Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 800MHz G3 Dual USB Problems

iBook 800MHz G3 Dual USB Problems
dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 21, 2009, 02:05 AM

My kids have an 800MHz iBook that the hard drive went bad in, probably had something to do with the fall off the bed, but....

I got a new drive, followed the instructions at iFixit, and went to putting an OS back on it. I tried iBook CD's to no avail, it never recognized the HD. I then tried a 10.0.x install CD I had laying around, to no avail.

I tried hooking it up to my iMac 2.0GHz 20" via target disk mode, but Panther doesn't work on Intel, so that didn't work, although I was able to use Disk Utility to format the iBook drive. I have an old 'colored' 500MHz iMac, but the FW is broken on it, or I could probably install it that way.

I finally got a copy of Panther, and after having to copy the CD to the HD, was able to then install it booting from CD drive. My problem is that when the first CD is finished, it wants to reboot the iBook, but it never actually reboots, it gets stuck on the grey Apple screen, I left it on a max of 2 hours once, figured it just wasn't gonna work. It mentions on the second go around, that I will need install CD #2, but I never get the option to use it.

Any ideas?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
May 23, 2009, 05:52 AM

Maybe a collision with a former firmware update that doesn't like the Panther revision on the install disk? How about trying Tiger (10.4)?
I have a similar phenomenon with my PBG4, I can only install from a generic 10.4 package DVD, not from the usual PB system disks...

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

macfix
May 23, 2009, 03:20 PM

Try rebooting manually after the first CD. Then insert cd#2.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2009, 11:10 AM

I will try to get a 10.4 CD from someone, never thought of that, I didn't use the computer past turning it on to see if it works, and got it used, so who knows, it did work 6 months or so though.

The only way I know to manually reboot is to hold the power button down, is there another way?

macfix
May 24, 2009, 11:39 AM

Holding down the power button is what I was thinking.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 04:45 PM

Any updates on this??
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules