Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Palm Desktop Installation problems...

Palm Desktop Installation problems...
kisol007
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 12:58 AM

I just had a good friend make the big switch from the crappy world of Wintel to this glorious thing we call the Macintosh...

Well, his wife uses a Handspring Treo 90 for a lot of her Pharmasy stuff so I told him to install Palm Desktop and use iSync to start working... but it isnt' installing... so I came over and it doesn't install... I tried the latest and greatest version (4.2.1 I think) as well as the Treo specific on (4.0.2 or something...) but neither install...

Has anyone had this problem? I'm losing some serious face here so if anyone can help me out I would be thrilled... is there something I should be trying that I am not?

My friend is running a new G5 iMac...

Thanks everyone...

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 10:44 AM

I had the same problem several months ago. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact solution. Do a search on this forum and I'm relatively sure you'll find it. It has something to do with installing the software while being the root user, or something like that. I used the Pseudo software to accomplish this. (Look on version tracker.)

This is a known issue, I discovered when I had to deal with it. Oh -- also look on the Palm web site. That site is pretty helpful, too, especially when dealing with syncing via ical.

I do use my Palm and a Mac, and ical, so it can be done!

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 10:50 AM

Yep - you just have to install as root, which is definitely a pain in the @ss, but it works. Somebody should shoot palm for not updating their installer (it's only been a year or two).
cpac

kisol007  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 03:28 PM

What the ?!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Should have done a better search I guess....

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 01:07 PM

Did it work? Are you good to go? We always like it when Mac people can solve problems for PC converts!

allensis
Jul 7, 2005, 01:25 PM

Call me dumb, this whole unix OS X thing is beyond me, but exactly how do I install as the "ROOT" user?
---
PB12" Aluminum
867/640/60gig
OS X (10.4.1) Tiger
Treo 90 (Handspring Palm v 4.02)

Thanks,

joseph

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by kisol007
I just had a good friend make the big switch from the crappy world of Wintel to this glorious thing we call the Macintosh...

Well, his wife uses a Handspring Treo 90 for a lot of her Pharmasy stuff so I told him to install Palm Desktop and use iSync to start working... but it isnt' installing... so I came over and it doesn't install... I tried the latest and greatest version (4.2.1 I think) as well as the Treo specific on (4.0.2 or something...) but neither install...

Has anyone had this problem? I'm losing some serious face here so if anyone can help me out I would be thrilled... is there something I should be trying that I am not?

My friend is running a new G5 iMac...

Thanks everyone...
Unfortunately, Palm Desktop is a real piece of shite. I'd recommend, for sanity's sake, that you consider spend the $40 for "The Missing Sync" from MarkSpace:

http://www.markspace.com/

Install this, and then turn on "enable palm synchronization" in iSync.

Oh, if you install the app, you can use it for 14 days before you have to fork over the coin, so it's worth a shot trying before you pay.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 03:38 PM

i lost my tt3 isync capability yesterday.

after a lot of work (Including apple support),
i wiped my drive & reinstalled EVERYTHING.

i think there are problems with the latest palm desktop install;
it did not work for me.
going back to the previous version got me up & running

(isync would not see hotsync on the newer version)

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

allensis
Jul 8, 2005, 01:57 AM

So which 'previous' version did you install? And is available in dl or did you happen to have it already?

Thanks.

joseph

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 09:58 AM

I support a couple of users with Palms, and I've never had to run the installer as root, just from an Admistrative account. The brain dead Palm installer doesn't know to bring up an authentication dialog, so if a Standard user runs it, it tries to do it's thing, doesn't have permission to, and craps out on a stupid error.

Not sure what version that was, though.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 10:15 AM

I got it installed, but it quits unexpectedly as soon as it gets to syncing Memos.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by allensis
So which 'previous' version did you install? And is available in dl or did you happen to have it already?

Thanks.

joseph

am not at home, but think it's this one

(4.2.1 as opposed to 4.2.1revB)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

allensis
Jul 8, 2005, 12:24 PM

Again, how do I run the installer as 'root'?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by allensis
Again, how do I run the installer as 'root'?
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I think it was bad advice. Most installers make you authenticate, this gives admin access which is as good as root. I can't imagine the installer actually REQUIRING the root password... it would fail too many times.

That said, I still recommend you give up and go with the missing sync.

allensis
Jul 12, 2005, 02:50 AM

The installer just quits - unfinished and offers to quit or reinstall - gets to about 754 of 791 items.

Any suggestions?

allensis
Jul 12, 2005, 03:55 AM

I got it running. Thank goodness for the previous version from PALM (not Handspring!).

I installed 4.2.1 and it recognizes and syncs with my Treo90 just fine.

Yippee!

YuSa28
Jul 23, 2005, 01:31 AM

Hi ... From Argentina. I resolved the PALM DESKTOP INSTALLER 4.2.1 problem, installing all the package in my second computer (DON'T have the UPGRADE to TIGER 10.4.2 yet ), after that I copied (from EMAC) this 3 FOLDERS.... to my G5 (with 10.4.2):
PALM (in the app. folder) and I put in the same place in my G5.
and in the SYSTEM LIBRARY (not the user LIBRARY) Application Support > Palm HotSync and Palm Desktop to my SYSTEM LIBRARY > Application Support (Copy to the same place) (previously with APPLE + I (info of the folder) I change the permission to my user not system 2 times) AND in the SYSTEM LIBRARY > CFMSupport copy this "HotSync Libraries" and put in the same place on to your computer.... AND THEN run iSYNC and in the tab DEVICES .... use ENABLE PALM OS .... GOOD LUCK !!! WORKS FINE FOR ME !!!!

Sorry about my really bad INGLISH !!!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 23, 2005, 01:46 PM

The Palm Desktop 4.2.1 Rev B ditches the old installer and uses the Apple installer. It no longer suffers from the installation problems. (I just did this 2 days ago.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules