Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dry Erase Board + Macbook = Happy

Dry Erase Board + Macbook = Happy
fox-orian
Aug 5, 2006, 01:26 AM

While my MacBook isn't at all hot enough to be uncomfortable on my lap, it's size however sometimes makes it a little awkward to use on my lap if I'm sitting on a sofa and kinda lounging around. [I'm either worrying that my pants zipper or buttons will scratch the bottom up nicely, or the macbook isn't wide enough to span gaps in my lap.]

So I was looking around for something that my macbook could sit on while it's on my lap to make it a bit more stable. Lo and behold, I found the perfect "MacBook Budget Platform"

A standard 9x12" [or something like that size] Dry Erase Board seats a macbook perfectly! Not only does the white surface suit a white macbook perfectly, but alot of dry erase boards have silver frames that further accentuate it.

It really works on several levels. Dry erase boards are sturdy and produce HIGH resistance to the macbooks rubber feet, the macbook stays FIRMLY planted on the whiteboard surface. The backside of the dry erase board also produces a lot of friction against pants and jeans while it's on your lap. As an added bonus, most dry erase boards seem to be made of layers of corrugated cardboard, so it provides nice insulation to keep your lap cool -- and your macbook cool as well since it stays on a flush surface to allow the bottom to breathe!

Oh and there's uh.. the added bonus of .. you know, writing on the dry erase board. You know, what they were made for *cough*

Just a small observation, but it's pretty cool! A nice budget macbook lapsaver.
( Last edited by fox-orian; Aug 5, 2006 at 01:32 AM. )

masugu
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 10:36 AM

Umm...what _were_ dry erase boards made for? Other than the obvious.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2006, 10:53 AM

While that is an interesting solution to the MB's heat, I prefer my Lapinator Inexpensive, keeps the heat off my legs and it is comfortable. I don't know how comfy the white board will be on my lap for extended periods.
Michael

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2006, 11:03 AM

forget the dry erase boards, here's what you need, though I don't know anybody who has one. It elevates the laptop, good for use in bed, provides much more air circulation:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...ProductID=4007

fox-orian  (op)
Aug 5, 2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
forget the dry erase boards, here's what you need, though I don't know anybody who has one. It elevates the laptop, good for use in bed, provides much more air circulation:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...ProductID=4007

Yeah, I know there are obvious REAL soultions out there [including the very nice -- and expensive -- iLap.] But for a quick household solution, this holds up nicely! XD hahah At least this board is small and thin enough to fit into my bag like a thin notebook *shrug*

Forum Links
Forum Rules