Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iPod Sensitivity

New iPod Sensitivity
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 02:05 AM

I was at a new Apple store today and picked up a 40 GB iPod...I sold my second gen 20 GB and upgraded to this. I snagged some music off an iMac there for the ride home, and I found it very annoying to try and use the new touch-sensitive buttons! It's driving me crazy! The slightest touch makes you click them. I try to find them in the dark and end up going back and forward, selecting the completely wrong thing, etc. Is there anything I can do to fix this? A MUG member mentioned he heard that someone put a square piece of vinyl over the controls and it made it perfect. Are there any commercial "iSkin" like things that cover the buttons enough to make them less sensitive?

By the way, I also bought a MacAlly ICEkey keyboard...it's the BEST keyboard I've ever owned. I love it! It's got laptop-height keys, so now I can type much faster. It's a beautiful thing :-P

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 02:37 PM

I had a sensitivity problem with the 15GB (3G) ipod... but everything seemed to be "perfect" for touch sensitive-ness on my 40GB (3G).

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 02:44 PM

Weird...I can just barely touch my finger to any of the buttons, and they accept that as a "press." Drives me crazy. I'm actually using my wired remote a lot now. I never used it before on my 2G iPod, except to show off the novelty, lol.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 06:36 PM

Give it a little while, you may get used to it. I did. It was bugging me for a bit, but now I'm used to the sensitivity. Either that, or with use, the sensitivity has gone down a bit.

fener
Nov 2, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
I found it very annoying to try and use the new touch-sensitive buttons! It's driving me crazy! The slightest touch makes you click them.
Thats WHY they are called TOUCH BUTTON! and NOT push button!

I find Touch buttons way more easy and fast to use and navigate the iPod. Especially the scroll wheel, AWESOME. You just slide through it, so fast! I'm sure you will love the touch buttons after you get used to them. Remember, don't push, just TOUCH.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 01:58 AM

Having owned both a 1st Generation 5GB iPod and a 3rd Generation 10GB (simply don't need more), I can tell you the new touch-sensitive buttons do get easier to use. That being said, I believe the earlier button layout was better and would go back in a heartbeat if I could get the new features with the old style of buttons.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 02:49 AM

I can't handle the touch wheels, too sensitive and no feedback. Won't be giving up my first gen 5 gb iPod until I die and even then you might have a hard time prying it from my cold dead fingers.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

aktive
Nov 3, 2003, 07:51 AM

I like the new touch buttons on the 3g ipods, they just seem so much more 'cool' than the 2g ipods button. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 2g ipod for a long time. But, slowly but surely, my new 3g is winning me over.
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Weird...I can just barely touch my finger to any of the buttons, and they accept that as a "press." Drives me crazy. I'm actually using my wired remote a lot now. I never used it before on my 2G iPod, except to show off the novelty, lol.
I had this same exact problem with my 15gig ipod....drove me nuts! luckily, that week the 40gig came out--so i traded up for it and the problem went away.

i thought all the ipods in september were a little less sensitive, but i guess it ranges from pod to pod

fado
Nov 5, 2003, 01:31 PM

however, it is better then the first gen where you swirl the dial and it continues to roll without stopping. That my friend is annoying because a shift in weight with turbulance can change the selected menu. I am so happy for my new 40gig iPod.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 07:55 PM

I can barely pick up my 40GB without something happening..my finger just barely brushes the edge of the button, and it goes to the beginning...stuff like that. It's very very annoying. Can I put something over it to make it ease up a bit?

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 09:52 PM

I just messed with it for a bit...it's so sensitive that I can use the "buttons" without actually letting my skin touch them. It's extremely close...but come on...If I so much as pick the thing up wrong, it goes wild.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2003, 11:40 AM

I wonder if there's anything in the debug menu to adjust the sensitivity of the buttons? I poked around a little and didn't find anything, but I stayed away from some items I wasn't sure of what they'd do...

Forum Links
Forum Rules