Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can I modify an iCal calendar from another machine ?

Can I modify an iCal calendar from another machine ?
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 06:36 PM

I have my iCal on my iMac at home. I have it set up so that my wife and I can access the same calendar from our separate accounts on the computer.

I also have the calendar published so I can read it at work which works well. Now I would like to be able to not only read it but also modify it from work. Is there a way to do that through .Mac maybe? (I finally got an OS X machine at work).

Thanks a lot for any help.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 07:05 PM

not yet (short of somehow logging onto your machine at home and changing the calendar remotely). But I believe you'll be able to do this with the version of iCal that will come with Tiger.
cpac

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
But I believe you'll be able to do this with the version of iCal that will come with Tiger.
Is this true? Can you say more?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 07:42 AM

You can. Mozilla has a calendar app that supports the .ics format and will allow you to import and edit the calendars.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by philm:
Is this true? Can you say more?
I'm just going based on reports/screenshots that appeared on rumor sites - I can't confirm any of it unfortunately.

I will say I think it's probably the single most requested feature, and I'd be surprised if they didn't add some sort of solution to the Tiger version.
cpac

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 09:34 AM

Thanks very much, all.

OptimusG4. Where do I find this Mozilla calendar app? I sdon't see it in my "regular" mozilla. And once you edit it, how do you store the edited calendar back in its original location?

Thank you.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 12:26 PM

Calendar: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

I think there is an option to republish the calendar using FTP or .Mac or webdav settings. Not sure, I'm at work and can't test, sorry.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2004, 04:23 PM

I just thought of a possible easy solution...

What if I publish my main iCal calendar from home and subscribe to it at work. So all changes from home will be visible at work. Then I also publish one at work with all the stuff I add from here. At home I subscribe to that one with automatic updates of course.

So now I can add stuff either at home or at work and it will be visible in both places as long as both "layers" are turned on of course. The only thing I can't do is edit the "other" calendar.

That would get me most of what I need...

Any reason this shoudln't work?

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 06:24 PM

This will work precisely as you describe. It's something of a workaround, though, rather than an ideal situation.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 07:26 AM

Is good if you have a mac for work!

Was looking at this exact problem yesterday as have published my calendar through .mac/isync at home, but as i use windoze at the office, i can't find a way of changing it and synching.

If u can access your .mac idisk on a windows machine by downloading idisk utility for windows, surely they can do sort something similar for iCal??

Forum Links
Forum Rules