Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How Far Will My 12inch 867 Powerbook Go?

How Far Will My 12inch 867 Powerbook Go?
PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2005, 03:33 AM

We recently bought a 20 inch iMac and got rid of our 667 DVI Powerbook leaving my wife as the primary user of our Generation-1 867 12 inch Powerbook.

The specs are stock except for the Airport Extreme and an upgrade to 640 mb of ram (most available at the time). My question is how far will this little Powerbook go performance wise? Will it be worth it to upgrade the ram to the 1024 + 128 max and put a 7200 rpm hard drive in it or will that just be putting good money after bad at this point? Her computing needs aren't extreme and when she needs the horsepower she uses the iMac anyway. I'm the kind of guy who likes to upgrade all of the house's computers to their limits but I'm not so sure with this one. So WDYT?

PeteWK

Seb G
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2005, 03:53 AM

You'll notice a difference if you get the 7200 rpm hard drive - especially when booting up and launching applications (got the same machine, 7200rpm hard drive and 640MB RAM). The processor is enough for things like word processing, email, internet, iTunes, handling digital images (Photoshop got a lot more responsive with the new drive), etc. However battery life seems to be a bit shorter due to the faster drive.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 04:03 AM

Given that you had a 667 you should have a rough idea about performance. Depending on the specs of the Ti you should expect something a bit better, though I would not say you will see too much of a difference.

Just give it time and see how it pans out. If battery life is important then I would go down the HD replacement route as 640MB is enough for most users.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 04:05 AM

What does she use it for?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 11:52 AM

i do prepress work on a single 867mhz Powermac with 1.5gb of RAM...it might be a lil faster due to the faster speed HD and better GPU and more RAM, but hardly anything noticeable. your pb should be just dandy for her needs...and even dandier if you up the RAM and HD.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

allensis
Jun 28, 2005, 06:01 PM

Where can I get a 7200rpm drive for my Rev 1 pb12"?

I suspect my 60g (5400) is failing.

thanks.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 10:01 AM

OWC has them. Not cheap though.
Agent69

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 10:03 AM

if i were you i would just sell the old powerbook and use the money you wre going to use for upgrades for a new or refurbished pbk

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2005, 12:00 PM

I'd upgrade the RAM with a 1G stick -- it'll be well worth it, runs ~$125, and will add to the resale value, too.

The hard drive best value is 5400 rpm, 80 or 100 GB. The 7200 is not that much an improvement in performance, and it's twice as expensive (if you can find it). If you don't need the HD space, the RAM is the best bet -- and then sell it later for a new machine next year.

allensis
Jun 29, 2005, 01:01 PM

Not bad, $80 for 1G. Any rumors about how long before the 2G is more reasonable in cost? Will the 2G work in a Rev. 1 Alum. 12" PB? Is this the right stuff...

http://dealram.com/prices/11/1GB.html?1,2

Yeah, I think I will stick with my 60G hard drive and just make more room on it.

Just upgraded to Tiger last night...Dashboard is cool!

joe

JasonBourne
Jul 3, 2005, 07:28 AM

I thought 12 867 powerbook use 200 pin for RAM or can I use 184 pin also with no problem? Dealram mostly posted 184 pin. Sorry for change of topic. I planning to upgrade my ram soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules