Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Some thoughts on England (after a trip there)

Some thoughts on England (after a trip there)
SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2002, 11:36 PM

I just got back to the US from a two week trip to England. I stayed in London and Newcastle Upon Tyne in the NE.

Some thoughts:

-Brits make awesome coffee and tea. I knew about the tea, but not the coffee. I've stopped drinking coffee since I got back in protest (believe it or not I don't live near a Starbuck's)
-cars are hilariously small there but gas is ridiculously expensive, like 70 pence (~$1) a litre.
-they have zilcho Mac stuff there and you can tell, they are not an artistic lot and have no Photoshop skillz. But I was in Harrods, and apparently they have an Apple section.
- British TV is way better than US TV IMHO. I actually stayed home and watched a night of telly for once. They have Sex in the City on the public channel (channel 5?)!!
- Hollywood movies are three months later over there mostly, but I did see Black Hawk Down (I guess cause the director Didley Squat is English) This explains the regions stuff with DVDs -you wouldn't want to release a DVD in the US at the same time it is showing theatrically in England.
-driving on the "other side" is quite easy.
-they have no idea about customer service in stores, restaurants and hotels (compared to the US) The level of attentiveness is really frustrating if you are used to american service. I think the brits will accept bad service if the price is cheap enough.
-they have a better sense of "humour" than americans. They don't take themselves as seriously.
- "Home and Away" is quite enthralling (shows my level of sophistication.)
- London cabs are the best in the world. The Knowledge rules! They know everwhere in the City -no questions asked...ever.
-Americans start to get funny accents if they live there long enough.
- they are crazy for cell phones over there, and the phones are better. I saw all kinds of reference to txt messaging on your phone, like everyone knows what that is. Oddly, if you steal a cell phone, you can use it, unlike in the US where it can get cancelled.
-didn't see one EURO the whole trip -disappointing.

That's all I can remember for now. Just my thoughts.
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2002, 11:55 PM

They also have a better night life.
It freaks me out that clubs and bars in Mass close at 2am. In European countries clubs are open until 5-6 am. 2am is just ridiculous. (In England, pubs close at eleven, which is a pitty as well, but clubs are open much longer)

Little bit off topic, I know..

:o

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2002, 11:58 PM

Good point. I wasn't out late this trip due to the kiddley-wink to look after, but I can remember clubbing on a previous trip (back when raves where getting popular in 1989.)

campagnolo
Feb 10, 2002, 12:08 AM

I'm just glad you're back, safe and sound. Now all the Britons can return to their peaceful way of life.
campagnolo = daimoni in bicycle mode...

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2002, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by SillyMonk:
<STRONG>Some thoughts:
- Hollywood movies are three months later over there mostly, but I did see Black Hawk Down </STRONG>
Jeez, how can they LIVE with that? Not like the US where they all go ballistic if the new Mac they ordered is 48 hours late on the "promised" delivery.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 02:41 AM

<STRONG>- London cabs are the best in the world. The Knowledge rules! They know everwhere in the City -no questions asked...ever.
</STRONG>
FYI, this is because there's actually a standard test that all cabbies MUST take (AND pass) before they can get a cab license.

This test includes knowing EVERY major street in the City of London, and how to get there from any other point.

Cabs that have dents or other physical damage are NOT allowed on the streets. If a cab gets in any kind of accident (even a simple fender-bender) the cab must be off the streets until it's repaired.

Oh, and cabbies must have good English communication skills.

Go figure.

<STRONG>- they are crazy for cell phones over there, and the phones are better. I saw all kinds of reference to txt messaging on your phone, like everyone knows what that is. Oddly, if you steal a cell phone, you can use it, unlike in the US where it can get cancelled.
</STRONG>
Cellphones in Europe (not just England) are generally GSM-based rather than one of the many competing (and non-compatible) standards found in the US (TDMA, CDMA, GPRS, UMTS, etc, etc.)
This also means that you can buy a phone in England and use it anywhere in Europe - from Ireland to Sweden to Greece or Spain.

Also, there is a much greater propensity of pre-paid cellphone plans where you buy x number of minutes, and can buy 'top-ups' at virtually every convenience store, supermarket, etc. (almost like pre-paid calling cards here). This means that if a cellphone does get lost or stolen, you're not going to get slammed with unauthorized calls - your only loss is the prepaid credit remaining on your phone.
Despite what you say, cellphones can be deactivated by the cellphone company, there's just less need for it.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Camelot ]
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2002, 05:53 AM

<STRONG>

-Brits make awesome coffee and tea. I knew about the tea, but not the coffee. I've stopped drinking coffee since I got back in protest (believe it or not I don't live near a Starbuck's)</STRONG>
So that is why they drink it all the time! Everytime I see a Brit on TV he needs to take his hourly tea break...

<STRONG>-cars are hilariously small there but gas is ridiculously expensive, like 70 pence (~$1) a litre..</STRONG>
They need to learn what it is like to drive a nice big LOUD and fast hunk of American steel.

<STRONG>-they have a better sense of "humour" than americans. They don't take themselves as seriously.</STRONG>
I am completely shocked that you think this. Did you actually watch a BRITISH show when you were there. Yes they do not take things as seriously but that is the problem. Everyone on their shows act like retarded monkeys. Mr Bean, Montey Python, those girls from Absolutely Fabulous Who else wants to kill the people who make those shows... The only good show to come out of England is Junkyard Wars. The show Tomorrow's World would be okay if it didn't Brits in it. (and didn't have that stupid baby in the intro )

<STRONG>- they are crazy for cell phones over there, and the phones are better. I saw all kinds of reference to txt messaging on your phone, like everyone knows what that is. Oddly, if you steal a cell phone, you can use it, unlike in the US where it can get cancelled.</STRONG>
Yes unfortunately in America we have such a huge area that we cannot deploy technology so soon and nobody wants to take the huge step to roll out this stuff across America ( which is like 80 time larger than GB and Japan ) to just have it be a flop. But don't worry we just got our new digital services here in the US last week I think it was so now we will finally get to have a lot of the things Europe has on their phones, but Japan still has a step up on everyone.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 08:38 AM

-Brits make awesome coffee and tea. I knew about the tea, but not the coffee. I've stopped drinking coffee since I got back in protest (believe it or not I don't live near a Starbuck's)
British coffee tastes like dishwater. It's as bad as your regular SeattleShit.
-cars are hilariously small there but gas is ridiculously expensive, like 70 pence (~$1) a litre.
I'm sorry, but cars in the US are hilariously large compared with the rest of the world. Petrol is expensive, like it should be.
-they have zilcho Mac stuff there and you can tell, they are not an artistic lot and have no Photoshop skillz. But I was in Harrods, and apparently they have an Apple section.
Open your eyes. In London there are many places that sell Apple, and very good ones too.
No photoshop skills? I'm sorry, but the UK is the top in graphic design. The quality of US print is very far behind.

- British TV is way better than US TV IMHO. I actually stayed home and watched a night of telly for once. They have Sex in the City on the public channel (channel 5?)!!
- Hollywood movies are three months later over there mostly, but I did see Black Hawk Down (I guess cause the director Didley Squat is English) This explains the regions stuff with DVDs -you wouldn't want to release a DVD in the US at the same time it is showing theatrically in England.
Hollywood may be later, but at least you get some quality stuff too from other countries
-driving on the "other side" is quite easy.
roads are to narrow though
-they have no idea about customer service in stores, restaurants and hotels (compared to the US) The level of attentiveness is really frustrating if you are used to american service. I think the brits will accept bad service if the price is cheap enough.
American service? Are you joking??? For me service is something different then a stupidly smiling blond wishing me a "happy breakfast".
-they have a better sense of "humour" than americans. They don't take themselves as seriously.
Nowhere in the world people take themselves so serious as in the US, especially when it's about "the great nation"
- "Home and Away" is quite enthralling (shows my level of sophistication.)
It's shite
- London cabs are the best in the world. The Knowledge rules! They know everwhere in the City -no questions asked...ever.
I agree, they are half the size of the US cabs, but you get 3 times the amount of legroom
-Americans start to get funny accents if they live there long enough.
Americans have funny accents anyway
- they are crazy for cell phones over there, and the phones are better. I saw all kinds of reference to txt messaging on your phone, like everyone knows what that is. Oddly, if you steal a cell phone, you can use it, unlike in the US where it can get cancelled.
you can cancel it by using quoting your IMEI number to your telephone provider
It's a pity they don't use the Euro in the UK, but most big shops have seperate Euro cashiers

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Camelot:
[QB]

Cellphones in Europe (not just England) are generally GSM-based rather than one of the many competing (and non-compatible) standards found in the US (TDMA, CDMA, GPRS, UMTS, etc, etc.)
This also means that you can buy a phone in England and use it anywhere in Europe - from Ireland to Sweden to Greece or Spain.

GPRS is just an add-on to GSM. In Italy for example the whole system is GSM-GPRS.
UMTS is going to take over in Europe next year (if they can get the new phones ready)

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 09:15 AM

The UK is not in on the whole � thing unfortunately.

agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Camelot:
<STRONG>Also, there is a much greater propensity of pre-paid cellphone plans where you buy x number of minutes, and can buy 'top-ups' at virtually every convenience store, supermarket, etc. (almost like pre-paid calling cards here). This means that if a cellphone does get lost or stolen, you're not going to get slammed with unauthorized calls - your only loss is the prepaid credit remaining on your phone.
Despite what you say, cellphones can be deactivated by the cellphone company, theres just less need for it.</STRONG>
The pre-pay phones are great for those on a low or fixed income, and kiddies alike. You don't buy minutes though, you purchase a fixed value of credit (eg �10, �20) and your calls are subject to the normal peak/off-peak calling charges, so the number of minutes varies. They are absolutely everywhere, a lot of schools have had to issue statements explicitly banning them from classrooms and the like.

But the major problem at the moment is cellphone theft. Stupid numbers of phones are being stolen every minute of every day, and despite what Camelot says, not all stolen phones can be blocked by the network. Vodafone and Cellnet (now O2 or something silly) do not currently have the infrastructure in place to allow this to happen easily. They claim its because their network infrastructure is much older than the other two main networks (Orange and One2One) and the necessary upgrades are complex and expensive to roll out. Vodafone and Cellnet have been getting completely panned in the consumer press recently for what is seen as not doing their bit to reduce mobile phone crime.

Oh and Sillymonk - glad you enjoyed your trip

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: agentz ]
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2002, 11:03 AM

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, this is because there's actually a standard test that all cabbies MUST take (AND pass) before they can get a cab license.

This test includes knowing EVERY major street in the City of London, and how to get there from any other point.

Cabs that have dents or other physical damage are NOT allowed on the streets. If a cab gets in any kind of accident (even a simple fender-bender) the cab must be off the streets until it's repaired.

Oh, and cabbies must have good English communication skills.

Go figure.

Yes! This is awesome! They call it "The Knowledge" and it rules. Plus as someone said the taxis are huge feeling.

As for the phones, a Brit just got sentenced to 4 years for cell phone theft. Apparently there is a lot of theft of phones. Now why would he steal something that is totally useless? Because it can't be cancelled. I watched a whole show on this issue, not all phones can be cancelled, as agentz pointed out.

tullamore, as for the telly, all those shows you mention are exports to America. Have you seen the shows that they don't export because they are too funny for american audiences? Don't get me wrong, my wife and child are american, but the Brits have a more developed sense of "humour."

And M�lum, I'm sorry that I offended you and made you angry. I will repent and re-evaluate all my opinions from now on (and i wiil only drink french coffee and smoke french cigarettes.)

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
<STRONG>

The UK is not in on the whole � thing unfortunately.</STRONG>
Make that equal thank God.. Euros? Eat Dog Shit....

I am starting to feel hungry Euro's IMHO and Eddie George (Head of the Bank of England) think it's a bad idea...

Its weaker currency and taxes are no longer run in your interests (Your country) but the EU.

Anyway thats a little OT so...

I agree about most thinks but remember all Apple devices are designed by a British person. Jonny Ive..

Cheers Edd

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 12:04 PM

<STRONG>quote:

And M�lum, I'm sorry that I offended you and made you angry. I will repent and re-evaluate all my opinions from now on (and i wiil only drink french coffee and smoke french cigarettes.) </STRONG>
French coffee is dishwater too. The only people who know how to brew a good cup of coffee are the Italians and the Belgiums.

French sigarets stink.

campagnolo
Feb 10, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>

French coffee is dishwater too. The only people who know how to brew a good cup of coffee are the Italians and the Belgiums.</STRONG>
Uh... perhaps the only people you know, M�lum.

Come out to the Bay Area in Northern California... and I'll personally show you how to brew a good cup of coffee.

Or you can just drop by a Peets Coffee in the area.
http://www.peets.com/

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by campagnolo:
<STRONG>

Uh... perhaps the only people you know, M�lum.

Come out to the Bay Area in Northern California... and I'll personally show you how to brew a good cup of coffee.

Or you can just drop by a Peets Coffee in the area.
http://www.peets.com/</STRONG>
it was a generic comment, to be interpreted in a generic way.
I know some places in the UK where you can get great coffee too...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2002, 02:17 PM

Believe it or not, there is a whole wide world outside middle America.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2002, 05:58 PM

<STRONG>
tullamore, as for the telly, all those shows you mention are exports to America. Have you seen the shows that they don't export because they are too funny for american audiences? Don't get me wrong, my wife and child are american, but the Brits have a more developed sense of "humour."</STRONG>
Well actually a lot of shows on PBS and TLC and networks like that are from the BBC. Plus most of America get the BBC if they chose to ever watch it. One more show I do like is Whose Line is it Anyways.

Have you ever watched anything about Brits driving on TV. They can't drive any better than a two year old could. I remember watching one show featuring a Brit girl who would only make left turns because it scared her to make a right turn. So to make a right turn she would have to make three lefts. When she gets lost it takes her hours to get home because she is an idiot. I have never seen a good driver except for those who are actually racers.

It's probably a good thing they don't have American cars over there everyone would be dead.

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2002, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
<STRONG>Believe it or not, there is a whole wide world outside middle America.</STRONG>
I'm not sure who you are commenting to, but seeing as I started the thread I'll assume it was me. If it wasn't to me, but to someone else in this thread, let me say:

p1ss off!

If it was to me, then I have no clue what you are talking about.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by tullamore:
<STRONG>
Have you ever watched anything about Brits driving on TV. They can't drive any better than a two year old could. I remember watching one show featuring a Brit girl who would only make left turns because it scared her to make a right turn. So to make a right turn she would have to make three lefts. When she gets lost it takes her hours to get home because she is an idiot. I have never seen a good driver except for those who are actually racers.

It's probably a good thing they don't have American cars over there everyone would be dead.</STRONG>
Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I would say that overall, the younger drivers over here are trained to a much higher level than in the US. I remember speaking to my US friend who had just passed her test, and it was stupidly easy by comparison.

AJ

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2002, 08:26 PM

<STRONG>I just got back to the US from a two week trip to England. I stayed in London and Newcastle Upon Tyne in the NE.
Some thoughts:
-cars are hilariously small there but gas is ridiculously expensive, like 70 pence (~$1) a litre.</STRONG>
Went to London, England last year. Perfect vacation, weather was sunny and in the 80's. No rain. This is me next to a Cooper...

Loved England and it's people. Want to go back sooon. Those cars are great too. Got a lift in one and they were roomy (I'm 5' 11") and got great gas milege. Heard they may be coming to our shores this year?

campagnolo
Feb 10, 2002, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by anarkisst:
<STRONG>

Went to London, England last year. Perfect vacation, weather was sunny and in the 80's. No rain. This is me next to a Cooper...

Loved England and it's people. Want to go back sooon. Those cars are great too. Got a lift in one and they were roomy (I'm 5' 11") and got great gas milege. Heard they may be coming to our shores this year?</STRONG>
Dude, they used to race Mini Cooper's down the peninsula (of the Bay Area) back in the '60's... my uncles told me about it. And I still see Mini's on the road today... especially in the South Bay and in and around San Francisco.

A good friend of mine has a Mini Cooper (she inherited it from her father)... that thing is pretty fun to drive! The split clutch/brake pedal(s) are a bit small, though.

The new BMW/Mini Cooper isn't coming to our shores for a while. Until then, check out: http://www.minimania.com/ClassDealers.cfm

curmi
Senior User
Feb 10, 2002, 09:37 PM

<STRONG>
- "Home and Away" is quite enthralling (shows my level of sophistication.)</STRONG>
"Home and Away" is actually Australian. Couldn't you tell by the accents? Australian soaps are very popular in England - not sure why.

Pauline
Feb 10, 2002, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by curmi:
<STRONG>

"Home and Away" is actually Australian. Couldn't you tell by the accents? Australian soaps are very popular in England - not sure why.</STRONG>
Teen agnst in the sun is so much more fun to watch than our versions set in the lovely British weather That's how my firends little sister puts it anyway.
Powerbook G4 1Ghz | 1 GB Ram | 60 GB

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2002, 10:17 PM

<STRONG>

I'm not sure who you are commenting to, but seeing as I started the thread I'll assume it was me. If it wasn't to me, but to someone else in this thread, let me say:

p1ss off!

If it was to me, then I have no clue what you are talking about.</STRONG>
Ummm....i hate to break it to you, but i wasnt being hostile. I just wanted to point out that there is in fact a world outside the fly-over-states. And you talking all cokney dosent exactly make you an international man of mystery.

Cheers.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2002, 10:18 PM

England doesn't use Euros. They're quite content with their money being worth more than everyone else'.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by curmi:
<STRONG>

"Home and Away" is actually Australian. Couldn't you tell by the accents? Australian soaps are very popular in England - not sure why.</STRONG>

Yes it's Australian! Just like Neighbours! All the best soaps are from Down Under! I meant that it was popular in England and I haven't seen it in the U.S. (as I have never seen Neighbours here either.)

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2002, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
<STRONG>

Ummm....i hate to break it to you, but i wasnt being hostile. I just wanted to point out that there is in fact a world outside the fly-over-states. And you talking all cokney dosent exactly make you an international man of mystery.

Cheers.</STRONG>
Heh. Fly-over-states? cokney? You mean cockney I assume. I have no clue what you are talking about. You must be in a bad mood.

-Austin Powers

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2002, 11:45 PM

Nice comeback

talisker
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 05:15 AM

[QB]quote:

As for the phones, a Brit just got sentenced to 4 years for cell phone theft. Apparently there is a lot of theft of phones. Now why would he steal something that is totally useless? Because it can't be cancelled. I watched a whole show on this issue, not all phones can be cancelled, as agentz pointed out.

QB]
That was true until last week. Two of the phone networks (BT Cellnet and Vodaphone) were holding out and not putting in place the systems to cancel stolen phones. They have now relented, so that now if a phone is stolen it can be cancelled and not used on any network.

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by talisker:
<STRONG>

That was true until last week. Two of the phone networks (BT Cellnet and Vodaphone) were holding out and not putting in place the systems to cancel stolen phones. They have now relented, so that now if a phone is stolen it can be cancelled and not used on any network.</STRONG>
That's cool. Apparently people were being mugged and punched for their phones....what a terrible ordeal to go through for something as mundane as a cell phone. Of course the phone companies like this new way because more phones are bought, and the insurance companies pay out less, as less phones get nicked, theorectically.

I've had two family members mugged at gunpoint in the last month (seperate instances) and one of them had her car stolen, she is only sixteen and had a gun pointed at her head! Sickening.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2002, 12:41 PM

!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Feb 12, 2017 at 01:03 PM. )

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2002, 02:21 PM

Okay maybe someone could explain a theory I have on why British TV is so bad. And why is everyone talking about Sex in the City, that is not British.

I have noticed that all the British shows even the news casts on BBC look like crap. It looks like everything was filmed with a home camcorder. Is this:

A. Because the Brits are too cheap to buy a standard broadcast level camera.

B. GB uses PAL format and the colors and clearity is lost in the conversion to NTSC. (I don't know if you guys use PAL but it was a guess)

agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 02:41 PM

Tullamore - yup we use PAL (I was always told that PAL was Picture Always Lousy, wheras NTSC was Never Twice the Same Colour).

As for the BMW Mini here's a couple of pics for y'all:

The Official New Mini website

I'm still undecided about it, but one thing I will say is that I'm seeing an awful lot of them on the roads around here and they do look better in the metal than they do in the pics.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: agentz ]
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by tullamore:
<STRONG>Okay maybe someone could explain a theory I have on why British TV is so bad. And why is everyone talking about Sex in the City, that is not British.

I have noticed that all the British shows even the news casts on BBC look like crap. It looks like everything was filmed with a home camcorder. Is this:

A. Because the Brits are too cheap to buy a standard broadcast level camera.

B. GB uses PAL format and the colors and clearity is lost in the conversion to NTSC. (I don't know if you guys use PAL but it was a guess)</STRONG>

There must be something with the conversion to the inferior NTSC system from PAL as I never noticed any flaws in UK TV screen quality, actually the quality of the image is superiour as many documentaries etc are filmed on film, not on video.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2002, 02:51 PM

!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Feb 12, 2017 at 01:02 PM. )

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2002, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by agentz:
<STRONG>Tullamore - yup we use PAL (I was always told that PAL was Picture Always Lousy, wheras NTSC was Never Twice the Same Colour).

I'm still undecided about it, but one thing I will say is that I'm seeing an awful lot of them on the roads around here and they do look better in the metal than they do in the pics.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: agentz ]</STRONG>
I don't care what Ca$h says...I WANT THAT CAR!

SillyMonk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Simon X:
<STRONG>
- No way. In London at least there are a few large Mac places. In Tottenham Court Road, which is gadget nirvana, there is the one of the largest Mac dealers in the UK, MicroAnvika. Bit overpriced but within walking distance from each other they have 4 stores! Plenty of Mac mail order businesses as well.
And as for no artistic and PhotoShop skills, man your way out. I always acknowledge the talents of others but this is one area we de excel. The UK's publishing and graphic design talent is up there with the best of them. Our magazines, for example, look far better than anything I've seen elsewhere. (And the ads don't interfere with the layout). And our TV graphics are for more subtle and less garish.
The rest of Europe also has some top graphic designers too. Some of the Scandinavian designers are up there with the best as well.

It was nice to here what others think about us. Generally on the mark.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Simon X ]</STRONG>
Okay, you got me. I planted that photoshop comment to get some replies... My wife bought a New Statesman magazine and it had this poodle (representing Briton) biting an ankle (the US) but the dog's teeth and flags looked so bad that I made this rash and too quick judegement. I take it back.

I'm glad that there are Macs there as well.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2002, 08:29 PM

!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Feb 12, 2017 at 01:01 PM. )

talisker
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2002, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by agentz:
<STRONG>Tullamore - yup we use PAL (I was always told that PAL was Picture Always Lousy, wheras NTSC was Never Twice the Same Colour).

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: agentz ]</STRONG>
What's surprising, and disappointing, about the new Mini is just how big it is. I think it's probably a bit of an optical illusion brought about by the design, but it looks almost as large as say a Golf or Peugeot 206. In other words, it's just not Mini sized! If you see an old and new Mini beside each other it's almost laughable. Overstyled inside as well I would say.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2002, 06:08 AM

When the prototype of the new mini was presented, I loved it and filled in their form "would you like this car to go in production?"
It's the same reaction I had with the new Beetle.

And it's maybe because of the new Beetle, which I now find a useless car, that I think the new mini is too much of a fashion statement to become a new classic.

I don't know why, but there is something wrong with this car, although it has all the right details etc.

It could end like the new Beetle; good start but then very low sales.

argod
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2002, 05:07 PM

Only thing I am impressed by in British TV is Mishal Husain.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>
It could end like the new Beetle; good start but then very low sales.
</STRONG>
The new Mini Is nothing like the new Beetle.
The Beetle was/is just a VW Golf with fancy exterior panel work.
The Mini on the other hand 100% new BMW. Every motoring journalist has loved everything about the Mini to.

onefinger68
Banned
Feb 12, 2002, 06:39 PM

You forgot that you can smoke Marijuana over there.

- Ca$h

M�lum
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>

The new Mini Is nothing like the new Beetle.
The Beetle was/is just a VW Golf with fancy exterior panel work.
The Mini on the other hand 100% new BMW. Every motoring journalist has loved everything about the Mini to.</STRONG>
Maybe I was talking STYLING, maybe?

btw what's wrong with the Golf underpinning? I think bmw can learn a bit from VW. Their 3 series compact is NOT very exciting.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2002, 08:13 PM

If you can believe it, this post is NOT about cars!

I have a book recommendation: I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson. Bryson was raised in Iowa, moved to England for twenty years, married and had children, and upon his return to the US wrote a weekly column for a newspaper on America. This book is a compilation of many of those columns. Bryson is very funny (I laughed my ass off on a number of occations) yet his points are well-grounded. I would recommend it to everyone, especially those comparing England and the US.

I've been to England only once, but I must say that the chicks there were amazing! Absolutely incredible! I could ramble on in detail but I'll spare you. Besides, it's dinner time.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2002, 08:47 PM

From someone living in the UK...

Mobile phones really are everywhere. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't got one. My girlfriends cousins, who are 7 and 9 years old, both have mobile phones. (wtf?) I got talking to an American guy in a pub in London recently, he was amazed at how small my phone is (its a Nokia 8210, very average). A friend of ours was just mugged for her phone, right ouside her front door.

You see quite a lot of Macs around. Apple ads are regularly on tv. I went in to an Apple shop in Nottinham to check out the new iMac, but they hadn't received one yet...

Weed becomes 'decriminalised' in a couple of months.

Oh yeah, "not a very artistic lot"?..... that hurts...
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2002, 09:03 PM

!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Feb 12, 2017 at 01:09 PM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2002, 12:40 AM

I probably shouldn't mention this but I've been on Home & Away.

And yes - it is crap.

argod
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Simon X:
<STRONG>

Oh yes, she's hot, damn hot. Business News never looked so good.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Simon X ]</STRONG>
Here in the US, we get the World News from her not Business news.
Sadly there is not much info of her on the Web. What is her ethnic background besides being a muslim.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: argod ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules