Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > MOH Breakthrough Demo Avail...

MOH Breakthrough Demo Avail...
Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 04:58 PM

Medal Of Honor Breakthrough Demo:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18245

This thing lags worse than Spearhead... completely unplayable on my 800mhz G4 iMac.

Looks good for those of you with the newer hardware though.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 06:05 PM

They HAVE to stop using crappy .sit for distrubtion. They usually break too easily

.dmg or .tgz is the way to go

Ryan Becker  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
They HAVE to stop using crappy .sit for distrubtion. They usually break too easily

.dmg or .tgz is the way to go
That is true, however, I downloaded the file the day it came out, and my download manager had to reconnect more than 4,000 times, and it didn't corrupt the file.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 6, 2004, 01:04 AM

Downloading now on a PB17 Rev. A.
The original MoH was running just fine.
Looks like download will take forever.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 08:34 AM

Same here on my G4/867 with a GeForce 4Ti. Played it for about a minute and promptly went back to Call of Duty.

Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
Medal Of Honor Breakthrough Demo:

This thing lags worse than Spearhead... completely unplayable on my 800mhz G4 iMac.

Looks good for those of you with the newer hardware though.

-Ryan

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Jul 6, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
They HAVE to stop using crappy .sit for distrubtion.
Breakthrough is one of the last games we'll do that has to run on OS 9, so we don't have a choice.
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Jul 6, 2004, 03:27 PM

Really? I get the same framerates on the MP maps common to MOHAA and Spearhead in Breakthrough as I do in those other apps. If anyone sees anything different, please let us know.
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

Ryan Becker  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
Really? I get the same framerates on the MP maps common to MOHAA and Spearhead in Breakthrough as I do in those other apps. If anyone sees anything different, please let us know.
Well, I could only stand it long enough to try 2 maps, and they were both new to Breakthrough... they weren't the ones common to MOHAA or Spearhead.

Maybe I'll give it another try tonight...

-Ryan

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Jul 6, 2004, 10:52 PM

Well, I could only stand it long enough to try 2 maps, and they were both new to Breakthrough... they weren't the ones common to MOHAA or Spearhead.

Maybe I'll give it another try tonight...
One other thing - I've heard that some folks have had performance issues in Breakthrough that have been solved by removing .cfg files from the original MOHAA folder (in the base folder). There can be some settings in there that cause Breakthrough to run slower than it would with a clean install. If you notice a dramatic performance difference, that may be something to look at as well.
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2004, 08:45 AM

Is this true of the demo as well? On my G4/867, the Breakthrough demo was pretty much unplayable. The original MoH game was OK at 1024x768 with medium detail, and Call of Duty plays smooth as silk.

One other thing - I've heard that some folks have had performance issues in Breakthrough that have been solved by removing .cfg files from the original MOHAA folder (in the base folder). There can be some settings in there that cause Breakthrough to run slower than it would with a clean install. If you notice a dramatic performance difference, that may be something to look at as well.

Ryan Becker  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2004, 12:25 PM

Are you referring to the full version of Breakthrough then? I only have the Demo, which isn't even in the MOHAA folder...

-Ryan

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 06:24 AM

I've bought the full version of Breakthrough. Runs brilliantly on my 1gig Rev a 17" PB.

However the installer was a pain in the butt. Took me about 3 times before it was installed properly. I much prefer the drag and drop method of, say, Battlefield.

Forum Links
Forum Rules