Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Do I need a DLS Modem if I have an ABS?

Do I need a DLS Modem if I have an ABS?
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2005, 07:59 PM

I 'think' the answer is yes, but before I plop down $100 for Verizon's Westell Modem I thought I'd check here first. Thanks, T.

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 15, 2005, 08:34 PM

with cable or dsl you will need a modem.

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2005, 09:32 PM

Yes, you do. The AirPort devices are routers, but not modems. I have a Westell 516 that's served me well for several years-they're good products. When I signed up for DSL with SBC, they rebated me the cost of the modem...does Verizon do that for you?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2005, 09:56 PM

Sorry guys if this was a silly question. I'm just confused b/c at my house all I have is an ABS which is all I need to connect to my building's cable connection (and my ABS also has a dial up "modem" which I thought might work). But thanks for the info.

Anyway, the modem is not free as I got a bill from Verizon for $100 for it!!! I called, and they said I had to pay. I checked amazon and they are as low as $30 there. I haven't checked ebay yet. It just seems silly to pay $100 for this thing (also, I think I still have a Roadrunner modem in one of my closets that was in my apartment when I moved in - maybe that'll work too). btw, I'm writing about a business account, so I am already peeved that I have to pay $10/month more than I would pay if I had this exact same service installed in my house - across the street from my office!

So, thanks again for the quick responses. Hopefully I can find that RR modem (which I am assuming will be compatible with Verizon as well) since it won't cost me anything.

Sosa
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 10:42 AM

On a related point, can I buy a cable modem that comes with wireless access? I just installed a cable highspeed connection and of course they are charging me a rental fee for their modem. I want to buy my own, preferrably with wireless access. I've read up on the Airport Express and Extreme and they both require being attached to a modem. So any advice?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2005, 12:04 PM

Wolf, a cable modem won't work with DSL and a DSL modem won't work with cable; they're two separate technologies. But go with the $30 modem if Verizon will still connect you.

Sosa, I don't know of any cable modems that come with wireless-at this point I don't know of any that have any router capability at all. That doesn't mean that there aren't any, just that I haven't seen one or heard about one. Just about all the cable providers use the same standard for their system, so buying your own cable modem is a smart choice. You may, however, have to buy a separate modem and router to do what you want to.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sosa
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 03:22 PM

Thank you ghporter. I guess I'll just by my own cable modem, I've heard motorola has some nice ones although it costs $70, and then by Airport Express. That should do the trick but it going to cost me $200.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the info. Verizon is supposed to install my dsl service tomorrow. I have read some horror stories about dsl but I'm hoping this installation will go smoothly. Unfortunatley, while verizon is activating it I still have to get a private vendor to run the line from the server/phone room to my office. Seems weird, but Verizon will only give me "tone" etc., to a specific area of the building. The rest is up to privarte vendors . . . and it already took 3 weeks just to get my phone working

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2005, 07:44 PM

They make cable modems with built-in wireless routers; there was the big fiasco about a year ago with Comcast and some RCA model, because people were buying it at a store themselves, and as soon as they powered it up, Comcast was uploading a new firmware to it, which set an open network and locked the user out of the configuration interface!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules