Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Defects by Week # ?

Defects by Week # ?
fox-orian
Jul 27, 2006, 12:08 AM

Hey, I just finally realized how to read the MacBook serial number.

I have a White MacBook week 24.
I'm wondering if a Week 24 macbook is in the clear for yellowing or not? I've had my macbook for 3 weeks [by exactly tomorrow.] It hasn't shown any signs of yellowing to my knowledge. No "mooing." No electronic whines. 78-79C max temperatures...
Does have a squishy trackbutton, sucessfully repaired with the paper wad...

Those of you who have experienced it, or other potential problems, what week is yours?

[in the case for those who don't know how to find / read serial numbers...
http://web.mac.com/jmmo20/iWeb/stain...ial%20no..html -- read.]

*edit::
Oh, I just realized that site actually lists the week numbers for those affected. I thought it was kept hidden.
Still, I'm curious about anyone around here.
( Last edited by fox-orian; Jul 27, 2006 at 12:27 AM. )

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 03:07 AM

I'm following these MacBook issues threads, because a friend of mine wants one asap (dying, ancient, problematic PC laptop user surrounded by problem-free Mac-using friends).

Expecting any potential WWDC announced Intel upgrades to be for the MacBook Pro first, my only pre-sale concerns are from these problem-threads. Hoping it's not too widespread an issue given the sales volume, I'd still like to get as "fresh" a build as possible as this is for a switcher who trusts my advice.

Thanks for the link to deciphering the serial number/build week. Shall I assume that this number will be on a label on the box somewhere?

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 27, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Briareus
I'm following these MacBook issues threads, because a friend of mine wants one asap (dying, ancient, problematic PC laptop user surrounded by problem-free Mac-using friends).

Expecting any potential WWDC announced Intel upgrades to be for the MacBook Pro first, my only pre-sale concerns are from these problem-threads. Hoping it's not too widespread an issue given the sales volume, I'd still like to get as "fresh" a build as possible as this is for a switcher who trusts my advice.

Thanks for the link to deciphering the serial number/build week. Shall I assume that this number will be on a label on the box somewhere?
Yeah, the number is on the bottom of the box and behind the battery as well.

Honestly, alot of the prior issues seem non existant now. I've never experienced the Mooing problem, and I still don't know what it actually sounded like. Ive never heard an inverter whine on any model I've touched, either, even in dead silence. The heat isnt even really an issue -- it's just there normally.

If you buy a MacBook now, you should EASILY be in the clear for yellowing. It got corrected some time ago. I'm just uncertain about my macbook because I bought it during the time Apple was making the changes in the factory. I wish I knew what the original / new bezel plastic feels like, that way I can determine it myself.

nickw311
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 07:53 AM

I have a week 25 and it has the yellowing. I think week 26 was the first with the new top cover.
27" iMac C2D

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 08:15 AM

According to the alleged Apple "callback" statement, weeks 17 to 27 are eligible for repair, so I guess week 28 are the first ones that should definitely not be affected by the discoloration issue.

katy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 08:40 AM

Week 26 here. No problems so far..

I've had it for nearly a month now.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by katy
Week 26 here. No problems so far..

I've had it for nearly a month now.
Seconded. No mooing, no heat, no discoloration. And since it's week 26, I'm eligible for the new cover, just in case it discolors in the future.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 27, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
According to the alleged Apple "callback" statement, weeks 17 to 27 are eligible for repair, so I guess week 28 are the first ones that should definitely not be affected by the discoloration issue.

Aha. Nice to know. Thanks!

I still wonder if Apple is just replacing top covers or replacing the whole unit like in member Case's case. They swapped out his stained book for a BLACK one!

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 01:13 PM

Week 19 - MacBook

Random Shutdown Problem
----- (logic board replacement corrected on temporarily. Swapped to new machine)

Colored Vertical Lines on Startup Problem (first appeared after 10.4.7)

No discoloration

Quietly mooed

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 01:56 PM

Week 18 MacBook

No problems at all (it'll moo or even turn the fans on when I do two CPU-intensive things, of course)

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 02:54 PM

Week 24 white 2.0Ghz Macbook: I've had mooing and, in the last 10 days about 2 random shutdowns a day, mine is on its way back to Apple as soon as my repair box arrives...
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

MiniMoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 03:02 PM

Week 26 - no mooing, no whining, no discoloration, no mushy trackpad button, no random shutdowns, and no dead or stuck pixels. It gets warm but I use it on my lap in a recliner while wearing shorts, no problem.
Moe
1.66GHz Core-Duo Mini, 2GB/120GB, Apple 23" Cinema HD Display
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Apple iSight Camera
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 27, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MiniMoe
Week 26 - no mooing, no whining, no discoloration, no mushy trackpad button, no random shutdowns, and no dead or stuck pixels. It gets warm but I use it on my lap in a recliner while wearing shorts, no problem.
Damn you really lucked out with that one, heh.

As for davidflas, I can't say I've experienced any sudden shut downs. Mine seems to be completely flawless except for a PLAUSIBLE chance for discoloration. If spots don't show up within the next month, I think I'll be able to confirm I'm in the clear -- hopefully.

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 27, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311
I have a week 25 and it has the yellowing. I think week 26 was the first with the new top cover.
I also have a question for you -- Does your trackpad feel rough/smooth like the rest of your top cover? Or is your trackpad a noticably different texture than the rest. My macbook has a roughish trackpad with a pretty damn smooth top cover.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 06:00 PM

So, this being the end of week 30 of the year, any idea what the lastest shipping batch is? The discoloration issue above says up to week 27 serials - are there 28's to 30's in the retail channel?

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 27, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Briareus
So, this being the end of week 30 of the year, any idea what the lastest shipping batch is? The discoloration issue above says up to week 27 serials - are there 28's to 30's in the retail channel?
Yeah, I wish I could wakl into an apple store and ask, "Could go into the back and tell me the latest serial number you have in the last shipment?"

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 08:54 PM

after a little Googling, it appears that week 29s are the latest shipping.

and, yes, if they have my desired config in stock I will in fact check the serial before pulling the trigger

mrliammm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 12:09 PM

Hi,
I have just bought a refurb, black macbook and am having problems with a cd drive which won't read slightly marked cds, a cursor which keeps freezing, and sticking button input (the button itself functions normally but the computer thinks it is held down. How can I find out what week it's from?
Thanks

myMacBook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 01:54 PM

Mine, which shipped out last Friday, is a week 30 MacBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules