Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Edge iPhones: What to do with my three extras?

Edge iPhones: What to do with my three extras?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010, 10:48 AM

Hey there,
I recently upgraded my family's three iPhone Edges to three iPhone 4s. So, now I've got three iPhone Edges sitting in a drawer. What are anyone's thoughts on what to do with them?
  • Sell them on eBay? (Is anyone even in the market for these things?)
  • Jailbreak them? (Is there a difference amongst redsn0w, ultrasn0w, or any other jailbreak of which I haven't heard?)
  • Nothing?

To me, they're still very good pieces of technology... so I'm thinking about trying to jailbreak them (of course, I'll have to learn how) and make use of them somehow (I don't know about any jailbreak apps out there that enable things that the old iOS didn't). I just can't see parting with them for the $50 or so each that Gazelle.com offers. It seems like they're worth more as tools (remotes, cameras, etc.) than that.

What do you all think? What have you done with your older iPhone Edges? Thanks so much for any thoughts,
BD

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2010, 01:21 PM

Probably will be worth quite a pretty penny one day. If you have no other use for them I'd stow them and wait a couple decades

-Q-
Dec 29, 2010, 01:29 PM

I have an original Newton worth nothing so I doubt the original iPhone will be worth much more.

I'd unlock/jailbreak them and sell them on eBay or just use them as iPod Touches.

ibook_steve
Dec 29, 2010, 02:37 PM

Forgive me, but what is an "iPhone Edge?" If you are talking about a 3G or a 3GS, I have never heard them referred to as "Edges."

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2010, 02:51 PM

2G would be my guess. Egde was pre 3G

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Forgive me, but what is an "iPhone Edge?" If you are talking about a 3G or a 3GS, I have never heard them referred to as "Edges."

Steve
I assume he is talking about the first gen iphone which was limited to Edge network speeds.

I also upgraded from an original iphone to an iphone 4. I don't use the old phone much even though the battery life is great and it is in great condition. Maybe use it as a remote, connect it to a sound system, use it with a GPS mount in a car that has its own GPS antenna, or unlock it so you can use it overseas with other networks.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ibook_steve
Dec 29, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
2G would be my guess. Egde was pre 3G
Ah, that makes sense.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2010, 05:08 PM

Unlocked 2G iPhone go for about $100 bucks. I would sell them on craigslist. You could probably move all three at once to someone who refurbs things like that.

Turning them into old slow iPod Touches seems like a cool idea on paper, but with an iPhone 4 in your pocket, what would you even need it for? Unless you know some kids who would would appreciate one.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2010, 06:59 PM

They are pretty slow for using for anything these days. I see them on craigslist from $40-90 generally. If you travel a lot overseas then hang onto them for traveling.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2010, 08:31 PM

My six-year-old, for the most part, loves the original iPhone I gave him. I locked it down via Parental Controls, put games on it and it's more fun than his DS. The only thing that sucks there is when he sees some graphically-intense or gyroscope-dependent game on my iPhone 4 and wants to play it, but is unable to on his 2007 device.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010, 03:54 AM

Hi there,
Thanks for all of the suggestions, folks. I think that I'll unlock/jailbreak all three... and then only keep one as a remote/techtoy/internationaltravelphone.

Can anyone tell me if there is a "preferred" jailbreaking application or method for these first generation iPhones? The one that I see the most is redsn0w.

Thanks again,
BD

* P.S. Yes, when I stated "iPhone Edge" I was trying to specify that it was a first generation, non-3G data iPhone. Sorry for the confusion.

laieboy
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2010, 01:28 PM

Put them up on craigslist. Thats what I did with mines. People are still buying them.
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoulderDash View Post
Hi there,
Thanks for all of the suggestions, folks. I think that I'll unlock/jailbreak all three... and then only keep one as a remote/techtoy/internationaltravelphone.

Can anyone tell me if there is a "preferred" jailbreaking application or method for these first generation iPhones? The one that I see the most is redsn0w.

Thanks again,
BD

* P.S. Yes, when I stated "iPhone Edge" I was trying to specify that it was a first generation, non-3G data iPhone. Sorry for the confusion.
Since they can't run anything higher than 3.1.3, jailbreakme.com will work best. No apps needed and you can do it directly in Mobile Safari.

Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2010, 05:11 PM

You gotta keep at least one. Even if its not worth money some day..thats a piece of history you are holding. I sold mine and will forever regret it.
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

Forum Links
Forum Rules