Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook suddenly and randomly shutting down

iBook suddenly and randomly shutting down
crazylegs5150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 12:05 PM

So a family member of mine who is at college has SUDDENLY come across a very concerning problem with her 3 year old iBook ( dunno if it's G3 or G4) . The problem came about suddenly and basically without provocation. While she is in the process of typing up a term paper for college, the computer just shuts off without warning or cause. As a result, everything that is getting typed on, gets lost. The only thing we can POSSIBLY think of that MIGHT have something to do with it is that during christmas break a few months back, another family member upgraded her RAM for her. Possibly loose connection or something? Bad battery? She did have to replace the charger plug this year as the old one got bent right where it inserts into the plug on the computer ( thanks to poor planning on apples part) and I think it even smoked at one point. Obviously not good either way. Apple seems to be lackadaisical on their part with addressing this problem and she did not get apple care as far as we know. Besides, it would have expired even if she did. Has anyone come across this situation before? Many thanks!!

osiris24x
Apr 23, 2008, 04:50 AM

Apple did a huge iBook logic board recall, for this very issue. I've replaced more iBook logic boards than I can count. Bad or loose memory can cause system lockups, but not a power loss. An overheating CPU can cause a power loss, but it's rare. I'm guessing logic board.

Does the machine hum or make any noise? Does it run when the battery is out? Does plugging in an external display have any effect?
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules