Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Server Question (10.4)

Time Server Question (10.4)
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2011, 08:38 PM

I have an ibook running 10.4. This computer takes readings on the :05's and stores them in a mysql database. But the clock on this machine runs fast. Fast enough that after a few days, it's a few minutes off. I have the machine set to set it's time automatically, but it seems like it only PERFORMS that sync when you open the control panel. Is there some way I can make the computer sync it's time for often. Maybe once or twice a day, at a specific time.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2011, 11:53 PM

It looks like it's a known issue with 10.4. User in the following thread has the same problem. There's a terminal fix you can try in the link provided by the second poster (or access it directly here).

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2011, 11:54 PM

Or, as the time syncs every time the control panel is opened, you could write a short automator script to do it regularly!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2011, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Or, as the time syncs every time the control panel is opened, you could write a short automator script to do it regularly!
That won't work for this setup. I followed apple's step above, and they didn't work right away. I guess I'll give it a day and see if it gets back in sync. I don't really get how a time sync server can get out of sync in the first place. Isn't it's sole purpose, to sync to a time server. Seems odd.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2011, 12:34 AM

You can see what NTP is doing to the clock by looking in the system log. I assume that if NTP is working properly, you should see some entries there after a few days. (and if it is not working at all, you would see a lack of entries).

Open up a Terminal session, and type

grep ntpd /var/log/system.log

The logs had just recently rotated on my MacBook (running 10.5), and my MacBook spends a lot of the day asleep, so I only saw two entries:

Jan 24 19:37:57 macbook ntpd[14]: time reset +0.162321 s
Jan 25 19:11:41 macbook ntpd[14]: time reset -0.189478 s

You can see the last rotated log by typing this:

bunzip2 -c /var/log/system.log.0.bz2 | grep ntp

I saw several more time reset lines in that log.
( Last edited by Dork.; Jan 26, 2011 at 01:04 AM. )

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2011, 12:36 AM

It would appear that my NTP is doing... very little.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2011, 01:08 AM

I would also assume that if you restart ntpd using the instructions in the kb article, then you would see entries in the log corresponding to the reset.

(I can't test it out because I have 10.5, and the method for restarting ntpd is different than what is presented in the kb.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules