Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does the New Ti Have Good External Monitor Support?

Does the New Ti Have Good External Monitor Support?
PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2001, 07:48 PM

Title says it all. I want to be able to run a monitor at a high resolution from my new TiBook (if I get it).
It's the devil's way now.

rsh
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 07:53 PM

1600x1200 without breaking a sweat, supposedly. Looks pretty sweet.

ToasterQuanta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 07:54 PM

According to Apple's PowerBook spec page:

- Support for dual display and video mirroring: Millions of colors on the built-in display and an external display at up to 1600 by 1200 pixels
- Support for a single external display: Millions of colors on a single external display at up to 1920 by 1440 pixels

Seems impressive!

GetSome681
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2001, 10:20 PM

does it have an s-video out? for connecting to a TV?

ToasterQuanta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 10:27 PM

Yup, it also has S-Video output.

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2001, 01:46 PM

Wow... most impressive. I'm sold.
It's the devil's way now.

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 07:31 PM

Does anyone know how to make it only display on an external monitor in Mac OS 9? I'm currently mirring the video, but I'd rather have more of the resources go towards the external monitor and have my TiBook screen off.

Thanks in advance.

-- dio / out

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2001, 07:43 PM

Supposedly the process is this (from an Apple TIL):
1. Place your PowerBook in sleep mode by closing the display.
2. Connect the power adapter and external monitor.
3. Connect an external Apple USB keyboard and mouse and the PowerBook will wake.
Personally, I have yet to get this to work on new 550, but running dual desktops is a peice of cake, and works very well, too.

In fact, it even works when doing dual displays in Final Cut Pro, which was a sticking point in the Rev. A TiBooks because (other sources say) there was never enough memory left over to do a QT acceleration buffer.

At any rate, I'm not too worried about it because I'm sure its a small bug that will get squashed along the way, or I'm just not reading closely enough.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2001, 08:22 PM

howdy,

does anyone know the max refresh rate for
extended desktop mode at 1024x768?

thx in advance

<sdfgsdfgsdfg>
Nov 8, 2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by direktor:
<STRONG>At any rate, I'm not too worried about it because I'm sure its a small bug that will get squashed along the way, or I'm just not reading closely enough.</STRONG>
As I've never done it, I can't be certain, but I remember reading that you need to press the power button on the keyboard, and possibly even shut it down, close it, and then start it up with the external keyboard.

Alex

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 11:26 PM

Well, all that does for me is wake up the powerbook screen with the lid closed, and then it goes back into sleep in about 5 seconds.

That sucks! I don't want to use any video memory on my powerbook screen... hehe. Is there anyway to e-mail apple about this?

Tomahawk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2001, 04:53 AM

For a long time it didn't work that way on my machine either. The simplest thing to do, and what even my roommates understand, is to start up the machine with the lid closed while it is connected to an external monitor. You can even use the power button on the PowerBook as long as you close the lid right away. This worked on both a Wallstreet and Pismo.

Good Luck

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2001, 07:55 AM

Indeed, it does. I figured it out.

You have either hit the power button (when it's completely off) and close the lid quickly, or do a restart from the Apple menu and close the lid when everything goes dark.

When it boots, it'll come up just with the external monitor live and no LCD. This is the hot ticket for playing 3D games on an external monitor, since you have all 16 megs available for the Radeon that way, instead of split into two 8 meg segments mentioned in an Apple developers tech sheet I read. To exit, you have to reboot again. No putting it to sleep and disconnecting; that won't work.

With my 19" Samsung 955DF, the highest res is 1792x1344 60hz. Absolutely rockin. 1600x1200 is completely usable.

Also, I note that the heat is a non-issue. I was worried about running it for extended periods lid closed (desktop-replacement style, just how I imagined), and it's coming through like a champ. The fan comes on for 3D games, but otherwise my it stays still, and lid and keyboard stay barely warm to the touch. Very impressive.

I tell you, as a desktop replacement, it's incredible so far. I can't tell that my old 400 Yikes isn't under the table. Disk access certainly isn't any faster, but I'll take care of that with a big new Travelstar soon enough.

oeyvind
Senior User
Nov 10, 2001, 08:26 AM

[DELETED]

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: oeyvind ]

oeyvind
Senior User
Nov 10, 2001, 08:28 AM

PowerBook G4 Gigabit does support up to 1920x1440 @ million colors (Single display mode) and 1600x1200 @ million colors (Dual mode), tried that on my 667 and a Sun CRT I have.

ATI Radeon Mobility kick ass! I love it, especially in Mac OS X!

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: oeyvind ]

Tomahawk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2001, 03:11 PM

Another note, once the machine is up and running you can open the lid again, this helps keep the heat down. My fan in my Pismo doesn't come on very often if I leave the lid open, it does come on every once in awhile with the lid closed though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules