Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Applecare or not

Applecare or not
Maxxum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 04:52 PM

I have a dual-processor powermac G5. For some reason, the application I use does not have an intel version, so I have to stick with ppc Mac.

A week ago, I failed to wake it up and I heard a not-too-loud 'pop'. After that the machine cannot be turned on. I guessed the power supply broke and a Mac repair store confirmed my guess. My machine is out of warranty and the total cost of repair (power supply replacement) is 200 bucks.

Since I am going to count on this machine in the next couple of years, do you guys think I should invest another $250 for Applecare (extends warranty from 90 days to 3 years)

Thank you very much for any opion and suggestion!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 04:59 PM

Unfortunately, if I'm reading your post right you cannot extend your warranty at this point. You can buy AppleCare to extend your standard one year warranty an extra two years only if you buy it within the original one year warranty period. And yes, AppleCare is a good idea.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Maxxum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 05:06 PM

Thank you, Big Mac!

I will pray for the "health" of my Mac after I get it back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 10:00 AM

I'll hope the same thing for you. G5s rock.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules