Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard apps not accepting password

Leopard apps not accepting password
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 12:48 AM

When an application that needs administrative rights pops open the password window that requires both the name of the user and the password for my account "Tyler McAdams" it is not accepting the password and or username.

The funny thing is when an app asks just for the password is accepts the password and grants access... via sudo... etc

There is some kind of bug that is causing the application to not like my user name fir some reason.... I've tried to change it several times and it likes none of the user names I change it to.

Anybody know what's going on?

Edit: Seems my user account somehow got switched to "standard". Now I have no administrator account on my computer... How can I get by this?
( Last edited by Tyre MacAdmin; Nov 21, 2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: grammar)

Cold Warrior
Nov 21, 2007, 09:55 AM

you could enable root, log in as the root user, and then create a new admin user, then migrate your old ~/ stuff over.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2007, 11:01 AM

That is a wild problem -- i had something similar to this but it was giving my a "what is my name" prompt at the command line (totally weird). Enable root -- easy way is to go to your terminal and type: sudo passwd root and give it a password. And then from there, you can either login to the gui as root or you can do some fancy command line goodness do create a user using dscl (all standard warnings here. you've been warned!).

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 12:39 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 02:06 PM

Yeah, this is a problem that crops up after an upgrade to 10.5 when you haven't changed your password since the days of 10.2. My wife's machine went through the same problem.

Download and install 10.5.1 or the Login and Keychain update. Additionally, you will have to repair your account by invoking a command via single user mode. Let me know when you get that far and I'll point you to the Apple KB document with teh command you'll need.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
you could enable root, log in as the root user, and then create a new admin user, then migrate your old ~/ stuff over.
How can I enable root? I Still need the username and password for Directory Utility.

i did manage to get my user in the sudoers group by logging in from a Tiger partition and editing the sudoers file.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yeah, this is a problem that crops up after an upgrade to 10.5 when you haven't changed your password since the days of 10.2. My wife's machine went through the same problem.

Download and install 10.5.1 or the Login and Keychain update. Additionally, you will have to repair your account by invoking a command via single user mode. Let me know when you get that far and I'll point you to the Apple KB document with teh command you'll need.
Well I'm ready for that command for single user mode... thx

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Ok these instructions fixed the problem... thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules