Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which powerbook?

Which powerbook?
goth895
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 04:11 PM

Hey all-

I'm getting ready for college, and need a laptop for college. My college offers both the 12 inch Al and 15 inch Ti powerbooks. Which would you think would be a better deal, or should I put off this decision as long as possible and hope for updates to the powerbook line?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by goth895:
Hey all-

I'm getting ready for college, and need a laptop for college. My college offers both the 12 inch Al and 15 inch Ti powerbooks. Which would you think would be a better deal, or should I put off this decision as long as possible and hope for updates to the powerbook line?

even though there are 1000 threads on this
i'll humor the question because i'm in a good mood

If you are going to be lugging it around constantly between class, back to dorn, on trips home etc i would suggest the 12". I had a Ti and it was a fine machine...but I LOVE my 12" it just feels more durable, and overall like it can take the "beating" of transportation.

If you absolutly need the 1Ghz...you can go w/ the Ti, but an 867 12" is absolutly plenty fast for my needs! hope that helps.

Also, if you are not going to be doing photohop, iMovie, or FCP (light or heavy) if you arn't going to be doing it...look into an iBook. The new ones are INCREDIBLY fast, and run OSX wonderfully. and with Panther on the way i can vouge that if a 500iBook runs faster with Panther then w/ Jag...check into it, you might save some cash for other things like iPods or accessories !

also, don't make the final purchase until right before school...when i got my Ti for college, i got it in May and as SOON as i got to school there were updates...so do wait to purchase...

enjoy and good luck in school

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 12:13 AM

I suggest getting the 12" and an external screen. I've got myself a 15" Sony TFT for little money and love the combination. Ample monitor space at home and ultra portability when not.

The 12" seems amazingly durable and sturdy. The keyboard alone is worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules