Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What would make you buy a new PowerBook?

What would make you buy a new PowerBook?
TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 10:52 AM

...or what features would you like to see in the next set of Revs?

Since the G5 is out, it would be nice to see at least a 1.7ghz G4.

What I'd really like would be a dual-layer DVD burner - any idea if there are any slot loading models yet?

How about a higher screen resolution? I know a lot of people don't agree with me here, but I had no problem with the iBooks 1024x768 12" screen. If it would lead to more desktop space I'd be fine with it.

Longer battery life would be good - it seems like third parties are already making higher capacity batteries.

Just a few ideas. What would you like to see?

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2004, 12:07 PM

In the future I would like to see something like this:
* 12 or 13" Widescreen.
* G5 processor.
* Dual-layer DVD burner.
* 2GB or more memory.
* Gbit LAN.
* FireWire 800.
* Backlight keyboard.

But I would be pleased with an 15" PowerBook G5 with todays features as well!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 12:08 PM

Dual 1.6 G4s

Backlit keyboard on the 12 inch!
iamwhor3hay

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 12:18 PM

I've been wrestling with this. My TiBook/667/DVI is still great but I've been itching for an upgrade. I'd like to see something to really justify the upgrade money but all I've heard are rumors about G5-this and dual-core-that. I think I'll wait for Tiger and see if I actually need an upgrade.

If I decide to go with a 12" model I would like gigabit Ethernet as I transfer big files from my Mac to my PC quite a bit.

Voch

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 12:37 PM

1. G5 processor.
2. Slimmer enclosure for the 12".
3. No ugly plastic trim.

As a die-hard Bluetooth user, I have no use for two USB ports. I also intend to upgrade to a high-speed EDGE GSM phone which will render the internal 56k modem obsolete.

I'd like to see Apple eliminate the internal modem and one of the USB ports and replace them with an SD card slot.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2004, 01:10 PM

No new Powerbook here until the dual-core G4 or G5 (the former is more likely IMO).

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 6, 2004, 01:38 PM

I�ve thought about upgrading to a Rev. C 17 (from Rev A).
But there`s nothing my trusted BigAl can`t handle.
A G5 on the other hand is another matter.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

NemesisEG
Sep 6, 2004, 01:48 PM

At the moment I'm happy with my new 1.33 15" PB.

I upgraded from an iMac 800, so this thing is quite a step up. Airport Extreme, 64MB video (CoD and NWN play perfectly) and portability.

Will a G5 help me? Maybe for some VPC stuff, but that's all. I'm more than happy with the unit I'm using at the moment, I can't fault it.

That doesn't mean I won't lust after the new model if it comes out, however. ;-)

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2004, 03:48 PM

Either:
- Dual 1GHz G4 17"(still a lot faster than 1.5GHz single)
Or:
- Small little 12" replacement, flat (1" or less) with higher screen res (what about 1280x854 at same dpi as current 12", say 13.3" widescreen) and no optical drive (external FW-drive will do) and about 1 - 1.5 lbs less weight!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 03:51 PM

significant upgrade to my rev c 12inch

sweet design and profile (if they change this baby .. it better be a goooood change..)

backlit buttons are nice

a revision B or C

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Jadey
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 04:01 PM

G5 CPU and faster video card on the 12" Superdrive model. Yes, I realize I'll be waiting a while, but I've only had this current laptop about 1/2 year. Still, I will upgrade when that comes out.

tigas
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 08:08 PM

Until the logic board of my Pismo dies, everything in this baby can be swapped.

LCD? Got a black line of pixels, got swapped. (by me - one hour)
Hard disk? Too noisy and small, swapped. (2 minutes)
CD-drive died? DVD-R burner in. (5 minutes)
CPU slow? Will replace. (Next month!)
Battery old? Will replace too. (with CPU)

Nope, nothing Apple can come up with can make me abandon my current PowerBook. That's why they've killed the line.

*however*, if my Pismo eventually dies, I'll get a 17" lapzilla.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 10:56 PM

given that my current powerbook is a dead lombard 333 i think i'll buy whatever apple releases in the next revision of the lineup. not yet decided on small pbook vs. ibook -- having a g5 in a powerbook vs. g4 in ibook, should that come to being, would only complicate my decision... after all, my quicksilver 800 still is sufficient for my needs and it's not like i'd be compiling software 24/7 on the laptop.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2004, 02:06 AM

I'll get a brand new Powerbook as soon as my wife goes back to work full time. There just ain't nothing else that's going to do it for me. I'm stuck on a DVI 667 until then.

PeteWK

8minute
Sep 7, 2004, 09:15 AM

I'd seriously consider upgrading if the next revision of the 12" PB had all of the following:

- 1280 x 1024 LCD resolution (Prolly go blind looking at it )
- LCD brightness on par with the 15" & 17" PB
- 1.5 GHz G4
- 128Mb GPU
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Firewire 800
- Backlit Keyboard
- Longer Battery Life
- 1" thick

Then again ... I might as well get a 15" PB if I wanted all that now .. heh

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2004, 09:37 AM

I've got a rev B 12" 1GHz PowerBook and since I'm a real sucker for these small PowerBooks I'll probably buy whatever Steve comes up with as rev D. The only thing keeping me back would be a G5 PowerBook or some other radical change. I'd probably hold back to let others do the rev A testing...

But here's what I'd really like to see:

1) > 1.5GHz G4 (the rumored "RM" version with true DDR support)
2) 9800 mobility GPU with 128MB DDR (at least as BTO)
3) LCD brightness and viewing angle on par with the 15" & 17" PB
4) > 50% increase in battery life
5) a more quiet fan
6) a case that gets less hot
7) dual layer slot-loading DVD burner
8) FW800
9) some kind of proprietary connector (on the bottom of the PowerBook) that feeds all i/o to a docking station (like the old Duo Dock) or a port replicator. It would be nice if this connector were concealed and would only emerge when the PowerBook is attached to the docking station

I think points 1 & 2 have to happen in order to justify a new revision. 3 should be possible. 4, 5 and 6 would be really nice, although I doubt they are technically possible. 7 and 8 would be nice-to-have's but are not really necessary. 9 would be awesome and cater to those many PowerBook users who want to use their PowerBook exclusively (also as a desktop replacement). I think this is just the kind of thing the Apple design team can come up with and show the rest of the indusrty how it ought to be done.
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 7, 2004 at 09:44 AM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 10:13 AM

lots of good ideas in this thread...

love my revC 12", but would like:

less heat!! (sent out the back??)
better screen (my girlfriend's 15" alBook is better)
backlit keyboard (only thing i envy on her pb)

thinner enclosure
better battery life

cheaper?? (ha!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 10:21 AM

It would have to be much faster then my current 1.5Ghz 15" pb. I am talking around 4-10 times faster.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 11:37 AM

the 12 inch PB going that fast in such a little package will always be quite hot.
iamwhor3hay

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 12:25 PM

I really dont think a 1.8 Ghz with 400 FSB and a 256 VRAM chip is asking too much. Add only a 80 or 100 Gig 7200 RPM HD and the ability to watch TV, s-video in and I will be happy. After all, if these guys are doing even more right now why can't Apple?

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...oductType=8790

I'm not even hoping for a G5 to be realistic.
But noooo...you have to wait at least 3 more revisions for something like that.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
I really dont think a 1.8 Ghz with 400 FSB and a 256 VRAM chip is asking too much. Add only a 80 or 100 Gig 7200 RPM HD and the ability to watch TV, s-video in and I will be happy. After all, if these guys are doing even more right now why can't Apple?

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...oductType=8790

I'm not even hoping for a G5 to be realistic.
But noooo...you have to wait at least 3 more revisions for something like that.
Would you be willing to carry 10.5 pounds+AC adapter around? Battery life is probably horrible too.
iamwhor3hay

8minute
Sep 7, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
lots of good ideas in this thread...

love my revC 12", but would like:

less heat!! (sent out the back??)
better screen (my girlfriend's 15" alBook is better)
backlit keyboard (only thing i envy on her pb)

thinner enclosure
better battery life

cheaper?? (ha!)

hahahaha .. cheaper - now that's something I forgot to put on my list!

LiquidSnake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 08:56 PM

Slightly bigger screen Maybe a 18/19 inch? (I love the Sony's new laptop screen's they are better than powerbook screen's)
Click here to visit my photo's
PowerMac G5Dual 2.0-2 GbRam& 160&400 HDD
MacBook Pro 17 inch Glossy 2 gig Ram
PowerBook 12 inch 1 ghz 768 MbRam
Sony VGA-A270 17 inch wuxga 1gbRam Radeon9700

OMGWTFBBQ
Sep 10, 2004, 01:46 PM

Higher resolution for certain.

I don't care about processor speed - my 15" 1.25GHz is fast enough for essentially everything I do. The only things that I work on that need to be much faster are computational tasks that I wouldn't do on any laptop as it is - so I SSH into a server and do then there.
That said - the processor runs hot even at that speed. I would like a processor that runs at least this fast - but much cooler (ideally with no fans and no weird sounds coming from the hot chips).

I love the case, I love the keyboard (although I would prefer the "fn" button and the "ctrl" button to be swapped since I like to have "ctrl" be the first thing my pinky hits for faster emacs usage), I rarely use it without being plugged in so battery life doesn't bother me much.
I still only have about 40GB of data on my 80GB drive, so I don't really foresee wanting/needing a larger drive.

I put in 2GB of RAM and it is perfect, but it runs hotter with that in - so it would be nice to have that much RAM, but again like the CPU run cooler.

The way the power cord plugs into the unit is weak. It is too easy to knock it and do permanent damage - which is a very bad thing since that is how it gets its power and therefore won't work (long) without that.

I don't mind the plastic bindings, and I even kind of like that the aluminum pits from the wear and tear of my hands/sweat on them - it shows it is used a lot and I like that.

I wish the top closed with multiple latches (I have heard that the 17" does this) that are further apart so that the top doesn't warp as much.

I really hope they don't change the keyboard (other than the "fn" key, which I know isn't going to change anyway).
The feel (press response) and size of it is just right.

I don't use the PCMCIA card slot on it ever, so is just something I fiddle with when reading something on screen - it would be fine with me if they got rid of that and its associated hardware.
I can't think of a single thing I would use that for since everything I need is already built in, and anything I would temporarily connect would be via USB or FireWire.
(although if the wireless, ethernet, and modem all died, then I could use the PCMCIA card slot for a network connection like I had to on my old PC laptop).

Other than that, I think the unit is perfect for me and what I need. I love the wireless and Bluetooth, fast USB 2.0, Firewire 400/800, gigabit ethernet and everything else.

Filburt
Sep 10, 2004, 04:00 PM

I have an aging (and cosmetically worn out) 15-inch PowerBook G4 667 MHz (with combo drive).

My must have items:
- Higher resolution LCD, either standard or built-to-order option (if Tiger enables resolution scaling for PowerBook, standard would be the way to go). Choices: 12.1" or 13.3" widescreen LCD (1280x800), 15.4" widescreen LCD (1280x800 and 1680x1050), and 17" widescreen LCD (1440x900 and 1920x1200).
- Dual-core G4 or G5.
- 400 MHz or faster FSB.
- Long battery life. At least 4 hours of battery life under typical use with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled.
- Standard 5400 rpm hard disk, built-to-order 7200 rpm.
- Bluetooth 1.2.
- Backlight keyboard and FW800 on 12-inch PowerBook.

My nice to have items:
- SATA hard disk for lower power consumption and cleaner design.
- Dual layer DVD burning and DVD+R and DVD+RW compatibility.
- 802.11a.
- Digital audio input and output.
- Optional docking station.
- TablePC-like swivable LCD (much nicer to look at when hooking it up to external keyboard and mouse).
- 3 or 4 memory slots on 17-inch PowerBook.

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 04:09 PM

I don't now...I'm pretty happy with my Ti 867. Maybe a new model with a 23" HD WS display and DTS 6.1 sound could woo me away from my current PB. Oh, and it would need to have a retractable screen so as to take up no more space in my bag than my 15.4" TiBook, and of course it would have to have self deploying collapsing wireless speakers.

Caiwyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 04:27 PM

Reassurance that a new processor won't be available within the next three months.

I would buy a powerbook right now were it not for the speculation that the dual-core G4 (expected from Freescale in October) might be available in a powerbook by the end of the year. As it stands, I'm waiting. If Apple were to publicly nix the dual-core G4 powerbook rumors just like they did with the G5 powerbook rumors, I would go out and buy a current model ASAP.

JeffHarris
Sep 10, 2004, 04:53 PM

I've been quite happy with my 2002 1ghz TiBook.
Though, I wish the damn DVD burner were reliable. If it would play DVDs when I want it to play, too!

Dream list? Let's see...

Since I do lots of VectorWorks CAD, 3D modeling/rendering and Photoshop work, I'd LOVE to see a Mobile Radeon 9800 with 128MB VRAM.
If there's a faster mobile video processor out there, I'll take it!

The Freescale dual-core G4s sound amazing... and DOable in my lifetime.
I fear it will be at least a year before we see a G5 PowerBook, probably longer.

Maybe when IBM gets G5s down to .065nm processors, with lower heat output and power hunger we'll see them.
Until then, the G4 dualies sound like the best bet for serious processing power.
I'd even consider getting a 17" over my beloved 15" if duals came only in that form factor.

Faster system bus.
Bigger, faster L2 cache.
Bring back the L3 cache!

Better Airport range and signal strength.

I'd prefer some of the ports in the back rather than on the sides.
Maybe DVI, S-Video, FireWire and a USB port.
Keep the PC Card slot. It IS extremely useful!

End of fantasy...

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 05:02 PM

There are TWO things I'd like to see in new Powerbooks, both equally weighted:

HIGHER SCREEN RESOLUTION
G5 PROCESSOR

If Apple incorporated those two features in, I think the PowerBooks would be pretty close to perfect.

I'd also like to see some of the more high-end features (FireWire 800, gigabit ethernet, backlit keyboard) filter down into the 12" model. I think the only difference between the three different sizes of PowerBook should be size, not features or performance - iBook vs. PowerBook should differentiate features and performance.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Riemann Zeta
Sep 10, 2004, 07:10 PM

I think a good prediction for the new PBs would be:

12" Model

1.5 GHz Low-Voltage G4
ATi Radeon Mobility 9200 64 MB or same NVIDIA card
5400 RPM Hard Drive
Better battery, cooling

15" / 17" Model

1.83 GHz Low-Voltage G4
Real DDR Bus? (wishful thinking?)
ATi Radeon Mobility 9800 128 MB
5400 or 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Better battery, cooling
God is just a statistic...

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2004, 01:13 AM

Something not currently present I'd like to see:

* Optical audio output

Either a standard TOSLink output or the mini 'combo' output featured in the iMac G5 and AirPort Express.

8minute
Sep 11, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ:

I love the case, I love the keyboard (although I would prefer the "fn" button and the "ctrl" button to be swapped since I like to have "ctrl" be the first thing my pinky hits for faster emacs usage), I rarely use it without being plugged in so battery life doesn't bother me much.
You should download a freeware proggie called uControl ... it will let you swap the fn and cntrl keys around: http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol

NeutronMonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 02:35 PM

all the usual stuff...like CPU, buss, cache, video and screen upgrades. I agree that the 12" should have all the goodies that the other two have...

Now, what they don't have now that I would like to see:

An external antenna connector for the Airport card- or maybe some sort of slide up antenna on the side of the screen.

Two GigE ports

Digital audio out

A keyboard for the 17" that includes a numeric key pad

Those are most important for me...
( Last edited by NeutronMonk; Sep 11, 2004 at 07:40 PM. )

gioele
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 03:27 PM

All I really want (aside a longer battery performance) is an ATI 9800 with 64 MB (128MB BTO) in the 12" PowerBook.

OSX Tiger is going to be greedy on the GPU, so the very old nvidia card that is provided will fastly become the main source of video slowdown. I don't want to be stuck on Pather.

NeutronMonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 05:47 PM

Oh, and a trackpad with three buttons and a scroll function!

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Caiwyn:
Reassurance that a new processor won't be available within the next three months.

I would buy a powerbook right now were it not for the speculation that the dual-core G4 (expected from Freescale in October) might be available in a powerbook by the end of the year. As it stands, I'm waiting. If Apple were to publicly nix the dual-core G4 powerbook rumors just like they did with the G5 powerbook rumors, I would go out and buy a current model ASAP.
ditto. i'm gonna try to wait until Jan - i assume, if nothing else, we'll see an incremental update then, if nothing a dual core or something like that.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 01:09 AM

I already want a 17", but here ya go:

(In this order)
1. Radeon 9800 mobile. - it's WAY better than the 9700 and would make the 17" pb the ultimate gaming laptop
2. Higher res screen. 1920x1200 would be da ****.
3. 7200RPM hard drives. They were available before, bring them back! If I'm going to spend money to upgrade the drive it better be fast, not a puny 5400.
4. 1.7+ghz G4 processor.. best memory bus possible to go with it if anything...
5. SD card slot (fastest flash storage), CF can be done through an adaptor
6. Better battery life (it's easily possible!)
7. Dual layer DVD burner
8. *BETTER SPEAKERS!* come now, the 17" has a TON of empty space, possibly enough to at least stick a second set, or maybe even woofer speakers in that sucker. Sheesh... that'd be nice.
9. Brighter keyboard backlight
10. Said docking jack
11. (if not already present) stereo microphones, similar to how they were implemented on the isight since well.. it's 2004 ya know? I think they might have already done this but just in case.

A few software improvements:
1. Aggresive vs conservative cooling profiles: What I mean by this would be to give the user the ability to either use the standard cooling settings (which cool the machine but don't go loud), or use more aggresive settings for those days when you just don't want the palm rest area getting hot -- this could be a nice feature.
2. Manual keyboard backlight control

Yeah, there's a lot of ways they could improve the line, and many of these could easily apply to ALL the powerbooks.

On the 12": toss in the keyboard backlight, 1280x1024 screen, etc...

Yeah I think that's about it
Aloha

Alexander1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 11:10 AM

20" PowerBook.

Not joking.

nate_02
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 05:10 PM

winning the lottery
-nate

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2004, 01:11 AM

Short answer: revision B, PowerBook G5!

My 1 GHz Titanium gives me everything that I need until then - I'll expect my next 'Book to have faster DVD burning, a kick-ass graphics chip with at least 128 (hopefully 256) MB vram, and 7200RPM harddrive, with at least 80GB size, but hopefully 100 by then. Also, I hope that Apple puts some higher resolution, brighter screens on them!

I'm hoping it's here (rev. B, mind you!) by Christmas 2005, which will have given me 3 good years with the ol' Titanium!

iBorg

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 11:47 AM

Two to three more Rev's, or something too good to pass up (ie. non crippled G5 or dual core G4 at high clock speed).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 02:13 PM

for it to come out soon and ship that day.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 03:32 PM

I wouldn't buy a PowerBook (or any laptop, for that matter) unless my job or school deemed it an absolute necessity.

However, here's the things I think should be in a PowerBook which aren't:

1) Numerical Keypad on the 17". The 17" Wintel books have them, and it makes sense.

2) ANYTHING other than a trackpad.

3) Better hinges?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 05:24 PM

What's wrong with the trackpad? I think maybe Apple should start shipping mice with two buttons and trackpads for that matter, but I know for a fact that I'd rather use a trackpad over the nipple or trackball, am I the only one here who thinks so?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 05:48 PM

just personal preference, really. trackpads + me = bad.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

SafariX
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 06:15 PM

Higher res screen, faster CPU, backlit KB standard on the 15.

I would love to replace my 667 DVI.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
What's wrong with the trackpad? I think maybe Apple should start shipping mice with two buttons and trackpads for that matter, but I know for a fact that I'd rather use a trackpad over the nipple or trackball, am I the only one here who thinks so?
I suppose not, but just because apple provides a trackpad doesn't mean that has to be all they provide! It'd be cool if they at least made an optional keyboard that had a trackpoint

There's only 2 problems with trackpoints: 1. You have to get the tension/sensitivity *JUST* right or it's gonna suck, and 2. Most laptop makers forget to recess it a little and this ends up with a white spot on the screen.
Aloha

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 11:21 PM

Since we're dreaming:

15" OLED Display
Dual core G5 (G6?) Processor
del Key
256MB Mobile x800
16x DL +/- DVD
Multicolor Illuminated Keyboard (can sync with iTunes visualizer)
Something that works better than a f*cking trackpad (some type of laser tracking? I don't know. I miss trackballs.)
ProLogic 3.1 Surround sound (stereo, plus center at top of screen, and sub underneath.)

meem
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2004, 02:57 AM

Illuminated keyboard with the ability to display a laser light show on my ceiling.

Double door In front of the display which acts to extend monitor left and right while keeping it compact while closed

telescoping airport dish like R2D2 (I think he had one in A New Hope)

A touch sensitive (like 3g iPod buttons or trackpad) number pad on the right side of trackpad which has an on off fuction key on the main keyboard

and more reasonably but no more likely - the ports returned to the back and display hinge like the TiBook (its great how wide it opens as i often find myself using my TiBook while standing)

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 07:16 PM

Apple should do something a little more to widen the gap between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook.

One way would be to have a12.1" widescreen with a little more pixel density.

Dell has the Inspiron 700M which supposedly sports a 12.1" widescreen with a higher resolution than 1024 x 768. I can't remember exactly the specs but it was definitely higher. In any case, these screens have the option of downscaling to a lower resolution.

Otherwise, my Rev. A 12" works well enough until I find a program that I will use that will require more than 867 Mhz.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Sep 16, 2004 at 07:23 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules