Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook (Pros) are here!

New MacBook (Pros) are here! (Page 8)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Once Apple cuts off something they rarely go back. Actually, I can't remember the last time time they reversed on such a decision at all.
FW800 missing on the first generation MacBook Pro.

That was just a stopgap, I suppose, and the controller just wasn't done yet, but there you go.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kodachrome_Project View Post
This is odd, why are you taking this personal? Odd..

I am just giving my experience with it, which has not a thing to do with your opinion. I have been using Mac's since Photoshop 2.0, I have seen a lot of screens. The screen in my soon to be sold MacBook Pro 2.0 is actually less than a year old, the original one had a bad dust problem that Apple took care of, so it is plenty bright, not dead.

By dead looking I am talking about reflections occuring in a more global fashion on a matte screen. Since the surface material is porous, it has more micro-sized angles that catch global reflections, harder to get rid of in an overall sense. It knocks out the contrast in the viewing in some cases. I am really loving the new screen, that is how I feel anyway.

But this is my experience and we all have different needs. Not every pro has the same opinion as you. So it is both incorrect and inaccurate to say that "Pros prefer matte screens".

No need to get in a fuss, it might do all of you some good to spend less time posting on the geek site and to talk to people outside of this place in the world around you to get an honest opinion.

As for me, the computer is working great, will keep me in business while out on the road shooting a film project for the next week....but that is why I use top notch computers, so I can get what I need done on them then get off of it and have a life...

Have fun with what ever screen you use...
here we go... i'm not taking anything personal, i just don't appreciate general comments based on opinions spreading around like fact around here. i've said it time and time again, both screens are great... but there should be a choice, thats the only thing i'm having issues with. nothing personal and to be honest i'm done voicing my concern with screens, i'd just wish people here were about choice and not about going in whichever direction apple thinks is best for us. sure the trend now a days is to go towards glsosy screens, but "think different" was once a motto of a company i loved way back when. to each their own...and i'm out this *@$%&.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 11:18 AM

I have the impression he should have quoted somebody else than you, iREZ. It was getting unnecessarily personal and he was right in pointing that out. But it wasn't your reply that was inappropriate.

NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2008, 11:23 AM

Apple removed 17" model from their site. Now you can only find one in the [web]store. Not a word here http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
Is that the end?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by NeverTriedApple View Post
Apple removed 17" model from their site. Now you can only find one in the [web]store. Not a word here http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
Is that the end?
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17-inch/

Your studio to go.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro makes your ideas even more brilliant with a sharp, high-resolution, 1920-by-1200-pixel LED-backlit glossy screen with an antiglare option. The 17-inch MacBook Pro allows you to view 1080-resolution HD video in all its glory — no need to resize the window to fit the screen. The LED-backlit display is lighter and more power efficient, and it delivers full screen brightness the instant you turn it on. It’s also mercury-free and arsenic-free — so it’s better for the environment.

NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Neat. How does one get there normally?

iREZ
Professional Poster

I don't see how Apple could cut away the 17", correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it mentioned somewhere (here on the forums, or in the keynote) that the air and 17" were delayed and are slated for a november update or something to that effect?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Eug
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by NeverTriedApple View Post
Neat. How does one get there normally?
Here is the list of Macs listed (with links) at the bottom of some of the pages:

Macs

* Mac Pro
* Mac mini
* MacBook
* MacBook Pro
* MacBook Air
* MacBook White
* MacBook Pro 17"
* iMac

But yeah, Apple seems to be de-emphasizing the MacBook White and the MacBook Pro 17". For the White, I think Apple will discontinue it next year. For the 17" I think Apple will replace it next year with an updated model.

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2008, 12:23 PM

I've just caught up a bit with some of the comments, I particularly liked the one about glossy screens being only for those who like to watch themselves work. I have a mid-2007 iMac with a 24-inch glossy screen. I was leery, went to a store to check it out and decided I could live with it. I've never been sorry, though I must say that it's in a basement office and the window behind me is always covered with aluminum blinds.

I got, right away, one of the new MacBooks. Yes, I was a little disappointed about the FW loss. So far it's not been an issue, as I'm installing everything fresh, so I'm not relying on target disk mode. I guess I'm OK with it, because really, I can come up with alternative options for backing up, and any camcorder output I can start on the iMac, not the MB. In truth, I mostly used FW on my old laptop for iPods, and there are altnernatives for that.

I have to say, the glossy screen doesn't bother me at all. I think the screen is beautiful and very clear and sharp. My old laptop was nearly 6 years old, and is a 12-inch, so the upgraded innards, not to mention extra screen real estate, is fabulous for me. I do some online marketing, which I didn't even bother to do on the old laptop. It's great on the new one.

Maybe there are flaws I'll find down the road. For me, it's been great. I got the low-end MB -- not the white one -- and feel I got my money's worth.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 07:58 PM

So, what's the next CPU update for the MacBook?

I'm going to use my WhiteBook until the low end AluMacBook gets the backlit keyboard and upgraded specs. I'll sell the WhiteBook then.

What kind of specs should I expect with the next AluMacBook?

As for FireWire, we'll probably keep our 1.07 GHz iBook. I also have an 800 MHz iBook, but it doesn't natively support Leopard. You need to do some hacks to get it to work with Leopard, so it ain't an ideal troubleshooting machine.

osiris24x
Oct 22, 2008, 09:19 PM

The next release from Intel was codenamed Nehalem when I worked there, the consumer name will be Core i7. You'll see it go into a MacBook and MacBook Pro Q3 2009. It's a new architecture which properly pulls all of the cores together rather than trying to bridge them. It also pulls the memory controller among other things into the CPU die, shrinking the overall logic board size. It will bring back Intel's old HyperThreading technology in a new way to create logical cores from physical cores.

I believe the next MacBook will have 8 logical cores (4 physical) and use 30% less power. A quick Google search should provide more details.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 09:35 PM

Ah yes. I had gone through this discussion for the iMac, but I had forgotten it applies to the MacBook (as Auburndale?) as well. However, I might have guessed the next MacBook would be dual-core, possibly with the 4-core variant reserved for the Pro line as well as the iMacs.

However, it's Q3 2009 as you said (or even 2010), so I'm glad I have the WhiteBook for now. Waiting until late 2009 or early 2010 with an 800 MHz iBook would be painful.

Anyways, the low end aluminum MacBook had better get keyboard illumination (and a good price drop) by then, or else I'll be very disappointed. It will also ship with Snow Leopard.

osiris24x
Oct 22, 2008, 09:44 PM

I'm still hanging onto my trusty MacBook Pro Core Duo until Core i7 comes out, as hard as that wait is.

I have a new MacBook sitting here that I'm loading stuff onto for a client. The finish and precision is really something, unlike anything I've ever seen. The little holes in the metal over the microphone are remarkably small, made with lasers. All the little touches combined are quite an experience. Something tells me I may end up getting a 15" model for myself soon. *sigh*
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by osiris24x View Post
I'm still hanging onto my trusty MacBook Pro Core Duo until Core i7 comes out, as hard as that wait is.
Isn't that late 09 meaning we may not see it in a MacBook until 2010?
~Mike

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 22, 2008, 09:50 PM

Yeah the Nehalem stuff does all sound exciting, but it is indeed a while to hold out with something oldish - well done for lasting on the 800MHz iBook; I had one for 2 1/2 years that was replaced by the last 12" PB.

With the option of giving the Pro machines more cores as well, maybe FireWire has a chance on future MBs; after all it is at the moment one of the big separating features .

Re the low-end MacBook not having a backlit keyboard; this seems like a hangover from them leaving the low-end with a Combo Drive for such a long time. I guess in this case they needed something more to separate the two MB price points. It is a shame that we can't have a machine that is truly a smaller Pro - maybe in January; after all, the original 12" and 17" PowerBooks were introduced at an MWSF, and the new 17" may not make it before then ... would be an awesome surprise ... unless one happens to buy a new MB in the intervening months.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by osiris24x View Post
I sold my Core Duo MacBook a couple of months ago, thinking I might get a new one now. However, the missing features and the higher price on the current alu MacBook, and the killer prices on the WhiteBook refurbs pushed me that direction for now.

To my surprise, the C2D 2.1 MacBook does feel noticeably faster than the first CD 2.0 with the old 5400 rpm drive. Part of it may be the drive, but much of it is probably due to the actual CPU speed boost. The CD 2.0 is more than adequate for my laptop needs though.

I have a new MacBook sitting here that I'm loading stuff onto for a client. The finish and precision is really something, unlike anything I've ever seen. The little holes in the metal over the microphone are remarkably small, made with lasers.
Yes, the fit and finish of the new MacBook is excellent. IMO, it's the best ever for any Apple laptop, whether they be PowerBooks, iBooks, MacBooks, or MacBook Pros. Just as importantly though, the MacBook is noticeably lighter than the WhiteBooks. Very nice.

All the little touches combined are quite an experience. Something tells me I may end up getting a 15" model for myself soon. *sigh*
Resist! It's only another YEAR!

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Yeah the Nehalem stuff does all sound exciting, but it is indeed a while to hold out with something oldish - well done for lasting on the 800MHz iBook; I had one for 2 1/2 years that was replaced by the last 12" PB.
Just to be clear: I was using the MacBook CD 2.0 and then sold it while I could get good cash for it, and because I found the 800 MHz for über cheap. I've only been using the 800 MHz iBook for a couple of months. It was either going to be resold after I got a new MacBook (either now, after Macworld, or perhaps as late as spring), or else used as a guest computer or something like that.
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 22, 2008 at 10:01 PM. )

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 02:42 AM

Nehalem/i7 mobile is still quite far out. By now it's been delayed several times. Current estimates for Clarksfield/Auburndale are 4Q09/1Q10. So in all likelihood there will be one more Penryn MB refresh before we see the i7 MB.

Those waiting for backlit KBs to come to the low-end MB might want to remind themselves that currently it's on the top-end only. The next refresh will probably place a unibody at the low end at $1099. And backlit KBs might come to the middle MB at $1299. It's likely at least another refresh later until the low-end could get it. If at all that is. It's actually quite likely it won't and backlit KBs will be the new BlackBook. You get what you pay for.
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 23, 2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 02:54 AM

Some new information regarding the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

• NVIDIA confirmed publicly that the 9400M G chipset does indeed support 8 GB RAM. They have of course not confirmed that Apple isn't decreasing that limit in firmware, but it's good to be certain about the chipset.

• The 9400M G chipset Apple is using supports Hybrid Power and GeeForce Boost. The former allows you to switch from one GPU to the other depending on your performance/battery requirements. Apple's MacBook Pros do support this feature but presently require you to log out. The latter allows both GPUs to run simultaneously to provide better performance. Both of these things are in there. But obviously Apple hasn't got around to supporting them in the shipping 10.5.5 build. Apple's drivers for this chipset are still very new. We'll just have to give them some more time to get this stuff working in OS X.

http://gizmodo.com/5067433/confirmed...in-macbook-pro

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 03:02 AM

Apple's drivers for this chipset are still very new. We'll just have to give them some more time to get this stuff working in OS X.

http://gizmodo.com/5067433/confirmed...in-macbook-pro
I'm guessing this is a shoe-in for Snow Leopard.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OreoCookie
Oct 23, 2008, 03:31 AM

This is very good news
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I'm guessing this is a shoe-in for Snow Leopard.
Sure sounds like that.

I agree this is excellent news. I think we're starting to get a clearer picture of where the Mac's going in terms of multi-core CPU and (multi-)GPU integration. The hardware seems to have been brought in line (at least partially). Now it's up to Apple to show off how well they can integrate things in software. Any speculation on how much SL/GC detail will be revealed at MWS? Sure, it's not WWDC, but still...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 07:20 AM

Nehalem/i7 mobile is still quite far out. By now it's been delayed several times. Current estimates for Clarksfield/Auburndale are 4Q09/1Q10. So in all likelihood there will be one more Penryn MB refresh before we see the i7 MB.

Those waiting for backlit KBs to come to the low-end MB might want to remind themselves that currently it's on the top-end only. The next refresh will probably place a unibody at the low end at $1099. And backlit KBs might come to the middle MB at $1299. It's likely at least another refresh later until the low-end could get it. If at all that is.
Perfect timing then. Macworld 2010 it is.

It's actually uite likely it won;t and backlit KBs will be the new BlackBook. You get what you pay for.
Heh. Ironically, I much preferred the WhiteBook to the BlackBook, so it worked out perfectly for me.

As for the low end unibody getting it, I liken it to DVI on the 12" PowerBook. Eventually it got it. It just took a while... and then the iBook got it too.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
As for the low end unibody getting it, I liken it to DVI on the 12" PowerBook. Eventually it got it. It just took a while... and then the iBook got it too.
The iBook never had DVI.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The iBook never had DVI.
Correct. My mistake. I was thinking (non-Pro) MacBook.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2008, 11:31 AM

According to the latest leaks from Intel there will be a (minor) Penryn update in December and a last update in Spring 2009. So new MB(P)s around summer would place them perfectly between the current (just updated) generation and the first i7 generation. We'll see how that pans out.

P
Oct 23, 2008, 05:01 PM

Yes, that's a major refresh - the T9900 will top out at 3.06 GHz. Big whoop - except that the X9100 already runs at 3.06 GHz. Basically Intel is taking the X9100 and locking down the multipliers again. Presumably the price is coming down as well, but that is no refresh: That is a price cut.

Also: The current T9600 is a 2.8 GHz CPU. On a 1066 MHz FSB (266 MHz QDR), the next speed grade is 3.06 GHz (Intel doesn't do half multipliers on the mobiles). Why not call it T9700? Are they trying to bluff us with a high number, or are Intel really launching a significant speed bump? T9900 would imply something in the 3.6 GHz range, and I'm just not buying that, so it's probably the number thing.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2008, 05:59 PM

...The MBA IMHO would have a lot more appeal if Apple trimmed everything away that goes beyond either the KB or the screen. If they found some way of reducing that bezel to a minimum it would make the MBA actually compact rather than "just" thin. And it could reduce the weight even further. ...But I do think a more compact MBA (which offers a good resolution and decent performance) with just the bare minimum in terms of ports is a very attractive Apple product.
Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Yes and maybe they could just perhaps swing it at a slightly lower price?
I think that the 12" Powerbook market space is a HUGE market hole that Apple will fill no later than MWSF in January, probably sooner. With the iPhone so small and running an OS X adaptation the size capability is obviously there. My best guess is a touch screen device, but a smaller less expensive MBA is another reasonable option that follows Apple's start expensive evolve cheaper model.

Also I am hoping that Apple has not forsaken the graphics world mobile pros. Hopefully the 17" will be updated to include available matte screen and 8 GB accessible RAM. And dual mass storage would be a nice plus.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 23, 2008 at 06:12 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 11:23 PM

MacBook battery cover issue

The new aluminum MacBooks might lack a proper fit between the battery cover and the main housing, according to a number of owner reports, including MacRumors Forums. Several users have reported that the cover slides around or leaves gaps where it should be flush. Apple's Mac Geniuses are reportedly replacing any of the faulty systems, although this could be a temporary or hit-and-miss solution. The aluminum enclosure is a completely new system that faces the typical revision process of new designs.

The problem could involve several design elements, including the latch, the retaining tabs, or the tolerances of the door and case. If the latch doesn't secure the door tightly, it allows for play between the parts that would be apparent by noticing the gaps. If the cover or case are out of spec, the panel could slide around without ever settling where it is intended to seat.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 01:16 AM

The AnandTech review of the new MacBook and MacBook Pro has been posted:

Apple's Redesigned MacBook and MacBook Pro: Thoroughly Reviewed

As always, Anand's review defintiely makes for an interesting read.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 03:02 AM

BareFeats has some new benchmarks comparing a 2.8 GHz MBP running the 9400M vs. the 9600M GT. Obviously the 9600M GT is much faster, but it's surprising how well the 9400M does if you consider what kind of graphics performance the MBs offered so far.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp07.html

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I think that the 12" Powerbook market space is a HUGE market hole that Apple will fill no later than MWSF in January, probably sooner.
They have. The MacBook alu is a LOT more compact than the 12" Powerbook. It's lighter, too.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
They have. The MacBook alu is a LOT more compact than the 12" Powerbook. It's lighter, too.
Oh not this again.

We all know there are plenty of people who feel the MB is not an appropriate 12" PB replacement.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 04:30 AM

BareFeats has some new benchmarks comparing a 2.8 GHz MBP running the 9400M vs. the 9600M GT. Obviously the 9600M GT is much faster, but it's surprising how well the 9400M does if you consider what kind of graphics performance the MBs offered so far.
Definitely a vast improvement over past MB generations.

Definitely a well-deserved kick in Intel's posterior.

And it definitely offers a clear graphic depiction of why, until Apple manages to support Hybrid SLI technology, no gamer with a new-generation MBP is ever going to use the 9400M as a GPU.

freudling
Banned
Oct 24, 2008, 04:37 AM

issa:

Great review you pointed out, the best. As always, what we all have to keep in mind is that a computer's hardware, in terms of performance and functionality, is limited, to a great deal, by the software. With Snow Leopard, I am sure Apple's new Quicktime will utilize even more of the GPU, taking more stress off of the processor. Additionally, the Finder in SnowLep... the GPU will be utilized more, and more efficiently, taking more stress off of the processor and further increasing battery life. I am sure we will be able to switch GPUs on the fly with the PRO, or perhaps even use both of them at one time for more GPU power.

The processors will also become faster as Snow Leopard is the first all 64-bit OS (throughout all the Kernals), whereas Leopard is only partially 64-bit. This is where I don't feel concerned about clock speeds increasing much, because any Core 2 Duo will be positively affected by this change.

Apple has also stated that they are honing in on making things faster, easier, and much lighter in the next release of X, rather than focusing on more features. So I guess we will just have to be patient, and in the meantime, enjoy the marginal performance gains with the new books, and, mostly, focus on how beautiful their designs are.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 04:41 AM

Oh not this again.

We all know there are plenty of people who feel the MB is not an appropriate 12" PB replacement.
The plastic one wasn't; I know.

The alu one tips the scales quite a bit IMO (although the omission of Firewire...).

Anyway, I don't mean to open that can of worms.

Sorry.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 05:05 AM

No worries. You see, personally I'm quite fine with the unibody MB as a replacement for the 12" PB. It has a slim and light case, it offers decent graphics performance, it has a full-sized KB, it offers digital video out. In short it really is quite a decent candidate as "smaller MBP".

And yet, the 12" PB in many people's opinion was just so much more compact. Due to its super-narrow width and depth it was just so very portable! That's something a lot of people miss and I'll give em that. The 12" PB was narrow but still had a full-size KB. The MB has a wider screen plus this huge bezel. There's a lot of room to the left and right of the KB. That was a clear advantage the 12" PB had and the 13" MB simply cannot compete with that. These 12"PB people will not be happy with the MB until Apple finds a way to get rid of that bezel so that the width is once again determined by just the full-size KB and 13" screen. This goes for the MBA too BTW.

(And of course quite a few people will point out that the 12" PB had FW, yadda... but let's just not go there anymore.)

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 05:08 AM

freudling,

I'm holding high expectations for Snow Leopard. And not just as it applies to the latest generation of hardware, either.

On a personal note, if Apple can meet those expectations, Intel's "Penryn refresh" goes well next spring, and Ives and the boys can further polish the hardware a bit, then Apple might just squeeze some serious scratch from my pocket before my next birthday.

As for the review. Glad you found it worth reading. Anand proudly wears his biases on his sleeve; but he's one of the most gifted hardware reviewers I've had the pleasure to read.
( Last edited by issa; Oct 24, 2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Changed "Montevina" to "Penryn" to avoid confusion.)

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 24, 2008, 06:56 AM

Yes it is interesting how the 13" MB in name manages to be more than that " bigger than the 12" PB in nature. Interesting to note that the aluminium MB is 3.9cm less wide than the 15", which is wider than the old 15" - it really does lose a lot to the bezel!. However, I think that the tradeoff to a good amount less weight counts for a lot.

Back in the G4 days when there were no integrated graphics chips in Macs, the 12" PB had twice the GPU memory of the iBook, but still didn't have that good a card. The 12" PB had 256MB RAM soldered in, which was really its main downside. Now after a few generations of Intel Macs and of integrated graphics chips on the MBs, and seeing the huge leap in performance of the nVidia over the X3100, I think the MB -is- in a position to take that spot on that count.

I'm not quite sure why we've gone back to the land of huge bezels for the new MB, but I don't see them changing the width in future revs now that the new design is set (and maybe for five or six years like the last). I would be most pleased if there did come a new proper 12", maybe with a 16:9 ratio like a 12" Asus machine I was linked to yesterday ... only much less ugly ... but the line up would get pretty confusing. Oh it was so much easier when they had the processor gap - G3 iBook, G4 PowerBook!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by issa View Post
On a personal note, if Apple can meet those expectations, Intel's "Montevina refresh" goes well next spring, and Ives and the boys can further polish the hardware a bit, then Apple might just squeeze some serious scratch from my pocket before my next birthday.
Correct me if I'm wrong but apple doesn't use the Montevina line in their laptops so a refresh of the chips in 09 will have zero impact on the MB/MBP line.
~Mike

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but apple doesn't use the Montevina line in their laptops so a refresh of the chips in 09 will have zero impact on the MB/MBP line.
Well, I suppose I should have written it as the "Penryn refresh", as Apple didn't go with the full Montevina chipset on the new lineup. Sorry for the confusion.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Apple doesn't use the Cantiga chipset (part of the Montevina platform). Instead they have opted for NVIDIA's 9400M G chipset.

But Apple does use the CPUs Intel makes to go with Cantiga, i.e. 45nm socket B Penryns.

So if Intel updates those Penryns (expected in Dec and in April) that can and probably will affect the MB(P).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the clarification
~Mike

PaperNotes
Oct 26, 2008, 08:23 AM

Barefeats 3D benchmarks for the MBP don't impress much over the old model.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2008, 08:31 AM

What were you expecting? 8600 GT -> 9600 GT isn't that big of a change.

OTOH X3100 -> 9400M on the MB is huge.
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 27, 2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: 8800 -> 8600)

freudling
Banned
Oct 27, 2008, 02:53 AM

We won't see a 12" Apple for a very long time, if ever. As Jobs states, netbooks are an emerging market, and not something they are going into right now. Second, they won't cripple the machine with a small screen... 13" widescreen Air is about as small as it will get.

But, if we look at what they have to work with, they could trim a lot from the bezel on the Air, thereby decreasing its width. Since it is so thin, it would blow away any netbook out there if Apple would just trim about 1.5" of width by cutting off the bezel and smashing the keyboard flush with the edge of the computer like they did with the 12" PowerBook.

PaperNotes
Oct 27, 2008, 06:20 AM

What were you expecting? 8800 GT -> 9600 GT isn't that big of a change.

OTOH X3100 -> 9400M on the MB is huge.
You mean 8600 GT! I don't care about the discreet chip at all unless they can enable Geforce Boost.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
You mean 8600 GT!
Absolutely. Fixinated. Thanks for pointing that out.

PaperNotes
Oct 27, 2008, 02:42 PM

Absolutely. Fixinated. Thanks for pointing that out.
When it comes to gaming I await the Windows benchmarks anyway. Another review somewhere showed some oddity as if Geforce Boost was enabled in the stock Boot Camp driver. Shouldn't Boost be enabled anyway if one downloads latest drivers from Nvidia with the proper control panel utilities that Windows users get?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 04:16 AM

Some more benchmarks on the new MBPs.

USB2 vs. FW400 vs. FW800

OpenGL benchmarks: 9400M vs. 9600M GT on the new MBP

And a comparison between a 7200rpm 320 GB HDD and a 128 GB OCZ SSD on the new 2.8 GHz MBP:

INSIGHTS
The OCZ SSD maintained its transfer speed no matter how full the drive became. Conventional hard drives get significantly slower as the drive fills up. The Hitachi 7K320 we tested dropped from 75MB/s at 0% to 44MB/s at 90% capacity.
The 128GB OCZ Core Series SSD is faster than the 320GB Hitachi 7K320 HDD when it comes to both large sustained and small random READS. That's good news for booting, waking, and app launching.
We got mixed results on small random WRITES. Large sustained WRITES were slightly faster with the SSD, but random writes were about the same as the HDD (in the QuickBench test) and write transactions per second were much slower (in the DiskTester test).
There are multiple reports of "stutter" or hesitation during random writes. One source reported, "Current non-Intel MLC drives have a fatal flaw in that random writes of any magnitude or size will quickly cause second-level pauses while the controller attempts to complete the I/O request." Anandtech discusses this issue in an article about the X25-M from Intel. We find this report troubling. Depending on what kind of requirements you have, you might postpone dipping your toe in the SSD waters until the problem is addressed.
CONCLUSION
When you balance speed with price with capacity, with prices as low as $79 (after rebates), the Hitachi 7K320 HDD provides more bang for the buck than the OCZ (and similar) SSDs.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2008, 04:11 AM

Some more reports on RAM limits in the new MBPs.

'Late 2008' MacBook Pro supports up to 6GB of RAM.
When we put one 4G + one 2G module for a total of 6GB in our 2.8GHz MacBook Pro, it is happy as a clam. Everything runs fast and the full 6GB is accessible. And it releases the memory when you quit the app.
On the other hand, 8GB (4GB + 4GB) will NOT work very well. The MBP will see and use all 8GB for apps, but goes into molasses mode when you exceed 4GB of real memory usage. And it won't release the memory when you quit the "greedy" app.

http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules