Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Melting Macbook

Melting Macbook
Dr.Michael
Aug 2, 2006, 01:33 PM

A german Macbook owner has posted this in Macnews.de. It is interesting enough to be made public, I guess.

He reported that he had problems with his Macbook due to crashes and did a clean setup. Then he started a dvd and left the room.
When he came back two hours later, his Macbook looked like this:

He claimed, that the machine was sitting flat on the desk, nothing blocked the vents and the room temperature was only 28 degrees C. The macbook wasn't especially hot before.

Original source (in german):
http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthread.php?t=190428
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Aug 12, 2006 at 04:53 AM. )

kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 01:37 PM

Woah that sucks.
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
A german Macbook owner has posted this in Macnews.de. It is interesting enough to be made public, I guess.

He reported that he had problems with his Macbook due to crashes and did a clean setup. Then he started a dvd and left the room.
When he came back two hours later, his Macbook looked like this:

http://static.flickr.com/92/204994153_832cca5db1_m.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/93/204994156_9694c8ef84_m.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/96/204994157_df3ade7de1_m.jpg

He claimed, that the machine was sitting flat on the desk, nothing blocked the vents and the room temperature was only 28 degrees C. The macbook wasn't especially hot before.

Original source (in german):
http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthread.php?t=190428
haha i just can't wait till someones macbook sets their house on f ire and apple gets taken over by some disgruntled user
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 05:33 PM

Photoshopped? Looks a little extreme to me.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 08:10 PM

so what? obviously a freak case

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 09:53 PM

I bet he tried to overclock it so he can play WOW and melted it

Dr.Michael  (op)
Aug 3, 2006, 02:53 AM

Now it has made it to appledefects. Here is the story:
http://www.appledefects.com/?p=74

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 02:08 AM

Those pics are effin fake!! It's funny how the pics shown are only extreme close ups so we can't see the whole thing. The shell of the LCD display and the body of the computer look fine. It's only the overlay on the screen and the keyboard that "appear" melted. No amount of heat generated from the computer would cause that much meltdown.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 03:17 AM

I doubt it's a fake. At least not by just distorting images of an intact MB in PS.

In this image you can see the fastening latch below the bezel. No PS distortion filter will make such a latch appear out of nothing.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I doubt it's a fake. At least not by just distorting images of an intact MB in PS.

In this image you can see the fastening latch below the bezel. No PS distortion filter will make such a latch appear out of nothing.
Here are more pictures including full view shots.
Some have a bad quality but the good ones make it seem unlikely that its a fake.
Please notice that the damage did not occur at the place where the fan blows out the hot air (in the middle of the rear vent). Its towards the left side where the power connector sits.
So maybe it happened due to a bad transformer.

http://www.cbdatentechnik.com/Privat...tedmacbook.zip

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Simon

I'm sure the actual pics are not fake by means of photoshop work but they are fake as far as the computer overheating. There are a lot of weird kids on the web with a sick sense of humor with money to burn that will buy a MacBook and take the top cover off the screen and the keyboard and place them in an oven and warp the casing and then show pics on the web as if heat from the computer did it.
Remember the egg cooking on the MacBook? Fake.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
. There are a lot of weird kids on the web with a sick sense of humor with money to burn that will buy a MacBook and take the top cover off the screen and the keyboard and place them in an oven and warp the casing and then show pics on the web as if heat from the computer did it.
come on, it's obvious his cat pissed on it while it was chasing a rat that was gnawing on the power cord.

Ciber
Aug 4, 2006, 05:44 PM

I'm sure the actual pics are not fake by means of photoshop work but they are fake as far as the computer overheating. There are a lot of weird kids on the web with a sick sense of humor with money to burn that will buy a MacBook and take the top cover off the screen and the keyboard and place them in an oven and warp the casing and then show pics on the web as if heat from the computer did it.
Remember the egg cooking on the MacBook? Fake.
So let me get this straight, you want us to believe that crazy scenario you just made up in order to excuse apple of any blame, instead of simply believing the most plausible explanation which is that the macbook malfunctioned in some way(fan died, transformer or some other circuitry fried)?

People, don't lose touch with reality simply to try and protect apple's image or whatever the hell it is a lot of you try to do by always making up excuses for them.

efeokur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 06:29 PM

it's obvious that the MacBook malfunctioned, but I don't think it Apple is to blame for it, I mean such things aren't supposed to happen, but they do sometimes, and I think Apple has done what they should, and offered a replacement. S..t happens sometimes, and not even Apple can prevent it.
iBook 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 iwth 512mb Ram on Max OS X 10.4.7
iPod 30Gb with Video support

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ciber
So let me get this straight, you want us to believe that crazy scenario you just made up in order to excuse apple of any blame, instead of simply believing the most plausible explanation which is that the macbook malfunctioned in some way(fan died, transformer or some other circuitry fried)?

People, don't lose touch with reality simply to try and protect apple's image or whatever the hell it is a lot of you try to do by always making up excuses for them.

This has nothing to do with protecting Apple's image and why would any one consumer feel the need to do that for a major billion dollar conglomerate? I made up that so-called crazy scenario to make a point that no amount of heat from any of Apple's computers or any PC notebook has caused it to warp the plastic.
As far as how it could have possibly happened? There are a large number of things namely, let say a "Power surge" maybe or bad circuitry. Those things can happen on any equipment.

Just because the heat from Apple's notebooks has been so well discussed then someone takes the opportunity and places pics of a melted MacBook to make it look as though it was from overheating.
Over the past few years people have complained about Apple's notebooks getting really hot and not one time has there been a handfull of notebooks damaged due to heat.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

masugu
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 11:16 AM

Umm. Technically Apple is not a comglomerate.

A conglomerate is "a corporation that has diversified its operations usually by acquiring enterprises in widely varied industries."

Until Apple sells ladies foundation garments - or something equally wacky - it's still a computer company ;-)
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Jonaziz
Aug 5, 2006, 12:38 PM

Why would part of the case by the screen melt? Why the hell don't these people post full pictures of the computer that aren't blurry? could it be to high blowtorch marks?

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by masugu

A conglomerate is "a corporation that has diversified its operations usually by acquiring enterprises in widely varied industries."

Until Apple sells ladies foundation garments - or something equally wacky - it's still a computer company ;-)

Okay I was just making a point which using the word "conglomerate" has nothing to do with the point.
BTW if you are going to correct people, start by correcting yourself. The first 3 letters of the word don't start with "COM" and it looks like you just copied and pasted that definition from a dictionary which BTW should have showed you how to spell it. Jerk!!
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2006, 06:23 PM

He spelled it correctly the second time, indicating that it was a typo.

And he indeed quoted a dictionary definition - that's why he put it in "quotes".

EasyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 06:24 PM

I don't think ive ever heard of a computer getting so hot that it melts... That must be one of the very first MacBooks.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
He spelled it correctly the second time, indicating that it was a typo.

And he indeed quoted a dictionary definition - that's why he put it in "quotes".
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. One needs to check themselves before they check others. Correcting the way the word was used is one thing but placing the definition of the word was just plain rude and that's how you start wars.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Lebensmuede
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 08:22 PM

What I don't get is why he put a DVD in it and then left the room for two hours. I mean, what was the point of that?

But, to answer my own question, a bit further down in the original thread the owner says that he ran the DVD to test it after it had crashed a couple of times. In addition to playing the DVD he also had it set to play chess.
( Last edited by Lebensmuede; Aug 5, 2006 at 08:45 PM. )

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 08:54 PM

If it was closed and not allowed to sleep I could se this happening. But I dont see how this could damage the screen with it open. And why leave the room for two hours when playing a DVD?

muckrake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 09:39 PM

it's been left in the sun and they wont honour the warranty so he's pissed off

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2006, 10:17 PM

Wow. I wonder how hot it got exactly.

MacSince88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 12:01 AM

This subject is getting way out of control. We've been running a MacBook around the clock for few weeks in extremely hot weather. We live in the desert and sometimes even use it outdoors. It's gets a little warm but not enough to complain about. My daughter sits with it in her lap, wearing shorts, and says it's never bothered her. The temperature of the MacBook seems similar to the other laptops we've owned through the years. We even compared it to an ancient G3 Wallstreet and the MacBook runs much cooler.

Our local library has posted various photos of MELTED VHS tapes that were returned after they were left inside cars on a typical summer day. Also, video rental stores in our area post warnings about leaving tapes/DVDs in cars. Just because one person has photos of a melted MacBook doesn't make it the fault of the product. Most likely this MacBook was also was left inside a car or some other hot place.

fox-orian
Aug 6, 2006, 12:50 AM

Those pics are effin fake!! It's funny how the pics shown are only extreme close ups so we can't see the whole thing. The shell of the LCD display and the body of the computer look fine. It's only the overlay on the screen and the keyboard that "appear" melted. No amount of heat generated from the computer would cause that much meltdown.
Not quite.

It's true a CPU cant do the damage because if they get too hot they usually fail and freeze up or something before destroying itself.

Yeah, the inverter messed up in his screen.

A CCFL tube I once owned had an inverter that went into "worst case scenario" where the thing began heating up to DANGEROUS levels. The inverter warped the plastic case it was in VERY similarly to the fullsize photos of the macbook shown. Inverters rarely have some sort of security shutdown mechanism, and will just keep getting worse and worse if they mess up. Faulty inverters can get insane without you even knowing, easily able to warp or even burn plastic around it.

The only reason I found out that MY inverter was messing up on my CCFL tube was that I smelled something burning inside my computer. I take a look, and I pull out a near molten inverter. It was blue. The heat turned it black in most areas.

The damage in the photos only shows warping near the areas where the inverter roughly lies behind the bezel -- it must be the culprit.

Either way, it's an extreme freak isolated case. I doubt it's a prank or a joke.
( Last edited by fox-orian; Aug 6, 2006 at 01:07 AM. )

moet01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 07:15 AM

Do any of you guys have a macbook? The Pic are fake. Also the heat from a macbook does not come from that area. get a clue and do a little research before you think everything you read or see online is true...

Dr.Michael  (op)
Aug 6, 2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jonaziz
Why would part of the case by the screen melt?
That is THE most intersting question.
If you have a look at the internals of the Macbook, the fan is found centered in the case. So if the fan would have blown out the hot air, the center of the hinge would have been damaged.
If the fan broke down, it is more the left side, were space is for air circulation (the processor and the heatsink are placed to the left of the fan. So the fan blocks air circulation to the right. )

But to get from the case to the left frame, the hot air must have come out of the speaker opening. I doubt that.

This is why my initial thought was that the power connector or the electronics behind it was the source of the heat. With a 60 Watt power adapter operating at 12 Volts, we have up to 5 Amps flowing into the macbook. This can create quite a lot of heat if a conducting line or a cable is damaged. So this would explain why the case is warped right above the speaker.

But there is still the display frame. Assuming the Macbook was not closed, the inverter theory sounds best. But the cables to the inverter board all go into the display from the right side of the hinge. So it is likely that the inverter is placed more to the right.

Does anyone know exactly? PBFixit has no photos of a disassembled display.

Originally Posted by Jonaziz
Why the hell don't these people post full pictures of the computer that aren't blurry? could it be to high blowtorch marks?
Please have a look at the zip file whose link I posted later in this thread. There you find details and full pictures.

Whatever happend here, I doubt that the damage is due to processor heat. Thus it may indeed be caused by a defective part.

fox-orian
Aug 6, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
That is THE most intersting question.
Does anyone know exactly? PBFixit has no photos of a disassembled display.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ylwpYgpr1Ko
Here's your answer -- what's behind the screen frame.

It looks like the inverter is stored BELOW the removable part of the frame, in the area that dips down before the speakers.

Originally Posted by moet01
Do any of you guys have a macbook? The Pic are fake. Also the heat from a macbook does not come from that area. get a clue and do a little research before you think everything you read or see online is true...
DId you even read the other possibilities of faulty parts other than heat from the rear vent? A macbook is fully electronic, I assure you, anything can heat up in the right circumstances. Do your research too before making rash posts.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Aug 6, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by fox-orian
Well, the quality is so low... I cannot identify anything.

dpaanlka
Aug 6, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ciber

Its easy to understand how this could be a fake. Yes, people really do hate Macs enough to do something like this. Remember when the iMac G3s were still current machines, and that guy shooting an iMac movie was floating around? Do you know how much money he would have had to spend to do that? Unless he stole it.

I don't think the inverter failing or any other part failing is a more "plausible" explanation. The inverter in a MacBook is so tiny, melting and burn marks would be confined to one super teeny tiny area, and as soon as any sort of hole opened up due to warping, the hot air would start escaping instead of continuing to melt various parts of the laptop.

This screams fake.

fox-orian
Aug 6, 2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dpaanlka
Its easy to understand how this could be a fake. Yes, people really do hate Macs enough to do something like this. Remember when the iMac G3s were still current machines, and that guy shooting an iMac movie was floating around? Do you know how much money he would have had to spend to do that? Unless he stole it.

I don't think the inverter failing or any other part failing is a more "plausible" explanation. The inverter in a MacBook is so tiny, melting and burn marks would be confined to one super teeny tiny area, and as soon as any sort of hole opened up due to warping, the hot air would start escaping instead of continuing to melt various parts of the laptop.

This screams fake.
I will admit, if I had a better view on what a MacBook inverter really looked like, I'd revise my statement

My first impressions were "Wow, some kid had fun with an electric heat-gun."
Reminds me of a kid beating himself up for recognition. Only if this is a fake, the kid would be more like "throwing a wrench into things"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 06:34 PM

Looks to me that he left the computer on his seat or on the dashboard of a hot car. (Assuming the pictures are real).
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

moet01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by fox-orian

It looks like the inverter is stored BELOW the removable part of the frame, in the area that dips down before the speakers.

DId you even read the other possibilities of faulty parts other than heat from the rear vent? A macbook is fully electronic, I assure you, anything can heat up in the right circumstances. Do your research too before making rash posts.

Picture of the side screen is thinker then a macbook, also the vent in pic does not match up with the f2 key on a mac book and last but not least the f1 - f12 keys are way to big there 1/2 that size on a macbook. Easy to see there fake.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 12:16 AM

My point was made indeed. The scenario I spoke about earlier in terms of some sick kid with money to burn could have acutally damaged the computer on purpose. The You Tube video is proof that some sick weirdo uses his brand new computer as an example by prying off the screen bezel. Who else would want to mess around with something brand new and that beautiful.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Jay Condon
Aug 7, 2006, 02:28 AM

Hmmm.....someone's having fantasies of macbooks wearing panties. Or would that be an ithong? Of course, that could explain the melted macbook.....friction burns. I wonder what was on that DVD they popped in?

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 08:30 PM

whether it is fake or real it certainly stirs up both sides of controversy here. both the lovers and the haters get upon their box to defend their position. someone should find the owner of this unfortunate situation and get details before we divide camps as to whose "fault" it is. accidents happen, nothing is made to last forever. sometimes these events remind me of what it would sound like if we discussed crop circles or bigfoot.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Aug 9, 2006, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna
whether it is fake or real it certainly stirs up both sides of controversy here. both the lovers and the haters get upon their box to defend their position. someone should find the owner of this unfortunate situation and get details before we divide camps as to whose "fault" it is. accidents happen, nothing is made to last forever. sometimes these events remind me of what it would sound like if we discussed crop circles or bigfoot.
I was tracking this issue.
In the meantime the original thread about the melted macbook has been closed. The user has opened a new one here:
http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthread.php?t=192000

There he claims, apple has called him because they saw his posts and they will replace his Macbook (which is currently somewhere in an apple repair center). The rest of the discussion is about why the original thread has been closed. The mods say, the original poster wanted it that way. Sounds weird and pointless.
Finally the poster will get a new Macbook and no one will know, what apple finds out behind their curtains abouts the real source of the heat. Since he does not seem to be interested in anything except a new book, I guess we will not get the information that we would have liked to know.

Smells bad if you ask me. No sane mod would close a thread like that only because the orignal poster wanted it. This has become a case of general interest. Sounds more like an apple classic: find a post with bad publicity, give the dumb poster what he wants and send a friendly mail from the legal department to the hoster that everything has been solved and the thread can be closed. Or to the origianl poster that he will receive his new book after the thread has been closed - Speculations invited!
Thats what they do in their own lists (easier and without legal department there).

Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 06:40 PM

Honestly this is very believable because has anyone seem the exploding Powerbooks, Dells that explode since batteries can cause explosion couldn't other parts of a Latop that are loaded with this power, melt something.

This kinda of stuff happens all the time apple just usually covers it up.

Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 06:51 PM

Honestly this is very believable because has anyone seem the exploding Powerbooks, Dells that explode since batteries can cause explosion couldn't other parts of a Latop that are loaded with this power, melt something.

This kinda of stuff happens all the time apple just usually covers it up.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2006, 03:15 AM

no.

miss-haley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 03:50 AM

iPanties?

sorry that was a touch off topic - nice to see apple coming to the party and getting him a new one tho.... in some cases they have been difficult in the extreme to admit default...
----------------------------------
A+ is draining my will to live
----------------------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules