Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to reset a Mac back to its "new" state

How to reset a Mac back to its "new" state
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 12:17 PM

Hello all.

I got an iBook 12" a couple of weeks ago but my wife does not like the smaller screen. Since my vendor has a 30 day return policy, I will exchange it for a 14". I would like to reset everything to default. Fortunately I kept it all in brand new shape and I did not alter or install anything on it except for Pages. What is the easiest way to remove all preferences and personal settings and get it back to the original SetUp Assistant that comes when you first buy the computer? I want to do this without erasing the drive or re-installing the system if possible.

I tried a search but it is hard to find the right keywords for this operation. It would seem that Archive and Install with "Keep network preferences" UNchecked would work but I don't want a new folder called "Previous System" and, on top of that, I don't really need to re-install the system. I just want everything back to "new" level.

Thank you for any help.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 12:21 PM

Just use the system restore disk that came with your iBook, its the fastest and clean way to restore it to a "new" state.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2005, 12:22 PM

You really do have to clean install from the OS X disc if you want to restore the system to a like-new state.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules