Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Glasses, Already A Scuff

New Glasses, Already A Scuff
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 07:04 PM

I got a new pair of glasses in the middle of the summer and they already have a slight scuff on one of the lenses. These are plastic lenses with a reflection-reducing coating. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to get rid of the scuff?

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 08:08 PM

im sure a nice sunglass place or eye doctor has something to remove stratches.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 08:13 PM

Smash them with a brick, go back to the store, and say the prescription is wrong.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:05 PM

Depends what you mean by "scuff". Often they can polish the lens but only if its just that: a scuff.

Couple months ago I did the same thing. Was on vacation at a trailer someone had lent me. There was a steep slope from the trailer to the lake. Tripped on a rock an my glasses went flying. One lens got a nice scratch the other a slight scuff. They were able to replace both for free..

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2004, 09:07 PM

i don't think you can get rid of that scuff if you have that special coating on the lens.. that means you scuffed off some of that coating.

kikkoman
Senior User
Sep 4, 2004, 01:45 AM

Sorry your SOL. Those coatings are really delicate do not try to buff it out because you'll end up scratching the coating. Just be careful. Do not clean your lenses with anything else but optical polishing cloth

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2004, 01:55 AM

Like everyone has been asking, is the lens scratched or is the AR coating scratched?

If the lens is scratched and if the lens was advertised as "scratch resistant lenses", you can usually bring them in and sometimes they will make you a new lens. If not advertised as "scratch resistant", you're outta luck. Sorry.

If the AR coating is scratched (especially this early), they should replace the lens or at least do a recoating of the AR coat.

This is what my sister said her place would do if they sold you the glasses. It all depends on the optical place you bought from.

And like prviously mentioned, she said to only use the special optical cloth and AR cleaning solution for your lenses. Never Kleenex, t-shirts, etc. She's yelled at me many times for that.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules