Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Someone fell asleep at the wheel with the new Dock

Someone fell asleep at the wheel with the new Dock
nickw311
Senior User
Nov 20, 2007, 05:48 PM

Why does it take up 1 icon space to tell me that there is 1 more program available?

Why not just show me that 1 program.

grrrr...
27" iMac C2D

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 06:36 PM

I love the dock, but don't get the Grid view. Instead, I should be able to use the scroll wheel of my mouse to scroll through the contents of the folder in "Fan" view.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 06:46 PM

Because it would need 2 more icons: one for that app and one to open the folder in Finder.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 07:18 PM

Its not prefect, it needs to wrap over item titles too.

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 08:34 PM

Why does the Dock not just open the window in the Finder for that folder, and use the standard finder views? Why add yet-another-view (and an awful one at that - whats with all the '...' everywhere)?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 20, 2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Instead, I should be able to use the scroll wheel of my mouse to scroll through the contents of the folder in "Fan" view.
That would be cool.
( Last edited by ghporter; Nov 20, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote - you left out a ']')

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2007, 11:15 PM

I actually like the grid view, but I'm in the minority on that one.

If fan view could scroll I may have given it a chance, but it would still be more work to scroll through than to just have the majority of my apps show up in grid view (and downloads and documents)

But like the idea of having fan view scrollable, if grid view could do the same, then there would be no problem with 1 app (or a few apps) being outside its maximum available space.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Why does it take up 1 icon space to tell me that there is 1 more program available?
Why not just show me that 1 program.
grrrr...
Because then there wouldn't be a link to open the folder in the Finder.

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Its not prefect, it needs to wrap over item titles too.
If you hover the mouse over them they show the full title.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2007, 12:56 AM

What would be real nice, is if Apple or someone would bring back the ability to go deeper than one level when clicking on a folder in grid view. Aside from that and a few other quirks, the new dock in 2D mode suits me fine.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 01:24 AM

Maybe if you remove that stray package in there that would sort it out for you

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I love the dock, but don't get the Grid view. Instead, I should be able to use the scroll wheel of my mouse to scroll through the contents of the folder in "Fan" view.
Yikes, that's a shockingly simple and good idea.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 11:09 AM

I guess most people don't take the time to organize their Applications folder. But I agree with the OP, of course.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by silver View Post
What would be real nice, is if Apple or someone would bring back the ability to go deeper than one level when clicking on a folder in grid view. Aside from that and a few other quirks, the new dock in 2D mode suits me fine.
Here y'are! HierarchicalDock. It's not quite what you're after but I'm sure a few people here will appreciate it.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks Geobunny, that's a close second to what I was looking for. What I was really looking for is a way so that, when I click on a folder while in grid view a finder windows doesn't open up instead the folder is opened in grid view also.

Earlier beta builds of Leopard had this feature, e.g. click on stacked applications folder- grid view opens showing contents of folder - click on utilities folder - grid view opens showing contents of utilities folder. I really liked that, but sadly now when we want to drill down stacked folders in grid view a finder window opens up. If this was still implemented then imo people would have a much easier time dealing without the hierarchical menus we all loved in prior OS X releases.

Here's to hoping that we can turn it back on in some hidden .plist.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2007, 01:13 PM

I would love to get rid of the dock look and go withthe "clear dock" look I had with Tiger with usiong "Unsanity Clear Dock" which when I last looked, it was not working with Leopard. The new dock looks nice but don't care for the reflection of windows in the dock.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 02:05 PM

You know you can change it to a 2D dock, right?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Nov 24, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by silver View Post
Thanks Geobunny, that's a close second to what I was looking for. What I was really looking for is a way so that, when I click on a folder while in grid view a finder windows doesn't open up instead the folder is opened in grid view also.

Earlier beta builds of Leopard had this feature, e.g. click on stacked applications folder- grid view opens showing contents of folder - click on utilities folder - grid view opens showing contents of utilities folder. I really liked that, but sadly now when we want to drill down stacked folders in grid view a finder window opens up. If this was still implemented then imo people would have a much easier time dealing without the hierarchical menus we all loved in prior OS X releases.

Here's to hoping that we can turn it back on in some hidden .plist.
I have that same problem. I wish that when I clicked on a folder in fan view it would fan out again on the side. I don't like opening a finder window.

Maybe it will be added later.
27" iMac C2D

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 04:17 PM

I like the Stacks feature - I find it a handy way of getting to the most recent couple of items added to a folder.
And you do know that you can drag a file out of a stack and drop it on other icons, apps, trash, etc., yes?

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2007, 04:36 AM

I wish there was a Sort by... "Most used" or "Last opened" option. That would actually make the stacks more useful by keeping those things most frequently accessed on top. At least that's *one thing* Apple could have stolen from Windows XP/Vista to pay them back for all the nifty idea that have gone the opposite direction.

Having Applications as a stack is useless to me otherwise without this option -- unless I take the time to manually touch all the applications with fake modified dates in order of which ones I use most. Thank God for Quicksilver and Spotlight!

The Stacks are also just plain ugly without the "trick" of putting transparent bins in the top of every stack folder. And without being able to dig down, it promotes the bad habit of not organizing your documents folder into sub-folders, for example.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules