Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > emac w/ext lacie... help

emac w/ext lacie... help
neda101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 12:05 PM

this is the 2nd posting of my problem... the last post rcvd 74 looks w no replys... is my question tough or confusing in the way it's written... Thanks

I recently bought a lacie dual layer dvd burner, after my emac stopped burning discs but still plays, but my emac won't let me download iDVD with the ext lacie burner, does anyone know of software for my emac that will allow editing of video then the burning of dvd's on my ext lacie... however I can burn music no problem through iTunes... iMovie doesn't work either... it tells me to use iDVD, which I can't download because I don't have an internal Superdrive... I hope this isn't to confusing... help!

Thanks

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2006, 08:53 PM

Do you mean you cannot install iDVD from your external DVD drive? ('download' suggests getting it from the internet)

You may find this useful:-
http://forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-246189.html
See the entry regarding using pacifist to extract the install files.

Also if you search for 'burning on external drives with iDVD' on Google, you'll find people who have managed to do this, it involves a little bit of tweaking with iDVD 4 but is supported ouf of the box with iDVD 5

Hope this helps
( Last edited by Will C; Aug 2, 2006 at 11:25 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 03:10 AM

Then maybe patchburn could help you to get support with older iDVD versions if you are currently not able to install the app.

www.patchburn.de

But as Will C told you, newer iDVD versions do support more and more third party burners.

neda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 07:06 PM

I have iLife `05... and it has iDVD `05... and I still can't install the app, my emac drive is reading dvd's and when I try a custom installation and chose just iDVD it still burns everything but idvd, I do a computer search for idvd and it doesn't come up, also in the read me it says I need a superdrive... ahhhhh! is this possible??

neda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply... i am using iDVD 05...

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2006, 03:43 AM

Which eMac do you have? (CPU speed RAM etc) and which OS are you running? Also,what kind of internal optical drive do you have built into your eMac CD, CD-RW, DVD reader, DVD-RW?

Sorry - can't work it out from your posts.

neda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 12:33 PM

Thanks again for your help...
here is more information...

my emac, is a 1.25Ghz with os x 10.4.7, I have a dvd reader not burner for internal
and the lacie dual layer dvd player/burner externally, in my last reply I said burn when i meant to say install.

Neda

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2006, 02:51 PM

OK, I think the first link I listed - http://forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-246189.html has the info you need - it is neither easy nor difficult to do what the poster there does (installs iDVD on a non superdrive equipped mac), but you will need to know how to find invisible files, package contents etc.

I have not done it and although I could probably work it out, I cannot advise all the step by step details, but good luck and post back if you need help. Maybe send the poster in the other thread a private message as he appears to have got it working?

neda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 10:01 PM

Thanks alot Will.... I'll see if he can help.....
Neda

Forum Links
Forum Rules