Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Multiple HD's in Mac Pro & Time Machine

Multiple HD's in Mac Pro & Time Machine
confuzedwizard
Sep 23, 2006, 08:00 AM

If I order a new MacPro with 2 Hard Drives, do 2 hard disk icons show up on your desktop? How does this work exactly?

If 2 icons showed up, i would dedicate 1 of them to 'backed up' stuff i.e, Time Machine. Am i correct in thinking that we have to dedicate a space for the Time Machine data to be stored? It would be silly to put time machine data on the hard disk i currently use because if the system crashes and i lose my hd, then i lose all my time machine data. so getting 2 hard drives is better?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 08:29 AM

Yes, 2 hard drive are needed. You can't backup your data to the drive it's already on.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 08:30 AM

If you have two hard drives in your Mac two hard drives will show up on your desktop.

A backup should be on another hard disk for the reason you describe. If there is a hard disk failure a backup on the same disk would be useless.

Time Machine will not make an off-site backup unnecessary. There is still the risk of fire, power surge etc. Backups on optical media in a safe deposit box are a good idea in my opinion.

confuzedwizard  (op)
Sep 23, 2006, 04:22 PM

so if i was to order a new MacPro, would it be smart to get 3 hard drives.

1st for my OS X operating system
2nd for Time Machine
3rd for Vista Operating System?

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 05:38 PM

I think you might be able to take the Time Machine hard drive and share it with Vista if you partition it into 2 sections, but I am not positive.
This signature is obsolete.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 05:43 PM

You probably would want the biggest drive to be the Time Machine drive. You can partition the main drive and install OS X and Windows on it. 3 drives are good as well of course.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 10:31 PM

Do we even know how time machine will work? I realize they said a second drive... but we really don't know the specifics.

confuzedwizard  (op)
Sep 24, 2006, 07:26 AM

does anyone know how loud the computer is with 3 drives in it? 3 drives with fans.... might be loud.

also, lets suppose my computer hd crashes and i lose all my programs, data, music, picts....everything.
Time Machine can restore all that stuff.....or does it simply remember certain files?

is it truly a backup like dragging all your folders to an external HD?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by confuzedwizard
does anyone know how loud the computer is with 3 drives in it? 3 drives with fans.... might be loud.
Take a trip to the Mac Pro forum. The general consensus is that they're near silent.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by confuzedwizard
also, lets suppose my computer hd crashes and i lose all my programs, data, music, picts....everything.
Time Machine can restore all that stuff.....or does it simply remember certain files?
Time Machine backs up everything including system and applications. I suggest you read about it here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html

That's everything we know about it too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules