Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Would my Bank Flag Me?

Would my Bank Flag Me?
MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 06:36 AM

OK, one of my clients has given me $4,000 in cash for a project. I have not deposited the money yet. He will give me another $2,000 in a few days. Would my bank flag me for a cash deposit of this size? I can either deposit the cash in my business or personal account.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 5, 2007, 06:38 AM

1. Get a new bank

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 06:46 AM

Not understanding your response.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2007, 06:51 AM

I looked around Google, and it seems banks only see cash deposit sizes as unusual when they're of $9000 or more. I think you should be fine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2007, 06:53 AM

To keep things straight, stick it in your business account Mal. If your bank flags you for it, ask them on what date cash stopped being legal tender.

Or, just stick it under your mattress and live off it for a while if you don't actually need it in your bank.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I looked around Google, and it seems banks only see cash deposit sizes as unusual when they're of $9000 or more. I think you should be fine.
Hmmm, I hope that makes everything cool. I'll see if there is any more input.

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post

Or, just stick it under your mattress and live off it for a while if you don't actually need it in your bank.
Yeah, I did consider that.

talisker
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 07:25 AM

What do you mean by "flag me"? As far as I know there's nothing comparable in the UK, although as part of both the money laundering and terrorist regulations banks have to verify the identity of their customers more carefully now. I'm sure banks may take more precautions when it comes to large deposits, but nothing that would be bad for the customer.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 07:36 AM

I work for a bank. If this is a one time deposit then no, but if you were to start doing these large cash deposit on a regular basis and its not into a commerical account then you probably would get "flagged" or just have some notes written on your account that only the people at the bank would see... you would NEVER if you had any notes on your account about suspiscous activity.

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I work for a bank. If this is a one time deposit then no, but if you were to start doing these large cash deposit on a regular basis and its not into a commerical account then you probably would get "flagged" or just have some notes written on your account that only the people at the bank would see... you would NEVER if you had any notes on your account about suspiscous activity.
Oh, that is good to read. You are in Georgia as well so that makes it even better.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Ditto.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 10:02 AM

If anything, your bank would probably flag you as "looks like they have a lot of money to throw around," and put you on more of their spam/junk mail lists.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

reader50
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by talisker View Post
What do you mean by "flag me"? ...
Flag him as a possible drug dealer, with huge sums of cash to deposit on a regular basis. If I recall correctly, a bank has to report deposits of $10,000 or more, so the point where they notice you would be somewhere around there.

There is nothing illegal with depositing lots of cash. Retail stores do it all the time. Things would only get dicey if you couldn't explain how you kept coming by huge amounts over time.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Flag him as a possible drug dealer, with huge sums of cash to deposit on a regular basis. If I recall correctly, a bank has to report deposits of $10,000 or more, so the point where they notice you would be somewhere around there.
That's exactly it. This almost happened to my father once, but the bank actually told him they were going to flag him, so he only deposited $9000.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2007, 03:35 PM

afro, timbos, probably an LRG hoodie..

yo they're gonna dog-sniff your cheddar. hope your client doesn't have dirty money!

heh, kidding, you should be fine
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2007, 03:38 PM

oh, and just wondering- what kind of project is it? saul goode if you don't feel like sharing.
ice

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2007, 03:40 PM

If you are still worried, jsut get some money orders and use them to pay credit card bills.

-t

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
afro, timbos, probably an LRG hoodie..

yo they're gonna dog-sniff your cheddar. hope your client doesn't have dirty money!

heh, kidding, you should be fine
I know, right? I deposited it a few hours ago. It was kinda funny because there was this awkward silence as the teller sllloooowwwwlllyyy counted and bundled the bills.

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
oh, and just wondering- what kind of project is it? saul goode if you don't feel like sharing.
It was from a web design/programming project.

OT: I may be down your way soon. I really need a vacation and my brother owns a vacant condo down there off of Ocean BLVD.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 6, 2007, 12:56 AM

When i worked as a teller at a bank I know there was a limit on cash transactions before we had to have the customer fill out a tax form to submit to the government. I want to say that the limit was $3000 a day, but it's been awhile. I seem to remember having someone withdraw $2999 so they wouldn't have to fill out paperwork...but then again, I could very easily be wrong about the limit. I do know for a fact that a limit exists after which you must submit a form to the IRS...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
1. Get a new bank
And how exactly would that change anything, aside from picking a bank outside of the US ?

-t

Railroader
Banned
Sep 6, 2007, 10:20 AM

What I want to know is what exactly is the negative consequences for being "flagged" anyway?

I deposit large amounts and move money quite readily from account to account with a yearly income less than $7.5k. So I am "flagged". Big whoop.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
What I want to know is what exactly is the negative consequences for being "flagged" anyway?
Move closer to the top of the list for a tax audit?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 6, 2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Move closer to the top of the list for a tax audit?
A very brief cursory glance at my tax filings would clearly indicate that everything is kosher. But for someone who is not keeping things completely legal, that would be a bad thing for them (and a good thing™ for me).

Forum Links
Forum Rules