Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which iPod case to buy?

Which iPod case to buy?
palmberg
Senior User
Dec 16, 2002, 09:15 AM

And which features do you find most valuable?

velocipede
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by palmberg:
And which features do you find most valuable?
If you've got a 5 or 10 gig iPod, I'd recommend the iSee from Countour Design. It's totally clear, has a removeable clip which is pretty sturdy, and little rubber feet on the back to keep it put when it's on a table or desk. It also comes with a removeable carrying case for the earbuds. It's also cheaper than a lot leather cases.

palmberg  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2002, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by velocipede:

If you've got a 5 or 10 gig iPod,
I don't. But that case sounds cool.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2002, 04:05 PM

Where do you find these cases on the Internet? Apple's (the one that comes with the 5 or 10 gig) is next to useless, since you can't use the scroll wheel. That little control button is useless when you have 1600 songs to sort through (unless you're a madman with the playlists).

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

slider
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 06:46 PM

A good place to start is the iPod lounge I have the Super Dooper case I am really happy with it.

palmberg  (op)
Senior User
Dec 19, 2002, 05:28 PM

I just got an iSkin the other day, and it's really, really cool. And they had one that matched my Key Lime iBook!

I would like to get another case that covers the iPod's screen and scroll wheel, but the iSkin is really nice for toting the iPod around and having quick access to its controls. Check them out.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 19, 2002, 10:11 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jun 26, 2004 at 02:27 AM. )

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2002, 11:27 PM

i had two (our puppy got one (the ipod was fine but he did a number on the ear buds) and i lost the other) cheap genaric caselogic, MP3 player cases even though i couldn't see the screen or distincly push the button, it provided great protection, and for 10 bucks hey who cares.

I got the iSee back in september, its a great case, all clear, but damn that thing takes more scratches then my ipod, its got a ton on the plastic sliding thing that covers the screen so its a little hard to read, but i am sure you can buff it out. also when i had it in my pocket that front cover kept sliding up so i just threw some duct tape on the sides and that thig isn't going anyware. plus it adds to the character of my pod.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

palmberg  (op)
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Exactly. If quality and craftsmanship mean anything to you... go here.

http://www.sfbags.com/
Only problem is, those are fugly as shiat. I'd rather have:

http://www.xtrememac.com/foripod/casecolors.shtml

Maybe in red leather.

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 03:20 PM

I have got to second Xtrememac, I have the black leather case, protects the iPod well, looks good and is well made. Reasonably priced too.

Xtrememac makes quality stuff at reasonable prices (no connection other than a happy customer). The iPod Lounge (as already mentioned) has plenty of resources as well, which is where I looked before I made my choice.
( Last edited by BTP; Dec 20, 2002 at 03:27 PM. )
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 03:27 PM

I use an Oakley sunglass bag that I got for about $5 at Sunglass Hut. It's made of a microfiber material that keeps the fingerprints off. Granted, it doesn't provide complete protection, but since the iPod now has a remote, I hardly ever take it out of the bag.

Chris

Jadey
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 11:44 PM

everythingipod.com has a bunch of different iPod cases.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 09:26 PM

I just got a second generation 10 gig last week and I love it... but being the obsessive compulsive neat freak I am, I don't even want to use my iPod until it's got some kind of case.

I'm leaning towards either the Contour Design iSee or XtremeMac's iPod Case. I'm not really one for clipping things onto my belt, I think I'd much rather store the thing in my pocket. As much as I'd like to be a belt clipper, I really think it's not for me. I'm just over the fence on the iSee but the site lists the thing as $29 where the XtremeMac solution is only $13. What do you guys think of both of these products?

For those of you with belt clip cases, how handy is are the iPod controls being on your belt? Does the case get in the way ever?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2004, 12:57 AM

I recently got an iSkin exo2 (carbon color). It's the first case other than the Apple one that I've had. I like it. It's a nice soft rubbery material, which gives it good grip. It has a screen protector, removable clip, and small nobs on the bottom as well as air holes to give it ventilation. My only problem is, I wish I would've gotten the "arctic" color.

Oh, and another problem is that it's not exactly quick and easy to get the case on and off. And with the case on, it won't fit in the dock. So in order to dock, you must slip the case off (you can connect the cable with the case on though). Not a huge deal, but not as convenient as I would've hoped.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I recently got an iSkin exo2 (carbon color). It's the first case other than the Apple one that I've had. I like it. It's a nice soft rubbery material, which gives it good grip. It has a screen protector, removable clip, and small nobs on the bottom as well as air holes to give it ventilation. My only problem is, I wish I would've gotten the "arctic" color.

Oh, and another problem is that it's not exactly quick and easy to get the case on and off. And with the case on, it won't fit in the dock. So in order to dock, you must slip the case off (you can connect the cable with the case on though). Not a huge deal, but not as convenient as I would've hoped.
I was very interested in the iSkin exo2... until I realized it wasn't for the second generation iPods.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 02:34 AM

I went ahead and bought the XtremeMac leather case. Cheaper.

orbital~debris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 08:46 AM

A few months ago, i bought an iSee for my 1st gen 5 GB iPod, and it has been a pretty good purchase - it's a very sturdy case, seems to protect the iPod well, fits tightly and gives the impression that if you were to drop your iPod with it's iSee case on, it would live to tell the tale.

Since then, my girlfriend won a 3rd gen iPod (at an iLife demo day in Manchester - that's about the only good thing Apple UK has ever done!) and needed a case for it. Since at that time iSee cases for the new iPods didn't exist, she decided to get an eXo iSkin. She received really good customer service from Lajo's site, and his distributor in the UK - would totally recommend buying from Lajo ( http://www.lajo.biz/ ).

The eXo cases are as good as the iSee case, but in different ways. Whilst the iSee case makes the iPod chunkier, the eXos help to maintain the sleek feeling as you can still get a rough idea of the iPod's dimensions through the silicone. The eXo cases are also reassuring due to their non-slip tactility, and when you take them off the iPod, seem to renew that out-of-the-box new iPod feeling to the plastic. A disadvantage is that the eXos attract dust/lint/pocket-fluff quickly, and this can sometimes work its way inside the case. Also with the eXo, a free iShade screen protector was shipped alongside a clear Zip case to keep earbuds & remote in. (I've read that the new eXo 3 cases have thin silicone covering the scroll wheel and controls for greater protection.) One area when the Lajo eXo cases pull ahead of most of the competition is the range of colours & texture patterns.

I recently bought a new case for my girlfriend for her birthday. (The eXo case was more for protection of her iPod when in a bag or travelling, anyway - I guess a girl's need for a selection of bags & shoes to choose from now extends to iPod cases as well!) Having seen the original Emilio Pucci design case for 1st gen iPods online and then in the colette store in Paris (whilst at Apple Expo 2003), i waited until the new cases for the 3rd gen iPod were available. Got her a pink Pucci case, which is made from cotton & vinyl. ( you can see the 3 designs at collete: http://www.colette.fr/index.php ) It's actually a really nicely made case, with a really cool belt-hook, where the iPod hangs upside down from your belt, so that when you hinge it up (the hook rotates 360� and swings vertically) the iPod is the right way up to access the controls. One side of the case is transparent, the other is in the Pucci fabric. There's a pouch on the fabric side with flap to store earbuds in, and holes on the end of the case for the earbuds to plug through and to slide the hold button. You get the iPod in and out through a zippered slot, and the case itself comes inside a drawstring Pucci bag which could be used to keep iPod accessories i suppose. All in all, a very fashionable, high quality and well designed case. Quite expensive (�99) but great as a gift (especially girlfriends!)

All three cases are good buys, depends on which would suit your needs really.
Anyway, hope this helps someone in some way

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 06:09 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. I kinda wish I had bought the iSee but money's tight right now... I have to buy books for next semester (which is never pretty). I went with the XtremeMac, should be fine.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 06:33 PM

I just purchased the Contour Showcase for my 3G iPod. I was going to get the new Xtrememac case since I really liked the one I purchased for the original 5 GB iPod ... but once I saw the Showcase I changed my mind. And the Xtrememac case being backordered for 3 months didn't help either! You can check out a review (with detailed pictures) of this case here ....

iPodLounge Review of Contour Showcase

OAW

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 07:57 PM

I went through two Xtrememac cases before I switched to an iSkin Exo2. The Xtrememac was pretty cool, but there were some things I didn't like about it:

1) In order to use the iPod, you have to open the flap, essentially making the iPod twice as large.
2) The flap will sometimes go all the way around so it doesn't get in the way, but only on headphones that have an angled connector. Ones with a straight connector are too large for the flap to go around.
3) The biggest problem was the velcro. If this one thing was fixed I would have been happy. The velcro is really crappy and it wears out within a week. At first it's nice and secure but after a short time, it becomes very loose and the flap is often hanging by half a dozen odd threads. Therefore it comes open pretty easily and you don't get that tight, compact, sleek feel you should be getting from having a compact and sleek iPod.

What I did like was the belt clip - best I've ever used. Incredibly secure, yet still easy to switch between clipped on my belt and in my hand.

The Exo2 gathers dust like there's no tomorrow, and it's sometimes difficult to push the buttons, but overall I think it's better. It does protect the iPod pretty well from anything except a high fall. Desensitizing the buttons actually makes it a bit easier to use because the buttons are so easy to press normally. It looks really cool, and it's nearly as sleek as a naked iPod. Oh, the included belt clip is utter crap, it broke within a few minutes of me unpacking the thing. But I just put it in my pocket.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 02:12 PM

I have the Marware case. The clip on the case broke within a week, and I wasn't even using it (although I did have the belt clip attached). Clip is made of plastic...

It tends to slide a little, so the buttons are partially covered by the case. You can slide it back, although it is a little difficult because of the rubber in the case creating friction with the iPod.

The opening on the bottom for the dock connector is a little tight, but I can plug it into the cable without removing the case.

Overall, though, I like the case, and I think it provides good protection for the iPod. I dropped it onto concrete once from about 3 feet and had no visible signs of impact.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I was very interested in the iSkin exo2... until I realized it wasn't for the second generation iPods.
Wah?

They have iSkins for the older iPods as well. I have one on my 20 GB right now.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 05:37 PM

for iSee - if you have an 2. generation iPod, this case is great. have had mine about a year, and I love it. It have protected my iPod several times, when falling out of my pocket/jacket/bag and onto the asphalt.
It makes the iPod a bit more chunkey, but it's not much.
I would recomend it to everyone...

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 05:38 PM

Looking for a great armband case? I just bought this one:

Comes with a belt clip too, but I only use it for the gym. The front face is soft bendable rubber, and has a cushion back. Nice case.

I ordered this one only becasue xtrememac's sportwrap is not yet available (due to ship in 3-4 weeks).

threestain
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 12:05 PM

Am just waiting on my hideously coloured glo in the dark iskin to arrive - any week now. Damn air mail!

threestain
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 08:12 AM

Right I have my glo-iskin. How do people attach it to a belt or stuff? Its got a loop on one side - is that strong enough?

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
Right I have my glo-iskin. How do people attach it to a belt or stuff? Its got a loop on one side - is that strong enough?
Actually mine came with a detachable clip, which goes on the back.

Didn't yours?

Adopt-A-Yankee

ericdelangen
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 08:23 PM

I bought my case at the apple store, it's an incase. It's more like a leather sleave, but it has a hole for the dock connector at the bottom that makes it infinitely more useful than the sleave that came with it.

threestain
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 09:28 AM

no cos mine is an old ipod and so I get an old iskin that doesn't have a screen protector or a belt clip. Not really an issue as I don't use it that often - just might occaisionally come in handy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules