Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need to mute Flash audio while listening to iTunes

Need to mute Flash audio while listening to iTunes
krylon80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2011, 01:23 PM

Please read the whole post carefully before suggestions solutions, thank you!

I would like to mute the audio on this game while playing the game and listening to iTunes: Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - The Game on Facebook

I am running an Intel Mac OS X 10.6.

Thank you in advance!
( Last edited by krylon80; Jan 25, 2011 at 02:19 PM. )

ibook_steve
Jan 25, 2011, 02:12 PM

Welcome to our forums!

Yelling at the beginning of your first post is usually not very good form. People will read your post.

That being said, if the game itself does not have volume controls, which would be very odd, then there's not much you can do. Flash doesn't have a separate volume control from other audio.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

krylon80  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks Steve, I don't know how many times I've gotten suggestions that only work in Windows, block flash entirely, etc. and aren't what I'm looking for. I felt the need to make it clear in order to properly address this situation the whole post must be read. This is based on experience, though I wish it wasn't necessary.

That being said, the game does not have in-game volume controls, which actually is not that unusual for Facebook-based flash games. If you are/were familiar with Flash Mute (WIN only) or Detour (PPC Macs only) they do precisely what I'm asking for, just on different platforms so it is possible to control volume for Flash separately.

I am looking for a similar program/script/code/plug-in/workaround/whatever that will have the same desired effect on an Intel Mac.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2011, 08:58 PM

I'm sure I saw an app for that a while ago. Possibly by Rogue Amoeba (but I don't see anything on their website to that effect). Maybe Audio Hijack Pro could be used for that but it's not clear. If you can isolate the sounds coming from an application, there's also a way to mute it.

I'd like if Apple would come out with a way to disable other sounds when I switch audio "sources". Ex: I'm listening to iTunes then I watch a small video on YouTube or Facebook, the system would recognize I'm listening to a new stream and mute things in the background. After all, if it can "sense" a video playing so it can disable the screensaver, it must be quite simple to do the same thing with audio!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2011, 03:00 AM

Cycling74's SoundFlower

Forum Links
Forum Rules