Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So how big a HD do I need on a PS3? ...

So how big a HD do I need on a PS3? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011, 07:44 PM

I see they have 40gb, 80, 120, 160, 250, and 320. The boy wants a PS3 and the prices just dropped so we're talking about it.

We're used to the PS2, where all the data are stored on the optical disks, and you save your games on small (maybe 32mb?) flash cards.

With the PS3, the games still come on optical media, so what is all the storage for? How much do I need? What might make me want a PS3 with more than 40gb or 80gb?

Thanks!
Chris

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2011, 12:32 AM

Blu-ray discs may offer large amounts of storage, but they are still slow regarding access times and transfer. Critcal files are loaded from the discs to the hd to reduce load times in most games. Large amounts of storage space isn't necessary just for this though.

The PS3 offers quite a bit of games/demos/music/movie entertainment downloads via the PS3 market. That is what will chew up your hd space.

In general I'd say that the smaller hd is fine if it is going to be used primarily as a game machine or BD player. You probably can't find one with a small hd any more anyway, as those should all be older models. The original PS3 models were 40/60gb and were the only units to offer hardware backwards compatibility with the ps2. The later 80gb offered software compatibility. After that the eliminated the ps2 function entirely.

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks!

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2011, 09:20 AM

While not as well populated as the xBox, there is an online store where you can buy games. Those will use the HD, but I'd say an 80 or a 120 is likely fine.

What size does the kid want?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2011, 12:44 PM

You can buy one with a smaller drive and upgrade later because the PS3 takes standard laptop drives, and I understand the installation is simple. No real need to pay the Sony hard drive premium if you don't want to.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2011, 01:16 PM

Big Mac is right. On the slim PS3 swapping in a 2.5" HDD couldn't possibly be any easier.

Rumor
Aug 21, 2011, 02:45 PM

I have a 60 GB HD in my 360, and I am constantly uninstalling games to make space for new ones. It is always nice to not have to worry about it. Then again, that's me. It may be different for him.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2011, 04:52 PM

I bought one of the old 40GB PS3s several years ago, and almost immediately upgraded to a larger hard drive. The one I currently have is a 500GB I bought off New Egg for around $70 (can't remember exact price). Now you can buy a 750GB or 1TB for not much more. I haven't filled mine up, but I'm in the process of ripping and storing all 9 seasons of Seinfeld to it, so if there's in interest in such an endeavor...go for it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2011, 05:43 PM

If the price points aren't too far apart, buy the one with the biggest drive available. It's less trouble. On the other hand, if swapping out the drive is easier than the XBox system (special enclosure AND special format), then get the version that has the best "bang for the buck" and decide to change out the drive when you eventually need to.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
Aug 21, 2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If the price points aren't too far apart, buy the one with the biggest drive available. It's less trouble. On the other hand, if swapping out the drive is easier than the XBox system (special enclosure AND special format), then get the version that has the best "bang for the buck" and decide to change out the drive when you eventually need to.
From my understanding, it is a lot easier than the 360.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2011, 06:56 PM

Yes, it is. It's not a special drive like Microsoft demands.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2011, 11:35 PM

It's incredibly easy.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2011, 07:02 AM

Sounds like the decision comes down to how much storage you can get in the box for how little money... Much better than MS's "SATA drive in a proprietary carrier with a proprietary interface connector and a proprietary drive format." MUCH better!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules