Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > OSX and Win XP network problem...

OSX and Win XP network problem...
Reddleader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2003, 04:31 PM

Hello,

I am trying to network my ibook 500 with 10.1.5 to network to my windows xp home edition and I cannot remember what to do in the address field under the "connect to server" My shared folder under XP is called "shareddocs" and I have sharing enabled on it, as well as the ibook. I am using an ethernet cable. I have done this seveal months ago, so I know it works. I have typed in these addresses with no success: cifs://windows/shareddocs and smb://windows/shareddocs and smb://cifs.windows/shareddocs I very frustraited and I even tried using Apples knowledge base and they said try this one: smb://windows/shareddocs They even said that you could subsitute the windows name with the windows ip address, which I tried. The ip on the XP is 192.168.0.2. PLEASE HELP! My email is [email protected] if you want to email me ideas.
Good day

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 11:45 PM

Hmm, When I networked my vaio, it was important that I kept the winxp machine with the same name I've always used. And also, I think the name of your directory that is shared must be exactly as you type it...

The example from apple knowledge base should work.

Just make sure you're typing it all the same. I think it's all case sensitive.

if it still doesn't work, are you sure they're both connected to your network? That's all I can think of right now.

Oh yeah, are you doing this through a router or are you connecting directly to the winxp computer with an ethernet cable?

Reddleader  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by MikeD:
Hmm, When I networked my vaio, it was important that I kept the winxp machine with the same name I've always used. And also, I think the name of your directory that is shared must be exactly as you type it...

The example from apple knowledge base should work.

Just make sure you're typing it all the same. I think it's all case sensitive.

if it still doesn't work, are you sure they're both connected to your network? That's all I can think of right now.

Oh yeah, are you doing this through a router or are you connecting directly to the winxp computer with an ethernet cable?
Hi Mike,
Thanks for responding, I have them connected directly with an ethernet, (no router). I will retry my address. Also, I think the xp machine knows that somethng is hooked up because if I just unplug one end of the cable, XP will give a message. Funny thing is, I don't get a drive to mount on the XP or the Ibook either. When I had succsess, The ibook would get XPs drive to mount.
Good day

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Reddleader:
Hi Mike,
Thanks for responding, I have them connected directly with an ethernet, (no router). I will retry my address. Also, I think the xp machine knows that somethng is hooked up because if I just unplug one end of the cable, XP will give a message. Funny thing is, I don't get a drive to mount on the XP or the Ibook either. When I had succsess, The ibook would get XPs drive to mount.
By "connected directly with an ethernet," do you mean a cable directly between the two computers' network cards? If so, is it a crossover cable? It's gotta be in this configuration...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2003, 09:52 AM

smb://<workgroup>;<computername>/<sharename>

or

smb://<workgroup>;<ipaddress>/<sharename>

Windows love workgroups - default is WORKGROUP normally

Have fun.

PS 10.2.3 works a _lot_ better with windows than earlier 10s
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
By "connected directly with an ethernet," do you mean a cable directly between the two computers' network cards? If so, is it a crossover cable? It's gotta be in this configuration...
I was thinking the exact same thing...

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 06:04 AM

Upon re-reading the original post, it occurs to me that the only difference that I have heard about between XP Home and XP Pro is 'XP Pro does networking'. I have no evidence to support this (I only have access to XP Pro), but it may be that you can't network XP Home - therefore this effort is doomed.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by christ:
Upon re-reading the original post, it occurs to me that the only difference that I have heard about between XP Home and XP Pro is 'XP Pro does networking'. I have no evidence to support this (I only have access to XP Pro), but it may be that you can't network XP Home - therefore this effort is doomed.
Actually the difference is that Pro allows a computer to join a domain, while Home does not. You can set up a home network with Home very easily-there's a 'wizard' to walk you through it. What Redleader is trying to do is well within the capabilities of XP Home.

I still think he's using a straight through cable to connect his computers, and that won't work.

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
Actually the difference is that Pro allows a computer to join a domain, while Home does not... <snip>...
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Does XP Home still insist on Workgroups?
Chris. T.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by christ:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Does XP Home still insist on Workgroups?
Yes, that's MS networking's only alternative to domains, but really all it is is a name for a peer network group-it allows multiple peer groups on the same physical LAN. Of course it also makes things a little sticky when networking with other platforms.

Forum Links
Forum Rules