Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > California is toast

California is toast (Page 4)
Thread Tools
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 01:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'd almost rather see cigarettes banned. I hate the damn things. I'm just glad that it's illegal to smoke in bars and restaurants here now.

And drunks piss me off to no end, despite I've been one from time to time in the past.

BTW, although in truth I'm rather neutral on the issue of the legalization of pot, I also think it's foolish to think that smoking weed isn't very bad for your health. It might not be worse than smoking cigarettes, but smoking cigarettes is TERRIBLE for your health.
And, this is my thing on the legalization of pot: I couldn't care less, but I can't understand how people opposed to legalizing pot don't think that alcohol and cigarettes should also be illegal (and, quite often it's conservatives who are complaining about the nanny state mentality that bans smoking in certain places).
     
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 02:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
So, what about Texas and its unchecked conservatism?
To pretend Texas is in the same boat as California is just pure liberal fantasy. (Then again, what else is most of liberalism but fantasy?)

California's TOTAL debt drawfs Texas- the public debt is over $300 billion, with an additional $500 billion in unfunded pension liabilities. Texas has almost nothing but positives in its economic playbook, compared to California's near lock on negatives.

California: in the past decade lost a net 1.5 million citizens drawing middle class and upper middle class salaries IE: taxpayers. These people have been driven out by the stupid punitive policies of sacramento that have gutted California's business sectors.
Texas: in the same decade has gained a net 145,000 of those income earners and taxpayers.

California: current unemployment rate at 12.3% (above the national average of 9%)
Texas: current unemployment rate at 8% (below the national average)

California spends 12% more than Texas per student, yet Texas's students are 1 to 2 years ahead of their California counterparts. Across all races, Texas's students are better educated and perform better.

California: each citizen's share of the state debt per capita is $2,362
Texas: each citizen's share of the state debt per capita is $520

According to CEO's polled about where to locate their businesses (you know, those eeeeeevil things liberals all hate, until it comes time to allow some politician you worship to take credit for jobs being 'created'?) Texas ranks #1 in favorable business climate. California ranks dead last.

On just about any index of business climate you can find, Texas scores toward the top, while California lingers at or very near the bottom.

California: Moody's rating of Baa1 and S&P A-
Texas: Moody's rating of Aa1 and S&P A++

Put in perspective- California's rating is three grades above 'non investment' status. It's considered a worse investment than Kazakhstan! Greece is on more solid footing than California! Texas, by comparison, has one of the best credit ratings. Even if Texas had to borrow it's way out of debt- it could concievably do so, because it's economic engine tells lenders they would be able to PAY IT BACK. (A concept once again, I'm sure so foreign to government suck-up libs that one may as well be writing in hieroglyphs.) California on the other hand has borrowed as much as it can- AND THEN SOME. Any lender would be OUT OF THEIR SKULLS to lend California another solitary DIME. In fact- any lender is likely already OWED by California.

Texas now has more fortune 500 companies than California- in fact, it leads the nation. Liberals of course celebrate that those eeeeeevil corporations aren't moving to their states, but SANE people with actual mature adult minds realize they represent JOBS and having an actual CAREER, not living off mommy's dime or being a ward of the nanny state.

California: state income top tax rate: 10.3% Capital Gains: 10.55%
Texas: ZERO and NADA

California: sales taxes 8.25%
Texas: sales taxes 6.25%

So everything in Texas's more favorable column exists IN SPITE of the liberal fantasy that higher taxes- or in this case even ANY taxes- are necessary. It proves that California has done NOTHING via tax and spend but transfer billions of dollars out of the private sector into the public sector rathole of fraud and bureaucracy. All of the money stolen from the private sector in California has bought taxpayers NOTHING and cost them everything.

Texas proves that everything could have been done far chear and better IF the state government were actually run efficiently. (IE: not run by liberal Democrats.)

I know this fact just eats you tax and spenders up, because for whatever weird sycophantic reason you just LOVE your beloved big nanny government stealing everyone else's income (oh, you're getting even with those terrible rich people I guess!) and tossing down a rathole and producing ZILCH, but the fact stands- your nanny state is a total failure and views you only as a continued cash cow. So forget "Rah! Rah! Rah!"and just start going "Moo." It's more accurate to how Sacramento views you.

Finally, California is poised for even more disaster. We just elected a total tax and spend moron of the first order. Moonbeam is the architect of giving the state unions so much power they've mortgaged your grandchildren's lifetime earnings already,and will now start working on THEIR children's earnings. It only gets worse. Texans aren't in that same sinking ship, and don't keep voting themselves farther over the cliff.

And that stupid global warming initiative is the equivalent of the state standing on the edge of a cliff pointing a gun at its own head. No state has ever done something so stupid as far as killing jobs and economic growth. Now that Moonbeam is in and no one can stop it. it's going to completely gut what was left of decent paying jobs in this state. Even as the rest of the nation will eventually pull out of the recession, California is busy constructing it's own continued perpetual economic meltdown.

Texas is in no such position, not by any stretch of the liberal imagination, either currently, or in setting itself up for inevitable continuing failure like California.


Many of these things used to be in California's favor, but it's been the complete takeover and gutting of California's economic might by liberal Democrats and their ruinous tax and spend policies of the past 25 years that have reversed this. You can keep covering for them, but it's really just jobs you'll never have, homes you'll never afford, and money you'll never be paid that been chased beyond the reach of many average Californians by utter nitwits. And for what? So your precious goverment can whine that they STILL don't have enough of your money? Now pick up your pom-poms and give a cheer for fat and bloated Team Big Government. "Rah! Rah! Rah!" And don't forget: "Moo!" like a good little cash cow.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 03:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
To pretend Texas is in the same boat as California is just pure liberal fantasy. (Then again, what else is most of liberalism but fantasy?)

California's TOTAL debt drawfs Texas- the public debt is over $300 billion, with an additional $500 billion in unfunded pension liabilities. Texas has almost nothing but positives in its economic playbook, compared to California's near lock on negatives.

California: in the past decade lost a net 1.5 million citizens drawing middle class and upper middle class salaries IE: taxpayers. These people have been driven out by the stupid punitive policies of sacramento that have gutted California's business sectors.
Texas: in the same decade has gained a net 145,000 of those income earners and taxpayers.

California: current unemployment rate at 12.3% (above the national average of 9%)
Texas: current unemployment rate at 8% (below the national average)

California spends 12% more than Texas per student, yet Texas's students are 1 to 2 years ahead of their California counterparts. Across all races, Texas's students are better educated and perform better.

California: each citizen's share of the state debt per capita is $2,362
Texas: each citizen's share of the state debt per capita is $520
I love how your made up fake facts don't add up.

California's public debt is over $300 billion? Really?

$2,362 * 37 million people = $87.4 billion

California's debt levels soar under Schwarzenegger | California Watch

Texas:

$520 * 24.8 million people = $12.9 billion debt

Houston, we have a problem.

PolitiFact Texas | Perry says Houston has more debt per capita than California
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 11:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I love how your made up fake facts don't add up.

California's public debt is over $300 billion? Really?
Indeed. All that yakking and not a single reference to back up what he said. But that's typical for Crash n'est-ce pas?

I wonder what the State Treasurer's office in California had to say about its debt?

As of December 1, 2009, California had $83.5 billion of outstanding long-term debt
http://www.treasurer.ca.gov/debt.pdf



OAW
     
LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: petting the refrigerator.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
 
I think most of the lower taxes in Texas have more to due with its oil revenue rather than conservative government.
are you lightfooted?
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 01:10 PM
 
I wonder how much pollution and such is caused by the pot smokers in CA? Perhaps a pollution 'fee' for them?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 01:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I wonder how much pollution and such is caused by the pot smokers in CA? Perhaps a pollution 'fee' for them?
Thread:
Person A: Blah blah blah, California Debt
Person B: Blah blah blah, Texas Debt
Person C: Blah Blah Blah, California & Texas
BadKosh: Pot is pollution!

lolwut
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 01:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I wonder how much pollution and such is caused by the pot smokers in CA? Perhaps a pollution 'fee' for them?
You inadvertently brought up a valid point. Growers are using a lot of electrical power. Humboldt county (known for its marijuana use) has seen as much as 60% increase in electricity usage because of people growing marijuana inside their homes.

The local police are actually petitioning the power company for records on electrical use of households, then getting warrants to investigate homes using 3x as much energy as they should be using.

As people caught onto that, they started installing diesel generators with no idea how to operate, maintain, or even fill. There's also been a relatively large increase in complaints for diesel smoke, fires, and fuel spills.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 01:32 PM
 
But all of that argues in favor of legalization right? Because the power usage (vs sunlight) all stems from the need for secrecy?
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 01:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
But all of that argues in favor of legalization right? Because the power usage (vs sunlight) all stems from the need for secrecy?
Yes. It would reduce impact on the environment, save the state hundreds of millions of dollars in not having to prosecute and jail marijuana users, and bring in additional money from taxes and regulation.

Unfortunately Proposition 19 didn't pass, once again thanks to Church of Latter Day Saints.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 02:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Indeed. All that yakking and not a single reference to back up what he said. But that's typical for Crash n'est-ce pas?

At least he's rarely aggressive about it. Ummm.. wait...
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 02:53 PM
 
I'll never say that weed is 'safe' or a 'harmless' drug.

Fact is it's a drug, and it is certainly an intoxicant. My argument stems from the fact I have lots of history with both drinking and smoking and I see no way in hell that we should allow people to get stinking drunk within the bounds of law but throw people in jail for smoking a joint. Have the minimum age the same as tobacco, apply the same OUI laws against being stoned, etc... There is no reason an adult can be called a criminal because he prefers a little weed on the weekends instead of whiskey.
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 04:29 PM
 
Oxycodone (OxyContin) abuse has an average of 50% mortality rate. That's higher than any other illegal drug on the streets. It's also extremely addictive and has a horrible withdrawal. Non clinical use of the drug has made it the most prolific drug on the market, beating out marijuana, cocaine, and heroine. There is a drug that blocks opiod receptors and can actually break a person's addiction relatively painlessly, but it is next to impossible for a physician to prescribe it.

And we're worried about marijuana.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Zip, Boom, Bam
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Indeed. All that yakking and not a single reference to back up what he said. But that's typical for Crash n'est-ce pas?

I wonder what the State Treasurer's office in California had to say about its debt?



http://www.treasurer.ca.gov/debt.pdf



OAW
What, no bold text and your usual smoke-screening? Notice how you can't refute virtually anything I posted- as usual. You're more than welcome to do your own research.

Face it, you libs went off on your usual fantasyland bullcrap about Texas being just like California, when it isn't.

California Debt may be half a trillion dollars.

Lockyer's warning pertained to the state's "general obligation debt," which currently stands at $59 billion, (in 2009, now it's higher) and there are an additional $50-plus billion in general obligation bonds that have not yet been sold.
No one keeps complete data on local government general obligation debt, but it appears to be roughly the same as the state's, perhaps $50 billion, plus several billion dollars in debt incurred by local redevelopment agencies.

There are tens of billions in specialized state debt, such as veteran home loan bonds, "securitization" of tobacco lawsuit proceeds, and budget deficit bonds.

The interest that must be paid on all that state and local debt is probably an additional $100 billion, so we're already talking about well over $500 billion.
Actually, we're already talking about more. Since this was written, the local debt and bond obligations not yet realized are just as high- and the 500 billion total figure was including the previous unfunded pension liability at an estimated $200 billion. We now of course know that (as with everything else) the state was cooking the books on that as well- the real liability as I pointed out is $500 billion!

The state of California's real unfunded pension debt clocks in at more than $500 billion, nearly eight times greater than officially reported.
Look, even bolded that for you. Don't you just love how your heroes manage to underreport things by as much as EIGHT TIMES! I'm sure it makes you want to break out your pom-poms and do another cheer for them: "Rah! Rah! Team Big Government robbing us blind and covering it up! Rah! Rah! Go team!"

So let's see: we've got the 'official' 87 billion in debt- another $50 billion in general obligation bonds not yet taken, another $50 in local debt, and yet another $100 billion in interest on all that debt. That comes to around $287 billion in real debt- maybe not quite $300 billion, but pretty damn close. If you've got any evidence that says otherwise, that all this has been paid back, present it, but I've seen no such evidence, and in fact, it's likely to have gotten worse.

And all of this AS IF having a debt load of 87 billion plus $500 billion in unfunded pension mandates were anything to sweep under the rug- it just shows how liberals have no freakin' concept of the amounts of money we're actually talking about. These are sums of money entire countries deal with- and here liberalism has brought on this kind of debt to a single state.

Again, Texas sticks a big thorn in your tax and spend hoop dreams because they PROVE that all of it is exactly what it is- pure fraud and waste that's almost entirely unnecessary. Texas isn't in anywhere the financial nightmare that is California, but by all means, keep dreaming that it is. Heaven forbid you'd ever actually have to examine any of the actual RESULTS of all your big government cheerleading.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2010, 11:52 PM
 
Crash,

You are simply being disingenuous here. In addition to being all over the map. You first cite a 300 billion dollar figure for California. Which given the context of this thread is in reference to the STATE. You are challenged on that with official state documents from the State Treasurer showing an 87 billion dollar figure. And then you respond with an article by Dan Walters of the Sacramento Bee … a political columnist … only to toss out a 500 billion dollar figure. No wait … what did the article say? … "MAY BE half a trillion dollars". So not only do you fail to substantiate your original 300 billion dollar figure. You compound the foolishness by citing a political columnist that's telling you from jump street that he's speculating with the "may be" caveat in the headline. And to put a cherry on top … all of his speculation is in reference to STATE and all LOCAL governments in California. Which isn't even an apples to apples comparison given the discussion at hand.

When the federal deficit/debt is being discussed do we include in that figure the deficit/debt of all 50 states and every single locality in the country?

The answer of course is no. It is beyond obvious that the discussion at hand is a comparison of the debt of the STATE of California with the debt of the STATE of Texas. For you to go and try to toss the debt of every single LOCALITY in California into the mix is quite demonstrative of just how much of a joke your credibility is on the subject.

Anyway, enough of this because as usual you are long on unnecessary hostility and ideology but short on facts. Think I'll finish watching Nikita on the DVR. Totally fail to see the fascination with this Maggie Q chick. She's built like a 12 year old boy. Peta Wilson was waaaaaayyyyy hotter in this role.

OAW
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 01:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Oxycodone (OxyContin) abuse has an average of 50% mortality rate. That's higher than any other illegal drug on the streets. It's also extremely addictive and has a horrible withdrawal. Non clinical use of the drug has made it the most prolific drug on the market, beating out marijuana, cocaine, and heroine. There is a drug that blocks opiod receptors and can actually break a person's addiction relatively painlessly, but it is next to impossible for a physician to prescribe it.

And we're worried about marijuana.
After my arm surgery I was prescribed very potent amount of Percocet, full bottle. I can say, with no exaggeration, that I built up a tolerance AND dependance within days. Refined opiates are something else...

One of my friend's dad is a Pharmacist, and he has been held up at gun-point, twice, guess for which drug?OCs

Pot users may be a bit slow and have an insatiable lust for snack food, but they ain't drug addicts, real drug addicts are somethin else.
     
finboy
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 03:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
After my arm surgery I was prescribed very potent amount of Percocet, full bottle. I can say, with no exaggeration, that I built up a tolerance AND dependance within days. Refined opiates are something else...

One of my friend's dad is a Pharmacist, and he has been held up at gun-point, twice, guess for which drug?OCs

Pot users may be a bit slow and have an insatiable lust for snack food, but they ain't drug addicts, real drug addicts are somethin else.
I've been around some pot users who were something else, too. And then when they moved on to harder stuff, they were even worse.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 04:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I've been around some pot users who were something else, too. And then when they moved on to harder stuff, they were even worse.

If the argument here is that pot is a gateway drug, can nicotine, prescription drugs, or alcohol be a gateway into other substances as well? If so, I'm not sure how this argument really has any practical application if anything could, in theory, be a gateway into anything else, unless you can prove that it is a gateway for a significant percentage of users?

I have no evidence to support this, but based on my personal experience I would surmise that pot being a gateway into other things is true for a relatively small percentage of users.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 09:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I've been around some pot users who were something else, too. And then when they moved on to harder stuff, they were even worse.
And, I've been around some pot users who, over a 20 year span, have only ever used pot.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 09:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I wonder how much pollution and such is caused by the pot smokers in CA? Perhaps a pollution 'fee' for them?
That's a great idea. And, we could triple the amount taken in by that fee if we extend it to include all of the cigarette butts tossed to the ground by nicotine smokers.

I wonder when BadKosh became an environmentalist?
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 02:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I've been around some pot users who were something else, too. And then when they moved on to harder stuff, they were even worse.
What did they move on to pot from? Booze? Nicotine? Caffeine? Sugar?

The idea that pot is the definitive gateway to using drugs is ridiculous. You can't pinpoint when someone smokes a joint and say that is the beginning of their getting high career.

As little kids we get our high from sugary treats. The need to feel better through substances is not born out of pot use, nor is the need to try harder and harder drugs something that is exclusive to weed.

Again, pot can only be considered a gateway drug due to its illegality and nothing else. Through drug dealers you can *gasp* get other drugs. Take them out of the equation altogether.

There is nothing in marijuana, that has been proven by any scientific study, that leads the user to seek out a more powerful high. There is nothing but speculation and misinformation about the subject that would have you believe pot is more dangerous than drugs we allow the populace to buy as much of as they want.

You say you knew guys who smoked pot and moved on to hard drugs, I know people who were heavy drinkers and moved on to Cocaine too and ended up 6 feet under. Booze is a gateway drug, Cigarettes are a gateway drug, Snickers are a gateway drug...just look at all these morbidly obese people and tell me their 6000 calorie meal doesn't get them high.
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 02:05 PM
 
Imagine if Pot was legalized across the U.S, it'd be a bill and ted movie all across America.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2010, 02:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I wonder when BadKosh became an environmentalist?
When it suits his hypocritical views.
     
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 7, 2010, 07:57 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Pot users may be a bit slow and have an insatiable lust for snack food, but they ain't drug addicts, real drug addicts are somethin else.
Chiropractors.
ebuddy
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 7, 2010, 10:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Imagine if Pot was legalized across the U.S, it'd be a bill and ted movie all across America.
Or, it'd be no different than it is today. Alcohol is legal, and only a few people are irresponsible with it's use.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 7, 2010, 10:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Chiropractors.
No. Chiropractors are more like drug *dealers*.
     
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
 
Allysia Finley: California Is the Lindsay Lohan of States and Sacramento Shouldn't Expect a Bailout - WSJ.com

California: The Lindsay Lohan of States

After enjoying ephemeral highs and spending binges, you suffer crashes that culminate in brief, unsuccessful stints in rehab. This cycle repeats itself every five to 10 years, as the rest of the country looks on with a mixture of horror and amusement. We'd feel sorry for you if you didn't constantly flip us the bird.
[...]
Your government's run by a brothel of environmentalists, lawyers, public-sector unions and legislative bums.
[...]
You appropriately give your government low marks, [...] yet you continue to re-elect the politicians who got you into this mess. Not a single incumbent state legislator lost re-election this year, including one Democrat who died a month ago (no joke).
Sad, but so true.

-t
     
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2010, 03:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Texas isn't faring much better with its unchecked conservatism.
Well , well, finally found some nice comparison.

See link for nice table comparing CA, IL, TX and NY: California Borrows $40 Million Per Day To Pay For Unemployment Insurance | zero hedge

Looks to me that CA is in much worse shape than TExas with its unchecked conservatism.

-t
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2010, 04:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well , well, finally found some nice comparison.

See link for nice table comparing CA, IL, TX and NY: California Borrows $40 Million Per Day To Pay For Unemployment Insurance | zero hedge

Looks to me that CA is in much worse shape than TExas with its unchecked conservatism.

-t

Once again. It's the economy stupid.

Thanks Pres. Bush for f*cking up the economy.

California unemployment rate is higher than Texas.

Texas borrowed over $2 billion for unemployment benefits.

33 states out of money to fund unemployment benefits - Apr. 8, 2010
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2010, 04:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Once again. It's the economy stupid.

Thanks Pres. Bush for f*cking up the economy.
I'm starting to think you're a liberal spam bot.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2010, 05:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm starting to think you're a liberal spam bot.
I'm starting to think you have nothing intelligent to say.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2010, 05:03 PM
 
Being called an idiot from the court jester holds little value.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 8, 2010, 05:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Being called an idiot from the court jester holds little value.
Now I know you have nothing intelligent to say.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
When it suits his hypocritical views.
Liberal dolts:

Obviously, you missed the point that CA had a bill legalizing pot up for vote this past Nov 2. (Didn't pass) Since the morons in Ca are such tree huggers you would assume that those CA nit-wits would just have to add in a pollution tax for pot smokers. Its typical liberal knee-jerk reaction. Its not hypocrisy, it sarcasm.
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 9, 2010, 11:37 AM
 
Apparently the liberal dolts just don't 'get' what Libs and Dems are really all about!
     
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 9, 2010, 12:18 PM
 
California also has a lot of old people which seriously f*cks up their Prop votes.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 9, 2010, 12:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Liberal dolts:

Obviously, you missed the point that CA had a bill legalizing pot up for vote this past Nov 2. (Didn't pass) Since the morons in Ca are such tree huggers you would assume that those CA nit-wits would just have to add in a pollution tax for pot smokers. Its typical liberal knee-jerk reaction. Its not hypocrisy, it sarcasm.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2011, 11:15 PM
 
Long, but awesome read:

California and Bust -- Vanity Fair

-t
     
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I know how to make toast. You put regular bread in the toaster and press the little slider down, wait for a little bit, and then toast comes out.
What do you put on your toast?
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2011, 11:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What do you put on your toast?

Government cheese!
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2011, 11:06 AM
 
I want some Texas size Toast with extra gravy sauce.

In one year, Texas public debt increase by about 300%?

So Texas public debt went from $520 per capita to $1,568 per capita in one year?

Last year, it was $12.9 billion public debt according to Crash. Now it's $40 billion in public debt in 2011?

Texas’ debt rises to $282.6 billion: study | Texas Budget Source

Oops. Looks like Crash was wrong and/or made up facts. Texas public debt wasn't $520 per capital in 2010. More like $520 per capita in 2001.

Texas' debt growing at faster rate than U.S. government's | News | News from Fort Worth,...

From 2001 to 2010, state debt alone grew from $13.4 billion to $37.8 billion, according to the Texas Bond Review Board. That's an increase of 281 percent. Over the same time, the national debt rose almost 234 percent, with two wars, two tax cuts and stimulus spending.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2011, 11:23 AM
 
Damn Texas. Congratulations on almost catching up to California in public debt per capita.

That's quite accomplishment considering California has an unemployment rate of over 12% and Texas being around 8.5%.

Texas' debt growing at faster rate than U.S. government's | News | News from Fort Worth,...


Combine state and local, and in 2010, he estimates that Texas had debt of $8,943 per person, $380 more than the average for all the states. In 2001, the Texas debt load was $4,608 per person -- and $843 lower than the states' average.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,