Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sleep Kill Internet

Sleep Kill Internet
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2001, 01:07 PM

I'm running 10.0.4 on an iceBook with a campus ethernet connection, and if I put it to sleep at night I can't access the network when we (yes, we) wake up in the morning. Even if I reset my Network prefs and have my IP reassigned by the DHCP server I can't get anything, no internet, no campus servers, nothing. So far my only recourse has been to restart, which kinda defeats the purpose of sleep if you ask me. Any suggestions?

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Sep 24, 2001, 01:23 PM

what's the point of sleep anyway? just saving power? Or that it makes your computer sound more sympathetic if it uses biological terms like 'sleep'?
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2001, 05:04 PM

Well, if I just shut it down instead of putting it to sleep we could hardly be sleeping together, now could we?

Also, I like being able to close the lid, go to sleep, wake up, open the lid, check my email, instead of shut down, go to sleep, wake up, start up, take shower, log in, have to go to class, come back, check email. I could just set it to sleep the display and leave it like that, but since I have it on a shelf next to my bed it's nice to be able to close the lid so i can push it a little farther back.

Jadey
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2001, 11:09 PM

There is no fix for this (under the current OS). Putting your machine to sleep disables your network connection. You could put just your display to sleep.. that won't mess up your network.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2001, 11:54 PM

:sigh: That's what I was afraid of.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2001, 12:26 AM

Its not a bug, its a feature, meant to save power.

I too though would like greatly control over sleep functions. Like a list of options for what actually gets shutdown when the system sleeps.

<Ohyeahz>
Sep 25, 2001, 10:45 AM

Go in Network prefs and duplicate your settings but with another name. Use "Location" in the Apple menu to switch between the different network locations. So if Connection 1 is lost, switch to Connection 2, etc... It worked for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules