58 PM
 
It needs to be out when the new MacBook Airs ship, so it will be released within the next two to three weeks.
Crud. I guess that's not the case anymore. The ones that have shipped still have 10.5.1.

Oh well, it will be a couple of weeks before I can actually pick up a MBP, so maybe by then.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 12:29 AM
 
For the record, the Finder is not synonymous with the human user interface of OS X. The Finder is an app that allows the user to view the file system and manipulate files and launch files. Anyone who says the Finder "is OS X" quite simply doesn't know "shiz from shinola." You can call a dog a cat all day long and insist it is so, but that doesn't make it so.
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
*sigh*

The spatial Finder was great at a time where a directory contained *maybe* 30 objects. (Beyond that, you're scrolling anyway, making muscle memory completely irrelevant.)

Anything more than that, and you'd have been using list view, anyway, which is not "spatial", and which - apart from sorting - is completely trounced by column view in the OS X Finder.
**sigh** icon view is not what defines the spatial Finder - icon view is only an aspect of spatiality. Go read up on the subject if you want to comment on it in an intelligent fashion. Otherwise, carry on in ignorance as you please.
Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
He said that when OS X was initially rolled out. The gist of it was that, with OS X's new, much more robust underpinnings, the Finder as we knew it was dead and now the Finder was just another app. This is explicit in OS X, as you can quit and restart the Finder and the underlying OS doesn't really care.
I think that comment may have been made when Jobs was referring to iTunes doing a better job than the Finder of managing music files, but you are probably right. Either way, the Finder is merely a high profile tool contained in the OS.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 27, 2008 at 12:37 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 02:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by Amorya View Post
No it isn't! It's Apple's software, so their terms are what matter.
So because Apple's private terminology agrees with you, all my critizisms are false..? That's a textbook strawman argument.

I can't be bothered to argue this point with any of you who refuse to discuss because you don't agree with the terminology.

What's the point?

Apple calls things what Apple calls them and people call them what they call them.

Saying that the Finder is only what disappears when you quite Finder app is very accurate and at the same time completely wrong.

Those who think I consider the Finder to be the OS X UI should have more dairy products with their meat, because they are developing dyslexia or dementia.

The Finder.app depends and is depended upon by very many smaller apps, from the applets in the menubar to the Dock.

If anyone is stupid enough to consider trying to continue this argument by using strawmen and semantics, go ahead. I'm not taking part - because it isn't anything I'm interested in.

The Finder needs to be fixed, a fact which has been true since OS X was released.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 04:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I think that comment may have been made when Jobs was referring to iTunes doing a better job than the Finder of managing music files, but you are probably right. Either way, the Finder is merely a high profile tool contained in the OS.
It was one of the early OS X keynotes. 10.1 maybe?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 07:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
**sigh** icon view is not what defines the spatial Finder - icon view is only an aspect of spatiality. Go read up on the subject if you want to comment on it in an intelligent fashion. Otherwise, carry on in ignorance as you please.
Thanks.

But, um remembering icon arrangement and window views was ONE of the aspects that defined the "spatial" Finder (along with Window positioning and the fact that a folder could only be open in one Window at a time).

List view already broke the spatial Finder in a fundamental way, offering an alternate way of looking at the same Folder, even if only one at a time was possible.

And list view was the ONLY way of actually managing the ever-increasing file counts over the years (and oddly, voodoo's preferred view, despite the fact that using disclosure triangles in List View violates one of the fundamental principles of the spatial Finder - the physical anchoring of items at the position a user places them).

Would you like to school me some more, Big Mac, or will you just STFU and stick to the subject?
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 10:58 AM
 
My my, testy, aren't we? Your response doesn't invalidate the point I was making, and if anyone is derailing this thread it is you.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 11:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
My my, testy, aren't we? Your response doesn't invalidate the point I was making, and if anyone is derailing this thread it is you.
That's primarily because you weren't refuting my post, but still chose to insult me.
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 11:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Would you like to school me some more, Big Mac, or will you just STFU and stick to the subject?
You seem to have a habit of attacking others and making things personal. You're not in the Pol/War Lounge, and this kind of incitement doesn't add anything to the thread. Cut it out.
     
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 01:34 PM
 
I dont understand whats going on with this update.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive
     
0157988944
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 01:49 PM
 
It's not being released yet... Mind you, no one guaranteed a release.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 03:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You seem to have a habit of attacking others and making things personal. You're not in the Pol/War Lounge, and this kind of incitement doesn't add anything to the thread. Cut it out.
i don't appreciate being called "unintelligent" or "ignorant".

I consider THAT personal, and I retort in kind.

You have a habit of targetting people you've disagreed with in the Political Lounge, methinks, and the simple fact that I didn't bother to report Big Mac's post doesn't mean that I have a habit of making things personal.

You're not helping.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 03:09 PM
 
Maybe this thread needs to have its permissions repaired?
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 03:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
i don't appreciate being called "unintelligent" or "ignorant".

I consider THAT personal, and I retort in kind.

You have a habit of targetting people you've disagreed with in the Political Lounge, methinks, and the simple fact that I didn't bother to report Big Mac's post doesn't mean that I have a habit of making things personal.

You're not helping.
I think you make frequent and quality contributions to problem-solving and helping members. You clearly demonstrate intelligence.

However, I take issue with your profane and personal-attack style outbursts, which unfortunately derail or detract from otherwise informative and useful threads. It's unfortunate you're making this personal, and choosing to focus on me as an individual rather than your obviously out-of-line post.

If you felt Big Mac's post was inappropriate, that's what the report post button is for. Use it. We read and consider each abuse report. Not reporting it does not give you a free pass on your own abuse.

As always, we encourage members to PM the moderator if they have concerns about a particular action.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Jan 27, 2008 at 03:41 PM. )
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 03:39 PM
 
Just to clarify, I didn't report any post. analogika's audible sigh set me off, and my reply was perhaps a bit too strong as a result. I don't like being told I'm wrong when I'm right (and I do insist I'm right here), but I didn't mean to be personally insulting.

So, who thinks we'll see 10.5.2 this week?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 04:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Just to clarify, I didn't report any post. analogika's audible sigh set me off, and my reply was perhaps a bit too strong as a result. I don't like being told I'm wrong when I'm right (and I do insist I'm right here), but I didn't mean to be personally insulting.

So, who thinks we'll see 10.5.2 this week?
*raises hand*



Tuning a Wurlitzer piano is a good day's work, and rather frustrating. I was a little teed off.

Sorry.
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 04:09 PM
 
Same here

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Appleman
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: France
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 05:10 PM
 
good to see you're friends again!
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 06:31 PM
 
I think I feel a tear running down my leg...
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 07:28 PM
 
Have you ripped your pants again?
     
frdmfghtr
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2008, 11:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
JSo, who thinks we'll see 10.5.2 this week?
I hope so...I'm hoping that it fixes my iCal-icon-sometimes-lagging-a-day problem. I've seen speculation (maybe in this thread) that it would coincide with the Air's launch, rumored to launch in stores Wednesday.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2008, 08:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Oh. Well, in that case, I have just decided that the word "Finder" refers to Chess.app. And since none of your complaints have anything to do with chess, I'm just going to declare all of them invalid.

Check and mate.
I LOLed.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I LOLed.
Simple pleasures...

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,