Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Memory for Powerbook G4... i need some advice

New Memory for Powerbook G4... i need some advice
gin8u
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 06:45 PM

so, i currently have 512 mb in my 4th gen. Powerbook G4 17" screen. I am planning to buy 1gb memory card and install it in the extra slot.

now when i check my current memory card specs it says:

In the PowerBookG4_17inch 1.67GHz UserGuide (found from the Apple site) says:

which one should i believe?
im planning to buy memory from Kingston.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 06:49 PM

As far as I can see, neither of those Screen Shots conflict.
Linkinus is king.

gin8u  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 06:53 PM

well in my mind...
so why is one named "PC2-4200s-444" (DDR2) and the other one is "PC 2700 DDR 333 type RAM" ??

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2007, 07:25 PM

You pulled up the wrong userguide. There are two different revisions of the 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook. One uses DDR333 the other uses DDR2-533 (although it only runs it at 333Mhz... ). You need to buy DDR2 for your PowerBook.

gin8u  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You pulled up the wrong userguide. There are two different revisions of the 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook. One uses DDR333 the other uses DDR2-533 (although it only runs it at 333Mhz... ). You need to buy DDR2 for your PowerBook.
i had read somewhere else that it did not matter where i buy the slower DDR-333 or the faster DDR2-533.
did you install the DDR2-533 in your machine?
as long as it works, i'll be happy.

gin8u  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 09:14 PM

well i finally settled on that issue of using DDR2 instead of DDR.

but...
i have a different problem, i had told myself that i was going to go and buy a 1g Kingston chip for $174 CDN. I thought it was a bit expensive, but i trust Kingston. What I found out is that Kingston chips have problems with the 4th gen. PB (or so i read many times). so i kept on reading about user's comments and Crucial (and Samsung) seemed to come up as a positive way to go.. I found some on ebay for 2x1gb for close to $150 (almost $200CDN)... but im worried of the possibility of it not working will i be able to return it or exchange?... or does it depend on the seller ?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by gin8u View Post
i had read somewhere else that it did not matter where i buy the slower DDR-333 or the faster DDR2-533.
did you install the DDR2-533 in your machine?
as long as it works, i'll be happy.
It does matter. Most PowerPC Macs tend to be very picky about their memory.

Originally Posted by gin8u View Post
well i finally settled on that issue of using DDR2 instead of DDR.

but...
i have a different problem, i had told myself that i was going to go and buy a 1g Kingston chip for $174 CDN. I thought it was a bit expensive, but i trust Kingston. What I found out is that Kingston chips have problems with the 4th gen. PB (or so i read many times). so i kept on reading about user's comments and Crucial (and Samsung) seemed to come up as a positive way to go.. I found some on ebay for 2x1gb for close to $150 (almost $200CDN)... but im worried of the possibility of it not working will i be able to return it or exchange?... or does it depend on the seller ?
Depends on the seller... are you willing to gamble?

I'd just cough up the cash and buy from Crucial directly... they guarantee compatibility.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 11:41 AM

Fortunately for you DDR2 modules are much cheaper than DDR modules. However, they aren't compatible with each other. I've been very pleased with Crucial and Kingston in the past, and I remember reading reports that Crucial backs their products with Mac compatibility (there was an issue where they even took back RAM from a customer and replaced it with another product model they found to work with Macs).

Forum Links
Forum Rules