Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > InDesign (2 & CS) to PDF Problem

InDesign (2 & CS) to PDF Problem
turk.o
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 09:20 PM

I am having a very weird problem with InDesign, and I've had it for awhile but I finally am trying to get some help.

When i export an InDesign document that has a bitmap image in it to a press or print quality PDF it exports it, but somehow changes the solid black to an 91% fill. i have double checked everything i can think of, and the image is definitely 100% solid black in inDesign and when i open the PDF in photshop, it is 91% and it drives me crazy. the same thing happens in both 2.0.2 and CS (3.0).

for a sample of the 91% problem download either of these PDFs here:

http://www.crimethinc.com/downloadsready/ftaa.html

some insight into what is going on would be appreciated.

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 11:01 PM

I think your issue is most likely that InDesign is flattening the image to make an Acrobat 4 compatible file. (PDF 1.3 does not support transparency).

Change your PDF export type to Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) at least.

Also, check your setting under the menu option Edit > Transparency Blend Space >

Make sure it's not RGB if you are working in CMYK.

naderby
Nov 12, 2003, 09:53 AM

Yeah, this'll be Colour Management.

Open the PDF up in Acrobat. Pull down the 'View' menu and toggle the 'Proof Colours' on and off. Notice how the black density changes?

This is because, in actual fact, 100k in printed matter never LOOKS solid black. Solid black is achieved adding other colours to the black to produce a 'Rich black'. So it is previewing it correctly, in a way. But you'll find it is 100k if a repro shop seperated the PDF into CMYK. Your proofing printer may print it greyish.

Photoshop rasterisation will only work correctly if you rasterise to CMYK rather than RGB. Greyscale rasterisation isn't much good is it takes a RGB view of the file first.

If you do rastherise as Greyscale, just clip the darkest area to 100k using the black eyedropper in 'Levels'.

Hope I haven't confused matters any more!

Forum Links
Forum Rules