Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Primer on Intel Chips

Primer on Intel Chips
Thunderbird
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 03:00 PM

Long time Mac guy, completely confused on Intel's product line up. Where does the Core Duo fit in? Is it better than a Pentium? Is it more like a Centrino? What is a Centrino? How fast is this chip compared to other Intel chips?

I don't see any Dell computers with the Core Duo. Does anybody else make a computer with similar specs to the new iMac?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 03:19 PM

Core Duo is the 'real' name of the chip previously codenamed 'Yonah'. It's a dual-core Pentium M. Previous generations of Pentium M processors were found in Centrino laptops. "Centrino" refers to the combination of the Pentium M processor and an Intel 802.11 wireless chipset and is purely a marketing term. Core Duo PC laptops, probably with the "Centrino" branding, will likely be available soon (if there aren't any already - I wouldn't be surprised if some were announced at CES).

quiklee
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 03:48 PM

Core Duo's will soon take over!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

sray
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbird
I don't see any Dell computers with the Core Duo. Does anybody else make a computer with similar specs to the new iMac?
Both Dell and Gateway have Core Duo laptops on their website for purchase. Acer has a family of Core Duo laptops out also.

Thunderbird  (op)
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by sray
Both Dell and Gateway have Core Duo laptops on their website for purchase. Acer has a family of Core Duo laptops out also.
I see on Gateway's website a Core Duo 1.66 Ghz for $1149. Is that the same chip that Apple is using?
http://www.gateway.com/products/gcon...510nb&clv=Btn1

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 04:32 PM

I see on Gateway's website a Core Duo 1.66 Ghz for $1149. Is that the same chip that Apple is using?
http://www.gateway.com/products/gcon...510nb&clv=Btn1
It's using the same processor but the other spec's are pretty.... abysmal.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 05:05 PM

Although I hate to defend other PC companies, the tech specs are not abysmal... they are quite a lot better than the current iBook (apart from design and OSX)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 10:34 PM

Long time Mac guy, completely confused on Intel's product line up. Where does the Core Duo fit in? Is it better than a Pentium? Is it more like a Centrino? What is a Centrino? How fast is this chip compared to other Intel chips?

Core Duo is Intel's new CPU aimed primarily at the portable and small form factor market (it may also make it into a limited number of blade servers, as the previous Pentium M did). For most things it's as good as or better than a Pentium 4/D. No, Centrino is not a chip. Centrino is a platform that includes a Pentium M or Core Solo/Duo CPU, Intel 915 or 945 chipset, and Intel Pro/Wireless (2200 [b/g] or 2915 [a/b/g]). Core Duo is fast despite it's relatively low clockrate; a 2Ghz Pentium M is about as fast as a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 (apply the same to dualcore products).

Dell has a couple Core Duo laptops, but they haven't put it in any of their small form factor desktops yet.

Thunderbird  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 12:53 PM

OK... I'm confused. Why was this thread moved to the lounge? I posted it in the iMac discussion board, and it was a question about the chips inside the new iMac. The lounge seems like a place for non-specific, non-computer related chat. I think the lounge is an inappropriate place to move this thread.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 02:24 AM

The lounge is open to all kinds of discussion. It's frequently used for computer-related topics. Furthermore, intel chips are also in the new MacBook Pro (pre-orders are being filed now) and will be in Apple's entire product line by the end of the year.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2006, 02:33 AM

I have a question. How much ram can you actually address on the core-duos? will the core-duos have the same abilities when it comes to addressing enormous amounts of ram??? Or are we going a step backwards in this regard?

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 02:37 AM

And if you want to know how wicked they perform check out this link Eug sent me:

http://www.macaddict.com/forums/topic/76536

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
I have a question. How much ram can you actually address on the core-duos? will the core-duos have the same abilities when it comes to addressing enormous amounts of ram??? Or are we going a step backwards in this regard?
Step back. Core Duos are 32 bit.

Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
And if you want to know how wicked they perform check out this link Eug sent me:

ouch. not good.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun

woah...ouch is right, how come?
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules