Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Data usage thru the ROOF on iPhone4!

Data usage thru the ROOF on iPhone4!
mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 06:57 AM

When I got my iPhone4 I heard there were new AT&T data plans that were cheaper that didn't include unlimited usage so I checked my data usage history on AT&Ts website and found that my biggest month on record was only 60MB which is just a third of the lowest plan's 200MB limit and a fraction of the higher plan's 2GIG limit so I decided to save $15 and give up my unlimited plan forever.

Instantly I noticed that my data usage shot thru the roof and obviously I'll be charged for overages or have to upgrade unless I can figure out what's going on. I don't even hardly ever use my phone except when I'm at home on the WiFi. In fact I'm only in the U.S. for about 9 hours a day and I'm working the whole time in an area with almost no freaking signal!!! Is AT&T using a new formula to calculate usage? Is the iPhone4 doing something different? I haven't changed my push preferences or downloaded something that is constantly streaming that I know of. Is it the new multitasking that is leaving apps running in the background constantly updating maps or something??? Help!!!

( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Jul 20, 2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: edited pic)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2010, 07:46 AM

Multitasking seems to be getting you. I think a lot of people running iOS4 are going to be bitten by the same problem. I haven't found the "master control center" that lets you see what's running concurrently, or I'd point you to it, but I think that's the best place to start.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ewiser
Jul 20, 2010, 11:06 AM

Double click the home button to see what is running in the background. Touch and hold the app icon and then touch the -minus icon in the background section to kill the background running app.
Any app that you have used recently will be there. Kill all that you do not want to use again soon.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2010, 12:03 PM

I'd have to say that one of the next updates needs a better app kill system instead of having to kill each one individually. It's currently a pain in the ass IMHO.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2010, 12:10 PM

I find the background app management to be pretty poor as well. Especially since we're now supposed to watch our data usage. I predict AT&T getting a lot of angry(er) customers about this issue when they see their bills.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 12:42 PM

Hmm, sounds like it needs an application manager of some sort.

Steve will never allow that in the App Store.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2010, 12:48 PM

Maybe just a settings panel that lets us have some control over background apps. Such as limiting the number of apps allowed to run concurrently, the amount of data you want going up and down in the background, the amount that will show up in the little dock dealie, etc...

Not a task manager, but a little more control for people who seek it out.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 02:17 PM

You might want to take your cell phone number off of that image.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Cold Warrior
Jul 20, 2010, 05:58 PM

Erring on the side of privacy, I've edited your picture to remove your phone number.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks, I didn't even notice my number on there! Can't believe it was up all day an not one person called me though ;-[ I always post my licence plate number on pictures of my car without fuzzing it out too and nobody ever follows me home and stabs me either!

I guess I'll have to switch to the 2GIG plan to avoid huge overage bills so I guess I'm playing right into AT&T's plans. I already called them and they can't tell me anything except that I can't switch back to unlimited data. I guess it will still be $5 cheaper than my old plan though so I shouldn't be too pissed.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Multitasking seems to be getting you. I think a lot of people running iOS4 are going to be bitten by the same problem. I haven't found the "master control center" that lets you see what's running concurrently, or I'd point you to it, but I think that's the best place to start.
I believe that Steve said something about a "task manager" being poor design.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Thanks, I didn't even notice my number on there! Can't believe it was up all day an not one person called me though ;-[ I always post my licence plate number on pictures of my car without fuzzing it out too and nobody ever follows me home and stabs me either!
I was thinking about texting you after I posted, but I didn't know how you would receive it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I'd agree. It should be both obvious to see what's running and trivial to end an app that you don't want running-without any additional app. I think we had a discussion about how this might work before iOS4 actually came out, and I suggested one potential way to switch between and/or kill apps-a method that was not some sort of "task manager." But that's not the way they went anyway, and having to go through a number of hoops to identify and then kill apps you don't want running is not only a royal PITA, it's also "bad design."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
He said if you had to include a task manager, "you blew it." Funny how Apple includes a task manager...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 09:21 PM

so, I actually agree with both of you. I'm just getting increasingly tired with Steve's marketing speak of late.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2010, 12:29 AM

I just checked mine. My last month was 673 MB. The previous few months were averaging about 100. Curiously, my February was 482. I still have the unlimited plan and was thinking about going to the 2GB one. I'll let it ride for a few more months to see. I guess I shouldn't be checking the Speedtest app several times a day.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 06:43 AM

Strange—mine doesn’t seem to have shot through the roof like that at all. I usually average about 120–130, and last month’s, while higher, was still only about 190. On the other hand, I did travel a bit (where I turned off data roaming due to extortionate prices), so I should wait till August to check for sure …

asxless
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 05:46 PM

I just checked our July bill and... The data usage for our iPhone 3Gs running iOS4 roughly doubled our typical prior months' usage

FWIW the Data Usage Calculator on the AT&T site is quite interesting. It only takes couple of hours/day of streaming internet radio to push the 2GB plan limit. I think we will be keeping our "unlimited plan" for awhile longer

asxless in iLand

Forum Links
Forum Rules