Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch Upgrade to Cost $20?!

iPod Touch Upgrade to Cost $20?! (Page 2)
Thread Tools
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2008, 11:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I wouldn't be so upset if they would have charged the iPhone users the same as they do us Touch users. To give them a free update and us touch uses have to pay stinks but guess I will be spending the money.
But it isn't free for iPhone users. Apple gets kickbacks from AT&T for data usage. Apple doesn't get that with the iTouch, so there's no way to subsidize continued app development. That's why iTouch users have to pay.

Same deal with TV. Apple will get a cut of the movie rental dollars, so Apple makes money by giving the new "Take 2" software for free to current TV owners. Get it?
     
synapse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2008, 11:27 PM
 
The update will become free. They credit if you call. Be nice about it though because for the most part the customer service people were caught off guard. The mistake was adding this package to new product. They should of made it an option for everyone on i-tunes.

-synapse
     
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2008, 11:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Apple doesn't get that with the iTouch, so there's no way to subsidize continued app development. That's why iTouch users have to pay.

But that isn't the case which is why your argument is baseless.
If you purchase a Touch tomorrow there will be no fee to have those applications. Its not as if its a new feature all Touch owners must pay, just the ones who bought one since the introduction. That is the issue.

Furthermore, there is no need to subsidize applications that were made 9 months ago and with the SDK coming Apple won't be churning out the majority of applications from here on out anyway.
iPod hardware sales fuel the development of future iPods and their OS.
If Apple felt the need to generate more money for software dev then it would be a universally imposed fee on all Touch owners.

Even if this was for some accounting purpose there was no reason to jack the fee up to $20 when it could have easily been a small fraction of that.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2008, 11:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by passmaster16 View Post
Personally I have Verizon because it's the only service that works half decently near me. An iPhone/AT&T doesn't do much for me, but I'd still like an iPod with some PDA features which is why I purchased the iPod Touch.
I am in the exact same boat as you. I'm going to call and talk to Apple tomorrow. Which number should I call?
     
butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by passmaster16 View Post
Agreed, though every time there's a discussion about the iPod Touch, he has to tell us how the device is not meant to be like the iPhone. Now I'm sure the fact that he owns an iPhone has absolutely nothing to do with his position. Some of us don't own iPhones, not because we can't afford them, but because for one reason or another we don't want them. Personally I have Verizon because it's the only service that works half decently near me. An iPhone/AT&T doesn't do much for me, but I'd still like an iPod with some PDA features which is why I purchased the iPod Touch.
You may have bought an iPod touch with those expectations, but Apple didn't market the iPod touch with those intentions. I can understand why not everyone has an iPhone, and I can understand why people would then think that buying an iPod touch is almost like buying the same thing. But my point is, Apple clearly didn't not see things the way that most customers did. I only say that the iPod touch isn't meant to be a phone-less iPhone when people are (basically) screeching at Apple over the discrepancy between the iPhone and the iPod touch.

As for charging money, the reason for that is clear. However, the money is being charged for those 4 apps, not compatibility with the SDK. You'll still get the 1.1.3 update, you just won't get those 4 apps unless you pony up $20. Apple could have charged less, yes, but as for why they choose $20, only the people at Apple would know.

This mirrors the 802.11n situation a lot. When a new Mac was released after the patch was offered for $2, the Mac had n enabled by default, whereas owners of computers prior to the default enabling of 802.11n still had to pay $2. Because that was already accounted for. Those 4 apps are accounted for in all iPod touches sold after today, which is why those users don't need to pay the extra $20.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB
     
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: With my kitties!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 12:08 AM
 
I just bought a Touch on January 1, and know I'd be within the 14 day return period when Macworld hit. I just got off the phone with an Apple rep who set me up so I will get a full credit for the new software.
     
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston, Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 12:12 AM
 
You can't just whitewash it by blaming it on the SOX act. Apple could have easily done to the Touch what they did with the iPhone as far as accounting procedures go and be able to provide that update. It's a money grab, pure and simple. They're charging $20, not ~$5 like the 802.11N update.

What happens when that SDK is released? Do I have to pay $10 to get the ability to install applications? That's not a "feature" right now right?
     
butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 12:26 AM
 
The ability to install applications is part of 1.1.3, I would presume. It seems that the $20 is just for the 5 applications.

You don't pay any form of subscription costs (that go into Apple's accounting systems) for iPod touch use. How can they do with the iPod touch what they do with the iPhone's accounting procedures?
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB
     
juusan
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 12:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
The update will become free. They credit if you call. Be nice about it though because for the most part the customer service people were caught off guard. The mistake was adding this package to new product. They should of made it an option for everyone on i-tunes.
what # did you call?
( Last edited by juusan; Jan 16, 2008 at 12:41 AM. )
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
     
synapse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 12:46 AM
 
I called regular customer service.
     
juusan
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 12:47 AM
 
the really obnoxious thing is that if you bought your ipod AFTER christmas, they will upgrade you for free. I call bulsh*t on that. excluding the vast numbers of people who received an ipod for christmas is REALLY shady.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
     
juusan
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
I called regular customer service.
talked to them as well and received no love. will call again tomorrow to see if anything's changed.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 01:14 AM
 
I think this is a real kick in the nuts. I understand that Apple has never guaranteed updates and that you don't get anything for free... and they don't "owe" us anything... blah blah blah...

It doesn't change the way people feel when they learn the news. The iPod Touch is expensive, and for Apple to have the nerve to turn around and demand cash for a simple upgrade like this is insulting. It's this kind of action that adds up and cause a lot of ill will.

It's not like this is going to make them a significant amount of money. It's just going to annoy and aggravate a chunk of their customers. Not sure what they hope to accomplish by doing that.

At any rate, if it's a legal reason... I don't understand why the Apple TV would be considered a subscription device over the iPod Touch. The iPod has a built in ITMS download button. We get significant upgrades to our OS for free. Apple gives away all sorts of stuff for free, so what's the deal?

I don't even own an iPod touch, but it's stuff like this that makes me weary of buying products like this from Apple. I think it does them more good in the long run to try and keep everyone as happy as possible, rather then nickel and dime us to death.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 02:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
If you purchase a Touch tomorrow there will be no fee to have those applications. Its not as if its a new feature all Touch owners must pay, just the ones who bought one since the introduction. That is the issue.
By that logic, Apple owes everyone a free copy of Leopard, 'cause new Mac buyers get it "free."
Furthermore, there is no need to subsidize applications that were made 9 months ago and with the SDK coming Apple won't be churning out the majority of applications from here on out anyway.
Uh, these apps are upgraded. Maps was rewritten for the location feature. And, Apple has to pay fees to that company which provides that info.
If Apple felt the need to generate more money for software dev then it would be a universally imposed fee on all Touch owners.
How? "Excuse me sir, but we have to raise the price on that iTouch you bought 3 months ago. Gimme $5 now."
Even if this was for some accounting purpose there was no reason to jack the fee up to $20 when it could have easily been a small fraction of that.
I don't think accounting practices are the reason.
     
SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 03:19 AM
 
I would happily Pony Up for the upgrade if the price hadn't just dropped AU$50 (from AU$549 to $AU499)

So not only does someone buying today get the software free, but also a big saving.
That equates to about AU$75 off in total

Spread The Word

Did the price in the US not go down?
     
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 03:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
By that logic, Apple owes everyone a free copy of Leopard, 'cause new Mac buyers get it "free."
Cut the apologist nonsense.

Your comparison does not follow my statement's logic by any means. Yours is an extended hyperbole which does not pertain to this situation at all.
We are not talking about a new revision of the operating system. In fact this wasn't even a software package that was sold in any form prior to today. This is a cash grab to include 4 minor applications that all other Apple devices that are capable of running them receive for free. Including them was not even reliant on a real iPod OS update as the same applications were running on jailbroken iPods since week one.

Uh, these apps are upgraded. Maps was rewritten for the location feature. And, Apple has to pay fees to that company which provides that info.

How? "Excuse me sir, but we have to raise the price on that iTouch you bought 3 months ago. Gimme $5 now."
Uh, you are being dense.
I was addressing a point someone else made. They purposed that the fee was a necessity to fund further development. To which I responded that if that was the case then the fee would have been extended to all Touches sold even after the announcement. Which is true. If this was because Apple needed the capital to cover this software cost they would impose the same charge on people who bought a Touch tomorrow, thus disproving that person's claim.

I don't think accounting practices are the reason.
I didn't claim it was. Someone else did. But again, in the previous instance Apple claimed it was a necessity based on accounting practices they imposed a fee of only a couple dollars to rectify the issue. Thusfar no one who supports this premise can justify why the fee this time was more than quadrupled.
     
butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 03:39 AM
 
Why don't you think of it this way. When the SDK is released, not every company will be offering applications for free. The 5 applications that Apple are offering as a bundle for the iPod touch (notes excluding) are optimized for use on the iPhone, a device that has internet access more often than the iPod touch. This bundle of 5 applications is the first wave of applications for the iPod touch. Sales of the iPod touch have probably reached the point where Apple can include those 5 apps with newly shipped iPod touches while factoring that $20 into the $299/399 price tag.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB
     
synapse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 04:50 AM
 
We should not be charged for it.. They don't want us to use the free 3rd party cracks.. They should offer their product for free... period... It will happen and or we will end up getting the files via a torrent in a week....
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 05:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by JHromadka View Post
You can't just whitewash it by blaming it on the SOX act. Apple could have easily done to the Touch what they did with the iPhone as far as accounting procedures go and be able to provide that update. It's a money grab, pure and simple. They're charging $20, not ~$5 like the 802.11N update.
As far as accounting procedures are concerned, you are *completely* wrong, since the two products follow entirely different profit structures.

The iPod touch is sold once. Revenue generated. Quarterly income declared. Done. Further functionality delivered later requires payment. End of story.

The iPhone continues to generate revenue for Apple for a full two years after purchase.

They still could have made it $5, rather than $20, so while the SOX Act likely has something to do with their model, they're *also* seeing it as a profit opportunity (they've sold a lot of touches around Christmas).

HOWEVER: By including a perceived $20 value FOR FREE in new iPod touches as of now, that's a "discount" of sorts to help combat the usual post-holiday sales slump.

Seems like excellent business sense to me.

I'd probably still be a little miffed if I'd got one for Christmas, but, well, life's a bitch - learned that in sixth grade.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 05:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
They don't want us to use the free 3rd party cracks.. They should offer their product for free... period...
They'd be a pretty stupid business if they offered their products for free... period... wouldn't they?
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 07:47 AM
 
This price for these apps has nothing to do with accounting. There are already new features in the free 1.1.3 update for the iPod. Apple can introduce new features for free in the iTouch, that much is obvious.

You just have to pay 18€ to get 5 previously written apps.

This is just because Apple can.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 08:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
This price for these apps has nothing to do with accounting. There are already new features in the free 1.1.3 update for the iPod. Apple can introduce new features for free in the iTouch, that much is obvious.
A couple of feature enhancements, or actual new functionality?

The latter is a real problem; it forced them to charge for what was really mostly just a bug-fix update to Logic 7 a few years ago, but unfortunately also included some new import compatibility and a simple plug-in that wasn't ready for the .0-release.

Adding bug fixes, configurable main menus, and multi-recipient SMS is not "new" functionality in the sense that this thing now has new capabilities it didn't before.

Officially adding a mail client, a maps/navigation service, etc. is supplying entirely new functionality that simply wasn't available in this product before (officially/legally).
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
This is just because Apple can.
It's probably that, too, but likely not *just* that.

Though as I said, adding $20 worth of functionality free to all iPod touches shipped now is probably a fairly effective way of combatting the post-Christmas sales slump and probably has a lot to do with why they didn't make it $5..
     
mathew_m
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
 
Those apps should of been included in the first place. It was pure marketing BS not to have the Touch be too similar to the iPhone at launch. Now after the Christmas rush Apple wanted to give a bump to the Touch sales by including the apps. It has nothing to do with "accounting" except to feed Apple's bottom line. I find it humorous that the slobbering, barely intelligible Randy Newman was brought onto stage ranting about evil, greedy corporations yet gave Apple a pass. Apple is no different from any other giant corporation; they're out to make money. It's just that Steve Jobs covers it all up by buddying up with left leaning superstars and his own hippy-dippy karmic view of the universe.
     
ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ozone Park NY USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 11:49 AM
 
Wow, I have had these apps and many more on my iTouch for quite a while working flawlessly via the intaller download. I actually
find it funny that they came out with this now. I think word got to Apple that everybody and their mother was already using
these apps via an iTouch, so we might as well make it easy on all those other customers who do not have it in them do hack the
iTouch and generate some revenue in the process.

Speaking of apps, I think apple would really make the iTouch a breakthrough if they could somehow add the feature where we could pay like a $20 date plan to At&t or any other company for that matter, because what kills the ability of all these Internet based apps like Safari, Mail, and Yahoo maps is that you always seam to need them when you are not near a hotspot.

P.S. Anyways anybody interested in installing the new apps for free, go to You Tube and search for videos under ... iphones apps on iTouch!
     
butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 01:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by mathew_m View Post
Those apps should of been included in the first place. It was pure marketing BS not to have the Touch be too similar to the iPhone at launch. Now after the Christmas rush Apple wanted to give a bump to the Touch sales by including the apps. It has nothing to do with "accounting" except to feed Apple's bottom line. I find it humorous that the slobbering, barely intelligible Randy Newman was brought onto stage ranting about evil, greedy corporations yet gave Apple a pass. Apple is no different from any other giant corporation; they're out to make money. It's just that Steve Jobs covers it all up by buddying up with left leaning superstars and his own hippy-dippy karmic view of the universe.
Personal Technology - WSJ.com

"Apple says the Touch was meant mainly to present typical iPod features, not to replicate the iPhone, and it included the Web browser only so users could get onto Wi-Fi to use the mobile music store in certain places that required a log-in screen."
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB
     
synapse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 04:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
They'd be a pretty stupid business if they offered their products for free... period... wouldn't they?
I was given the credit so yes
     
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: adequate, thanks.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 04:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Overall, it's the value to you... If these apps aren't worth the 1/2 tank of gas money... then skip it.. Then just think of how much better it will be next time you upgrade your device!!
Well, here in Germany it's more of 1/6 tank of gas money…
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 04:42 PM
 
What number do you call? I can't find a regular "Customer Service" number.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
 
Okay, just kidding. I talked to one guy and he was going to give it to me for free. My phone dropped the call in the middle of the conversation. I hate phones. I called back and talked to a girl who said I would have to pay for it. I told her I had talked to so and so two minutes ago and he was going to credit me the money. She said that they couldn't do that. Really cute. Thanks for that Apple. I am so close to going and getting a Zune it's not even funny.
     
f1000
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 05:18 PM
 
Pay-to-play is always a good capitalist policy. Many companies that offer free upgrades also happen to never provide said upgrades. Who cares if an upgrade is free if it stays vaporware? Moreover, charging for upgrades probably means that Apple can charge less for the initial hardware, which is a good thing in my book.

In summary, charging for upgrades incentivizes Apple to keep improving previously sold hardware. As long as Apple doesn't charge for bug fixes, I'll be glad to pay.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
 
It is just wrong though to make money off of loyal customers like this. You shouldn't have to pay for software that has been around for months for an iPhone at the same price. I bet it took an Apple intern all of 2 minutes to put the apps on an iPod touch.
     
butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 05:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It is just wrong though to make money off of loyal customers like this. You shouldn't have to pay for software that has been around for months for an iPhone at the same price. I bet it took an Apple intern all of 2 minutes to put the apps on an iPod touch.
Have you not been reading anything that the rest of us have been posting? Apple never intended the iPod touch to be a pseudo-PDA (and therefore expects that those that want a pseudo-PDA will be willing to pay to have a pseudo-PDA) and Apple has accounting reasons for charging money for the programs.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB
     
Leo the 3rd
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 06:27 PM
 
Well the iTunes listing for the apps no longer is a pay item. It's marked as a "Remind Me Later" button. Wonder what's changing. Hopefully they heard from enough of us yesterday about the $20 price tag for early adopters. Stay tuned.
     
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Have you not been reading anything that the rest of us have been posting? Apple never intended the iPod touch to be a pseudo-PDA
Again, you are the only person in here towing that line.

As for the accounting claim, its been only one theory. A theory which has been contested and contradicted by just as many articles as you can find saying its valid.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 06:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Have you not been reading anything that the rest of us have been posting? Apple never intended the iPod touch to be a pseudo-PDA (and therefore expects that those that want a pseudo-PDA will be willing to pay to have a pseudo-PDA) and Apple has accounting reasons for charging money for the programs.
They never intended for the iPod to become a fad either. Settle down. Apple has always respected customers. The fact that they are slighting people for getting a product early on is disturbing.
     
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 06:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It is just wrong though to make money off of loyal customers like this. You shouldn't have to pay for software that has been around for months for an iPhone at the same price.
iPhone users paid for this software when they purchased the phone. Its part of the total price. When Touch users purchased their Touch's, they didn't pay for this software. I don't care if this software was written 10 years ago, you never paid for it. Now they are asking a measly $20 to add the apps that every single Touch user has been begging for since day one and there's nothing but complaining about it.

And I fully realize that the current Touch's will come with this software with no price change. But consider that basically the same thing as early iPhone adopters paying what amounted to $100 more for the same phone as people are buying today. Its the price one pays for being the first on their block with a brand new toy. This stuff happens, and sometime you just have to swallow it and move on.

Of course complaining sometimes gets results, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple rescinds this fee because of the uproar. But personally I feel like its another example of consumers feeling as if they are entitled to things they aren't actually entitled to. Sure Apple isn't making any new friends with this small move, but if anyone jumps ship because of $20 is just being petty in my opinion.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I bet it took an Apple intern all of 2 minutes to put the apps on an iPod touch.
I'll take that bet.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 07:11 PM
 
I just got off the phone with Apple again. This time the guy told me that he couldn't do anything unless it was purchased at an actual Apple Store - total BS. I bought mine at an Apple retailer (Fort Carson). I have the feeling that nobody really knows what's going on at Apple Customer Service right now.
     
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston, Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 08:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
As far as accounting procedures are concerned, you are *completely* wrong, since the two products follow entirely different profit structures.

The iPod touch is sold once. Revenue generated. Quarterly income declared. Done. Further functionality delivered later requires payment. End of story.
Then why doesn't Apple have to charge when they release OS updates that add functionality, such as a printer or phone that wasn't supported before, or when they update iLife to support a new video camera?
     
Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by JHromadka View Post
Then why doesn't Apple have to charge when they release OS updates that add functionality, such as a printer or phone that wasn't supported before, or when they update iLife to support a new video camera?
New applications are not the same thing as added compatibility. When's the last time you got iLife for free outside of buying a new Mac? What about using the latest version of iChat without upgrading your OS?

When the N wireless Patch came out they originally were going to charge $5 for it... they moved that down to $2 almost right away. Maybe there's a chance it will decrease in such a fashion for this too... either way.. you already bought a device that was more expensive than it should be and really isn't that great. $20 shouldn't kill you.
     
synapse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
 
This is funny coming back to read all of this... I have a theory which I have not done yet because I am currently backing up my I-Touch. Lets think for a moment for the product that is currently out there not purchased prior to this change. My thoughts that as when I first connected my I-Touch it looked for an update... So my theory is if you have an I Touch with 1.1.1 installed then it should upgrade you to the new January Update as if you bought it new. I figure it wouldnt work for everyone that upgraded to 1.1.2. I will tell you how this goes.

-Synapse
     
macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 09:41 PM
 
If you don't want it- don't buy it. Is it not that difficult? Had I bought the iPod Touch rather than the iPhone, I would be excited for this release and happily pay the fee. Seriously, someone already mentioned it, but TWENTY dollars. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2008, 10:01 PM
 
$20 is a lot when you barely have an income ( I had been saving for a new iPod for four months when the touch came out, and then saved until December to get a touch).
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 06:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
$20 is a lot when you barely have an income ( I had been saving for a new iPod for four months when the touch came out, and then saved until December to get a touch).
Not to sound like an ass, and it's really none of my business, but if it's that tough, I think I'd have about sixty priorities WAY higher than a new iPod.

In fact, that's why I'm still running with my 1st-generation 5GB iPod.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 10:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
If you don't want it- don't buy it. Is it not that difficult? Had I bought the iPod Touch rather than the iPhone, I would be excited for this release and happily pay the fee. Seriously, someone already mentioned it, but TWENTY dollars. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
$20 for every update will start to add up. And, if customers just roll over and take this, how long before Apple decides they need to start charging for incremental updates to OSX? Given how excited people get about the release of 10.5.x, I'm certain many people would happily pay for that as well.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 04:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
$20 for every update will start to add up. And, if customers just roll over and take this, how long before Apple decides they need to start charging for incremental updates to OSX? Given how excited people get about the release of 10.5.x, I'm certain many people would happily pay for that as well.
That Apple will start charging for 10.5.x updates will happen if things progress as they have.. not even Microsith charges for their service packs, but I'm sure Apple will be step ahead of them there as they are in other innovations.

I can see Apple do that, though - given that they thought this 20 dollar "upgrade" price was a good idea.

Bad kharma Steve

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 05:48 PM
 
Wait - they charge $20 for *additional* applications.

I dunno - the world survived Apple charging for iWork (despite AppleWorks having been bundled in earlier times), as well. I think iWork should be bundled on new machines, but hey - their decision.

I see this as the test run for selling applications for the iPhone and iPod touch once the SDK comes out.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 05:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Not to sound like an ass, and it's really none of my business, but if it's that tough, I think I'd have about sixty priorities WAY higher than a new iPod.

In fact, that's why I'm still running with my 1st-generation 5GB iPod.
That's why it took so long, because I have other priorities.
     
macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 06:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Wait - they charge $20 for *additional* applications.

I dunno - the world survived Apple charging for iWork (despite AppleWorks having been bundled in earlier times), as well. I think iWork should be bundled on new machines, but hey - their decision.

I see this as the test run for selling applications for the iPhone and iPod touch once the SDK comes out.
So the next question is.. would you pay for applications when the SDK comes out?
     
mathew_m
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 07:36 PM
 
[QUOTE=analogika;3580803]Wait - they charge $20 for *additional* applications.
[QUOTE]

That are included with any new iPod Touch purchased after Christmas. Charging $20 is a crass move on Apple's part to make some extra money.
     
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2008, 07:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by mathew_m View Post
That are included with any new iPod Touch purchased after Christmas. Charging $20 is a crass move on Apple's part to make some extra money.
Why would you say that? Its the same exact thing as reducing the price on the iPhone by $200, but still selling the exact same phone they did for $600. Only in this case, they are keeping the price the same but adding way more functionality to the product by including these apps. Early iPhone users essentially had to pay $100 to use the same phone as what is on the shelves today. Early Touch users have to pay $20 for the same product that is on the shelves today.

This is "adding value" to a product. Of course there will always be a segment of the user base that feels betrayed, but in the real world of hardcore business this is the game and Apple has to play it. I have a feeling that Apple might lose a few customers over charging $20 for this, but I honestly don't see this making a big dent in their market share.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,