Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > hi quality 2d animation software ?

hi quality 2d animation software ?
pogoartist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 08:48 AM

Any suggestions for software for making hi quality (broadcast) 2d animation? I read somewhere that Maxon 4d is alright....any suggestions?

regards

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 11:08 AM

Cinema is a 3D application, unless I just totally don't understand what you are asking. Maya, Cinema and Lightwave are generally considered to be top of the line, but to be honest, it's all dependent on your skills. I've seen better stuff come out of people using the free wings3d than some moron that stole themselves a copy of Lightwave or Maya.

vanwyklr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 12:45 PM

maya, lightwave and cinema are all 3d animation apps (maya being my fav)... if your looking for 2d look at commotion or flash (i prefur commotion).

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 06:17 PM

all the aforementioned are 3d, however, you can do cell shading to get the cartoon look on all of them.

flash, toon boom studio are two that come tomine for strict 2d animation. I think toon boom has a resolution limit on how big you can make the cartoon. It has a high end alternative on the website, US Animation I think.

digi-j
Apr 3, 2003, 02:40 PM

Adobe After Effects is often used for animation, but not many people know that. It has great parenting features for attaching parts of a character together.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by digi-j:
Adobe After Effects is often used for animation, but not many people know that. It has great parenting features for attaching parts of a character together.
After Effects is the most powerful animation software that is easy to use that i have come across so far. it can do simple stuff, and 3d is getting incorporated nicely with each update. i would definately try a demo of After effects first, and make sure you understand keyframes first and foremost, that way you can really start using it with total control! good luck
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules